RealModScene
tomcat383

What is the proper temperature?

Hi,

I've got xbox360 SLIM 4g AND I just download the latest FSD 3 and i have noticed that the FAN speed is on automatic ( i can say that i heard him work ...) , and i am not sure that indeed it is working , what is the working temperature( according to the temperature bar on top ..) since i think that my XBOX is to hot but i am not sure , when i touch it its quite hot , when i change the FAN to be manually ( lets say 60%) i can hear it working and the temperature get down ..

What is the proper temperature ? and is it possible that when set to automatic in the FSD 3 there is some bug ?

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

In my opinion the cooler the better but i set mine through dashlauch, mine are set 50,50,50 its a phat falcon and its been running fine on these settings. Maybe its a little noisy but i can cope with that.

when set to auto it uses the tempreture threshold set in XeBuild, if not set it will use the MS default of 70c, I always set it to 50c.

i got a jasper jtag and if i turn my fan setting to auto in fsd3 settings it tends to stay around 60c fpr gpu/cpu. this is what the machine would do as default if on retail out of the box.i generally have fans set to 65 or 70 and it cools me down to 45c for cpu/gpu.i'd imagine this would eliminate any possiblity of RRoD.

60c i think is pretty much default for all machines including pc/laptops/

I set my fans to 80, but I have some decent space between the xbox and my couch, plus a lot of times I use headphones, but I can say 80% isn't a problem for me when I don't use them or watch movies

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I have a corona Xbox 360 SLIM and temps are 78c on full load never above...

Is this ok ?

It's all default...

use the dashlaunch app to set a default of 60c or 65c, 78c is much to high

I have a doubt. In FSD 2.2, the caption recommended fan speed by 95%. Instead of setting the temperature to 60c, 60c, I could continue to leave it on for 95%, without the risk of causing any damage to the X360? At the moment, she is in default, and the temperature is reaching 78c.

use the latest FSD3 its better! ;) but anyway, yah you can keep your fan the higher you want without damaging the console! some people modify they're fan to run double the power voltage so it runs alway fast, since xbox are like oven...that said: my old Zephyr never had a rrod and reach 60c when fan is set to about 70%. but i usually keep it at 80% and it dont get pass 50c.

oh and another great reason to download the latest fsd, is because with it, you can see all the temperature in your start-button-menu ! so, you play a game and while in-game, you press start and you see the temperature..its a pretty good feature of the latest fsd3 !

But dont let your xbox runs at 78c...its not good at all for your motherboard to give that much heat-pressure on the CPU-GPU ! if your console needs 95% fan..well 95% it should have!..that way your console will stay alive as long as you take care of never let it heat!

use the latest FSD3 its better! ;) but anyway, yah you can keep your fan the higher you want without damaging the console! some people modify they're fan to run double the power voltage so it runs alway fast, since xbox are like oven...that said: my old Zephyr never had a rrod and reach 60c when fan is set to about 70%. but i usually keep it at 80% and it dont get pass 50c.

oh and another great reason to download the latest fsd, is because with it, you can see all the temperature in your start-button-menu ! so, you play a game and while in-game, you press start and you see the temperature..its a pretty good feature of the latest fsd3 !

But dont let your xbox runs at 78c...its not good at all for your motherboard to give that much heat-pressure on the CPU-GPU ! if your console needs 95% fan..well 95% it should have!..that way your console will stay alive as long as you take care of never let it heat!

isn't 95% of fan power a little too much and too loud? Mine gets all the way up to 68-70° but i red that's ok since the slim is designed to take this kind of heat.

so what you say: its more important not to hear the xbox then to make it heat ?.. the setting you put your fans should always depend on your xbox's need! a lot of different factor makes it different for lot of people:

-old or slim console

-the place you put your console

-the temperature of that room

-if the xbox is on a close shelter or open shelter

etc..

so if you feels like your console have a hard time cooling down ( for whatever reason) well then you should put your fan settings higher, until you find the right temperature.. you better prevent heat then to care about the sound it makes! and also your xbox will last really longer by saving it from months of heat!

but anyway, yes every cpu gpu are meant to take lot of heat, the real problem that heat gives to the motherboard, is the stress of bending under heat..but it's true that microsoft solved this problem (for most) with they're Slim xbox so they have really less chance of RROD.....

but usually the slims xbox dosent need high fan settings, but like every xbox, some people turn they're consol into oven by not taking care of the heat, thats why i wanted to confirm him that its not dangerous to keep is fan to 95%..not that he have to, but that he CAN if he want..

When i watch movies or play XBLA games, i can put my fan settings to default, i wont hear my fan at all, and it wont get passed 70c for cpu and 59c gpu, and for sure it wont rrod just because it gets to 70c, but yah it will rrod if i leave this setting, because the stress to the motherboard is big when you shutdown your console at 70c, since the fans stop working, so the heat stay inside.

But for someone who takes care of is Slim console, 40% of fan should even be okay, but you check with your temp bar if its not to low as a setting...but for sure 78c is really to hot, and 75c is to hot on the long-terme time.. (not sure if we can say this like this in english..)

so briefly: the lower the heat your xbox will have, the longer it will live!

:blink: .. .. :lol: !! ..yah at 100 you must feel like launching to space! hey by the way, by curisosity jbp210 which modo your console have?

i just installed the talismoon whisper fan and fsd says that my cpu is at 74°c and the gpu is at 70°c at auto speed. the console is iddle. is it normal?

edit: well it's not iddle since I'm transfering some game from my usb to the hdd & an electric heater is beside me since it's cold as fcuk :lol: so i would say without it it would be 68c°

hum well talismoon whisper fan are great and silent, and i would easyle get about 67c on default, but since those are silent, you should put the settings to about 40% and your console should be living for a hell long time! but then again, i dont know the history of your console so...but i suggest that when you use your heater near you, you should put your xbox's fan setting to 70% ...but anyway check with your temp bar and try different settings! but you really should keep your CPU-GPU under 60c. 74c is to hot for just transfering..

hum well talismoon whisper fan are great and silent, and i would easyle get about 67c on default, but since those are silent, you should put the settings to about 40% and your console should be living for a hell long time! but then again, i dont know the history of your console so...but i suggest that when you use your heater near you, you should put your xbox's fan setting to 70% ...but anyway check with your temp bar and try different settings! but you really should keep your CPU-GPU under 60c. 74c is to hot for just transfering..

i tweaked a little bit with dashlaunch and set my fan at 40%. now my temperature doesn't go even near 65°c! the fan is really silent even at that speed compared to the stock one that sounded like a cat was trapped inside. thank you for your help!

i tweaked a little bit with dashlaunch and set my fan at 40%. now my temperature doesn't go even near 65°c! the fan is really silent even at that speed compared to the stock one that sounded like a cat was trapped inside. thank you for your help!

nice! but dont be scared of putting your fans high! like i said a talismoon on 40% fan speed is good and you wont hear the fan a lot, but you can go higher if the sound of the fan isnt to much strong and you will drop some more celsious! ..the more heat you evacuate from your console, the longer it will live! ;)

But why do you play with the fan%, just set a temperature and forget about it.

well it really depend on the user.. i mean, for exemple me, when i play games like prototype 2 or skyrim with mods, i put my fans almost at 100% and i drop it back to 80% when i leave those games. Because some mods will make your cpu or gpu to heat faster (not hotter..faster!) so i prefer to prevent in advance and not wait untill it reach the temperature i would set in dashlaunch, before cooling at maximum!.. so to resume: to keep total control! ;)

well, on 40% fan power I got a GPU temperature of 55°c on full load (been playing DMC for 2 hours). I droped the fan speed to experiment with the noise and it turns out that the noise on 30% is almost completely silent and the full load temperature doesn't go over 63°c. So my sweet spot is 35% with a 58-60°c full load temperature. P.S. I have a slim console and I heard that the slim model has a very slim chance of getting rrod or something similair regarding the temperature, is this true?

yah slims will praticly never rrod, i've seen some slim rrod, but its extremely rare. The fan they made with the slims models are directly sitting on the heat sinks (a bit like the old xbox classic but bigger! (..the fan..) ) so yah slims will take lot of heat without even damage, the only thing you wont spare if you leave to much heat, is the thermal paste under the heatsinks, and then if the thermal paste dry's out, the heat will have trouble evacuate the xbox, and in a long terme-time it will heat more.If you sell your old consoles at the moment there's a new one coming out, you should not really care to much about the heat since its a slim, but if you plan of keeping your glitch-slim for long long years, 40% is good with your talismoon. (..but me i would still keep my fans at atleast 60% with a talismoon on a slim lol..)Slim's users should not stress about the heat, microsoft learned a lot by having they're ''rrod reputation'' before..

I realized that one should worry about the temperature of X360. However, leaving the cooler running at 95% all the time, would cause a problem to own cooler?

well i think it cannot cause damage to cooler..i mean, its only chips (not Ruffle chips..cpu/gpu chips..) with heatsinks on them,and the fans take away the heat from the heatsinks..so only thing that can happen is that the heatsink will get to same temperature of the room,wich is not bad!lolThe fan dosent trow cold air, it only take heat away. So i dont see any reason of damaging the chips or motherboard if you leave it high.And in case you come to think about the power it takes if putting higher fan settings all the time, xbox's where meant to give that voltage, dont forget you dont modifie anything physicly in it (well other then jtag..), the only reason the stock fan settings are set low from microsoft, is because of the sound but really because they judged it was un-necassary to put them high all the time, since they get high automaticly when it heat to much(..but when its to late!..). so FSD wont force the fans, it will just put them at a speed they where already designed for, but when you want and the speed you want.

I have a falcon RGH and because of the room i'm in i've set the fan to 100% - I have yet to see the temp reach 60c but it gets close. Pretty lound but i would rather deal with the noise than a broken box. I even got seperately powered cooling pad to help (sits underneath in the xbox in the vertical position)

What would be the max temp the falcon should run at?

What's peoples thoughts on the best phat xbox position for heat dissipation - vertical or horizontal?

well if on 100% it dosent reach more the 60c and even if it would get a little higher it would not rrod..but then again, its a phat xbox with old thermal paste and the old model of heatsink..i think if you change some little stuff, you could have this temperature at only 80% fan settings..but now it isnt the case and even with an additionnal cooling pad..so i will try to help you drop some heat.

first:

-did it ever had a rrod before? (or even just some little heating problems like a semi-rrod..)

-if it had a rrod before, what fix did you use?

-what kind of cooling pad do you have? can you find the same on google and put the link of the image here please..

-did you RGH-it yourself?

and for the position: i would say its better to leave it up (cheesh i cant find an english word to what i want to say..to leave the xbox ''debout''..standing...) then to put it laying down, because a lot of aeration holes are underneath and when its laying down, its more diffecult for it to take air. Because even if the aeration holes arent always near the fans or near cpu cpu, the air still comes from there!..so the ventilation is stronger when its standing up.