RealModScene
Thorz

Internal 5400 HDD faster than external USB HDD?

Hello folks

I have a Trinity 4GB with an external 320GB USB HDD. It works ok and my setup is pretty standard with F3.

I am thinking in investing in one internal 2TB HDD. All the ones I have seen are 5400RPM so I have decided for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236551

It is not going to fit inside the slim HDD plastic case because it is 15mm tall but I am planing to just mount it without it.

My question is: Would an internal 5400 HDD be faster than a external USB one?

Thanks.

yes, the internal is sata and the external is usb 2.0

probably not enough to even see any loading differences as you have to take into account many other factors, processor, etc. 

I do remember some one that had said on here that his SSD was too fast for the machine and it was loading the game in before the xbox had time to process it, which of course is bullshi* more like his GPU was gonna fry and that's why he was getting the glitches......lol I didn't carry on the conversation with him though....LOL :)

I think they have 512 meg of DDR3 in them if memory serves me right, no pun intended... :) so processing data is all down to lots of factors. but yes the sata hard drive would be slightly faster than the USB 2.0 

----------------------------------------

The maximum read speed of a (DVD) is 12X which works out at about 15.85MB/s, 

The maximum read speed of USB 2.0 connection speed = 480Mbps = ~48MB/s

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s. (sata 2, i know it's backwards...lol)

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

Xbox 360 was Not support unofficial internal HDD it's oly support media hdd or else u need hack your unofficial internal hdd ,

it's also support external hdd,

If u want to extend your HDD space u wanna going to buy external 2tb

Note: some specific unofficial HDD oly can be hack

I am using 1tb external hdd almost 85% full but still it was working fast

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

he's got a jtag so he can have any size hard drive he wants ?

Ya i knw,

But he can't use unofficial internal hdd

cause you can, i put 300 gig what ever i wanted in mine. or was it a 500 gig, I can't remember, jtag doesn't care what make or model HDD drive it is...

• Like 1

The HDD signature check is removed in JTAG/RGH images which means you can use any size hard drive you like.

A 5400RPM drive is perfectly fine as read/write times are fine and the HDD will run quiet.

I have a 2.5" 500GB Seagate hard drive in my RGH console.

• Like 3

yes, the internal is sata and the external is usb 2.0

Of course, you post is totally logical. I don't know why i did not think of this.

The HDD signature check is removed in JTAG/RGH images which means you can use any size hard drive you like.

A 5400RPM drive is perfectly fine as read/write times are fine and the HDD will run quiet.

I have a 2.5" 500GB Seagate hard drive in my RGH console.

Did you do something special to prepare the internal drive before you mounted it inside the 360? Did it have to be pre-formated in FAT32? Or does the 360 does all the preparing work by itself?

Thanks!

plug n play thanks to the jtag :)

Almost :).

It needs formatting/configuring, but apart from that, there is nothing you need to do.

Almost :).

It needs formatting/configuring, but apart from that, there is nothing you need to do.

Excuse me, but just to see if I understand you perfectly:

I just put the new 2TB hard disk (without any format or partitions, totally raw) inside the 360 and I can then configure it totally from the NXE? And then I can put all the games, FSD, etc and transfer my profile, saved games, etc to it? I ask because the FAT32 formated 320GB USB HDD I am using right now to hold my games cannot be read by NXE but it can be perfectly seen by FSD3. NXE just tells me that I have to configure the drive and that it will erase everything on it.

Thanks a lot.

Excuse me, but just to see if I understand you perfectly:

I just put the new 2TB hard disk (without any format or partitions, totally raw) inside the 360 and I can then configure it totally from the NXE? And then I can put all the games, FSD, etc and transfer my profile, saved games, etc to it? I ask because the FAT32 formated 320GB USB HDD I am using right now to hold my games cannot be read by NXE but it can be perfectly seen by FSD3. NXE just tells me that I have to configure the drive and that it will erase everything on it.

Thanks a lot.

Yes - format/configure your 2TB hard drive and you're all set.

A FAT32 hard drive can't be accessed in NXE/Metro unless it has been formatted/configured first.

Yes - format/configure your 2TB hard drive and you're all set.

A FAT32 hard drive can't be accessed in NXE/Metro unless it has been formatted/configured first.

Dude thank you for your information nw I did change my external hdd To internal hdd

post-16724-14079077910729_thumb.jpg

I do remember some one that had said on here that his SSD was too fast for the machine and it was loading the game in before the xbox had time to process it, which of course is bullshi* more like his GPU was gonna fry and that's why he was getting the glitches......lol I didn't carry on the conversation with him though....LOL :)

I've tested a SSD in the past, and no it's not bullshit... if your SSD runs to fast it can cause problems down the line, you can see it on PC's for instance if you have a SSD with to slow processor/ram/gpu you may end up with texture loss in games... it's due to games beeing optimized for running from hdd's not SSD's...

On the 360 however you'll end up with a fatal crash if you use a SSD (with some games, not all) for instance, i tested it with Borderlands, i could start the game, start a game and begin loading the map... when it was about to let me start playing the console crashed... this ONLY happened with my SSD... which was working perfectly fine on the PC before/after...

On a side note; The original harddrive(s) in a Xbox 360/Xbox 360 S/Xbox 360 E is a 5400 RPM Harddrive, so yeah... any other 5400 should do fine ;) 5200 RPM is also fine, so is 7200 RPM... any harddrive will work just fine really...

• Like 1

I've tested a SSD in the past, and no it's not bullshit... if your SSD runs to fast it can cause problems down the line, you can see it on PC's for instance if you have a SSD with to slow processor/ram/gpu you may end up with texture loss in games... it's due to games beeing optimized for running from hdd's not SSD's...

On the 360 however you'll end up with a fatal crash if you use a SSD (with some games, not all) for instance, i tested it with Borderlands, i could start the game, start a game and begin loading the map... when it was about to let me start playing the console crashed... this ONLY happened with my SSD... which was working perfectly fine on the PC before/after...

On a side note; The original harddrive(s) in a Xbox 360/Xbox 360 S/Xbox 360 E is a 5400 RPM Harddrive, so yeah... any other 5400 should do fine ;) 5200 RPM is also fine, so is 7200 RPM... any harddrive will work just fine really...

I never would have thought it really, I have 2 x SSD's set up in a RAID STRIPPED array, for the PC, and boy was I glad I had made a backup.....one failed and it was my own fault for having it set up like that rather than mirrored. 

As for the 360 and that, then I really wouldn't have thought it would have but you've tried it so, learn summit new everyday :)

• Like 1

My first thanks to this thread creater

My second thanks to data stream

My third thanks to blacky

Big thanks to swizzy[emoji6]

My first thanks to this thread creater

My second thanks to data stream

My third thanks to blacky

Big thanks to swizzy[emoji6]

Can I get some love too ? :(

Can I get some love too ? :(

we are always love you because you are the "heart" for this realmodscene community[emoji5]

Well the WD green arrived today and it does not fit the connectors.

The freaking disk is too fat.

I knew that there was always a risk of not fitting, being the disk 15mm thick. I was thinking that there was not going to be a problem if I did not used the HDD case, but even without it the connectors do not get in line.

What really surprised me is that I googled a lot before ordering and could not find any post anywhere saying that the disk was not compatible with the Xbox 360.

I am retuning the drive now for a refund and will try to get one of the new Samsung 2TB that are standard heigh:

If I can not buy one of those here I'll just have to use an standard WD blue 1TB :(