RealModScene
BL4K3Y

How to Install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH Console

Thanks for answers!

The update was in the root of USB. Once Freestyle Dashboard launched, it started to HTTP.

Having no effect, I repeated the process with XeBuild GUI 2.093

It prompted me to install update (in ok way). After accepting it, the console rebooted in Microsoft Dashboard. Kinect was operational. But if I would take out USB, I'd get error 79.

I downloaded Dashlaunch and configured the path to FSD folder on HDD.

This resolved all issues.

Hard stop after two days trying. Wanted to upgrade the HDD so swapped the 500GB for 1TB and now i can't install the kinect shit. Updater launches but end with error code. 416b - 417f - 1600 - 2446 - C810 - 1004 . Have tried plugin a different HDD ans start from scratch with the same result.  I was upgrading HDD to 500GB last year and i could install the kinect shit without major issue. One thing i noticed is that the SysExt is missing while looking at the new 1TB hdd and i can see the SysExt on the old 500GB disk. Is there any way to copy the SysExt to the new HDD? 

Bir2II.jpg

EDIT:

Swizzy, thanks. i must have been blind i saw 16747 and 16767 but missed the difference ah

(416b)16 = (16747)10

(417f)16 = (16767)10

now i have to either upgrade the dash or locate the system update for 16747

EDIT2: So i have upgraded to 16767 just to figure out DashLaunch 3.12 does not work. Then i saw the thread around 3.13 and very quickly downgraded to 16747 and found the SystemUpdate for it somewhere. And sorted. Project HDD upgrade in the xbox done on day three. Thanks for the guidance.

Edited by risko

Hard stop after two days trying. Wanted to upgrade the HDD so swapped the 500GB for 1TB and now i can't install the kinect shit. Updater launches but end with error code. 416b - 417f - 1600 - 2446 - C810 - 1004 . Have tried plugin a different HDD ans start from scratch with the same result.  I was upgrading HDD to 500GB last year and i could install the kinect shit without major issue. One thing i noticed is that the SysExt is missing while looking at the new 1TB hdd and i can see the SysExt on the old 500GB disk. Is there any way to copy the SysExt to the new HDD? 

Bir2II.jpg

You need check your kernel, see the first 2 sections in the error code?

They tell me instantly that you are trying to install a newer update then your motherboard have... (first section == current dashboard in hex, second section == installing dashboard in hex)

• Like 1

This is NOT for updating your JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel, this is for installing Avatar/Kinect data ONLY. To change the dashboard/kernel version of your JTAG/RGH console, you build a new image with J-Runner or similar.

Before you proceed, ensure you have an internal hard drive connected with enough space for the update (I think somewhere around 128MB is required).

Also, ensure that you have DashLaunch installed and configured.

So, you have a JTAG or RGH system, but no Avatars or Kinect?

This small tutorial will help you install them (ensure your Kinect hardware is connected before you begin or you will be prompted to update again once you connect it!).

Step 1

Download the USB system update from here (remember to check that the system update you download matches your JTAG/RGH kernel version - go to System Settings>Console Settings>System Info and read where it says Dashboard: 2.0.XXXXX.0, where X = your current dashboard/kernel version).

Step 2

Extract the $systemupdate folder from the archive with 7-Zip or similar and rename it to $$ystemUpdate.

Step 3

Transfer the $$ystemUpdate folder (the one you renamed in Step 2) to the root of a FAT32-formatted USB stick (I recommend 512MB+).

Step 4

Connect your USB stick to your console, power it on and accept the update when prompted.

There are different messages shown based on what the system update is going to apply.

If you see this:

1pw67s.jpg

Do NOT accept the update because this is telling you that the system is going to attempt a complete update which alters bootloaders and it will also burn eFUSEs.

If you see this:

1z143a1.jpg

It is fine to proceed with the update.

This is the system telling you that additional components are missing.

The console will reboot once the update has installed successfully and you should now see Avatars and have Kinect installed (don't forget to configure it!).

If the console doesn't do anything, ensure that:

• The update folder is named correctly.
  • The system update you are applying matches the JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel version your console is currently running (see Step 1).
  • You inserted the USB stick before booting the console (FSD can block the system update).
If, after all this is attempted, the console still won't update, go into FSD and then into the File Manager, look for a SysExt: folder and delete what you can (don't forget to enable File Manager Advanced Mode in General Settings first).

Reboot the console and you'll be told that there are corrupted files - reboot the console to resolve this.

Do this with the USB stick connected and your console should prompt you to accept the update.

I find that if I boot the console to NXE/Metro (hold RB after powering the console on) and THEN insert the USB stick, the update prompt shows up.

i did everything but it does no work pls help

i did everything but it does no work pls help

The way i always do it is download the correct version from here: http://gxarena.com/Firmwares/Xbox360/

Verify the MD5 hash (there are many tools for this around the web)

unpack it and put on a FAT32 USB drive

copy the folder $SystemUpdate and rename the copy to $$ystemUpdate

Now, if you start your console with this memory in and then start a game or any homebrew other than Aurora/F3 it should trigger the update... obviously you also have to have the appropriate memory device (USBMU, HDD, internal memory unit etc.)

I have a question, and after reading this hole thread I didnt find the answer so excuse me if it passed me.

I have a RGH installed Xbox, and I have the last version of the FSD I just change the hard drive for a bigger one and lost the avatar image but I really dont mind but after a while I download a Kinect Game and it says that I need and Update to play it. I have original Kinect games that can be played without problems, but this last 2 games I got ask me for this update and I dont know how and if I can do it. Maybe this procedure could help me so, Would it work? 

Thanks guys. 

I have a question, and after reading this hole thread I didnt find the answer so excuse me if it passed me.

I have a RGH installed Xbox, and I have the last version of the FSD I just change the hard drive for a bigger one and lost the avatar image but I really dont mind but after a while I download a Kinect Game and it says that I need and Update to play it. I have original Kinect games that can be played without problems, but this last 2 games I got ask me for this update and I dont know how and if I can do it. Maybe this procedure could help me so, Would it work? 

Thanks guys.

Follow this tutorial: http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/ this will update your kernel and avatar data...

Thanks, I'll try that.

I've updated the kernel data and after updating the kinect data I'm able to play "some" of my games, but there are 1 that I cannot play. I thought it was the disc but it work on my friends Xbox, but after we swapped disk and tried RGH on this new Xbox the game, again, stopped working, so... 

My xbox is 2.0.16537.0... If I look for the sys update for that number, on this page (http://gxarena.com/Firmwares/Xbox360/), can I get avatar and kinect data without updating kernel data to the last one or it may get bricked? 

I've updated the kernel data and after updating the kinect data I'm able to play "some" of my games, but there are 1 that I cannot play. I thought it was the disc but it work on my friends Xbox, but after we swapped disk and tried RGH on this new Xbox the game, again, stopped working, so... 

My xbox is 2.0.16537.0... If I look for the sys update for that number, on this page (http://gxarena.com/Firmwares/Xbox360/), can I get avatar and kinect data without updating kernel data to the last one or it may get bricked?

If you download the same version from there, you can install the avatar data without updating kernel ;)

If you download the same version from there, you can install the avatar data without updating kernel ;)

So, I did download the right version, for my Xbox Dashboard version which is 16537, put it on the same usb flashdrive that I used to install FSD, and as soon as I turn it on it keeps telling me that "to use Kinect, I need an update", but does not show me the option to use my USB drive. I read that if FSD boots with dashlaunch it wont work, but I erased it and still didnt work. 

Also I came up with a software calling "autoGG" but I'm not sure how to "autoupdate" via USB, Can you please help me?

Edit:

The way i always do it is download the correct version from here: http://gxarena.com/Firmwares/Xbox360/

Verify the MD5 hash (there are many tools for this around the web)

unpack it and put on a FAT32 USB drive

copy the folder $SystemUpdate and rename the copy to $$ystemUpdate

Now, if you start your console with this memory in and then start a game or any homebrew other than Aurora/F3 it should trigger the update... obviously you also have to have the appropriate memory device (USBMU, HDD, internal memory unit etc.)

This mean that I need 2 folders in the USB drive?? $SystemUpdate and $$ystemUpdate??

This mean that I need 2 folders in the USB drive?? $SystemUpdate and $$ystemUpdate??

It means that if you're not sure which setting you have in dashlaunch you put 2 folders... your kinect probably needs to be updated as well when you get that message... you also need to have a valid storage device (one that the Xbox 360 dashboard shows it's content from that has at least 190 MB of free space)

It means that if you're not sure which setting you have in dashlaunch you put 2 folders... your kinect probably needs to be updated as well when you get that message... you also need to have a valid storage device (one that the Xbox 360 dashboard shows it's content from that has at least 190 MB of free space)

Well, with both folders in my USB drive, I just had to quit FSD to the original Xbox 360 Dashboard, put the flash drive in and... The screen came up, accept the correct screen as this tutorial says, and then THE XBOX SHUTS DOWN!!! And I'm like "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG", but later started by itself normaly and my Avatars and Kinect Worked again, so thanks guys =)

• Like 1

I have 16747 on a rgh2 jasper 512 .... will this work? I notice the file name says 17150 when i downloaded the package..

NO. This will not work, it will brick your xbox, and you wont be able to recover without a hardware flasher. That being said, download J-runner, and use the xebuild update server to update your console, and if you do it right, it will update the avatar/kinect data for you. just read pg. 27 of the j-runner pdf file that is included. This will be easier for you, and there is a 99% chance it works right the first time. :)

thank you , sorta new at alot of things. i most likely only know about a third of all i should know about modding. i assume just google j-runner program? is there a step by step tut? I was hoping for something not too complicated lol.  Aside from the avitars not showing up, my only other issue is that terraria dosent work. Says needs update. I know its not talking about a title update. I mean if this is going to require nand flashing and all the other long stuff, i might just leave my xbox alone. I was amazed i got it updated this far to 16747.

thank you , sorta new at alot of things. i most likely only know about a third of all i should know about modding. i assume just google j-runner program? is there a step by step tut? I was hoping for something not too complicated lol.  Aside from the avitars not showing up, my only other issue is that terraria dosent work. Says needs update. I know its not talking about a title update. I mean if this is going to require nand flashing and all the other long stuff, i might just leave my xbox alone. I was amazed i got it updated this far to 16747.

It is covered in the pdf that is included with j-runner, but I also laid it out in this thread, which I think you just might enjoy. http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4959-every-thing-you-need-to-know-about-your-rghjtag/

It's probably talking about the Avatar Update...

The full manual guide on how to do it, step by step is found here: http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/ it's using my tools to do so (xeBuild GUI, Simple 360 NAND Flasher etc.)

I am adding a 1.5TB internal hard drive. I read through 10 pages of posts. I follow all the suggestion. But the update window never pops up. So I give up :-( Just want to know if I don't install avatar, am I going to have problem to use the new hard drive?

I am adding a 1.5TB internal hard drive. I read through 10 pages of posts. I follow all the suggestion. But the update window never pops up. So I give up :-( Just want to know if I don't install avatar, am I going to have problem to use the new hard drive?

You need to download the same version as you have installed on the console, then unpack the update so that it has this structure:

x:\$SystemUpdate\su20076000_00000000

I'd recommend that you do 2 copies, one with $SystemUpdate and another with $$ystemUpdate

This is on a USB memory formatted in FAT32 (that part is very important)

Once you have the update here, you should boot with this memory in the console, if nothing pops up, you need to start a game or something to trigger the update (i usually use XEXMenu for this)

Obviously tho, you have to format the hdd in the console first so that it have the Xbox 360 Format (it is an internal drive correct?)

• Like 1

Hi Swizzy, Thanks for the detail information. I have followed the instruction. But still no window pops up when flash drive is inserted. I find there is no way to delete any file under SysExt: folder. Yes, it's an internal drive. It has been formatted in the console.

One thing I should mention though is I have an Xbox 360 S 4GB. I had a working internal hard drive before. After I replace the old drive with the new 1.5TB internal drive, everything seems to be still working fine. Avatar seems to be intact. I am able to install FSD and create profile. This makes me think I don't need to do system update/install avatar for the new hard drive because it's already in the internal 4GB flash. But this contradicts to what BL4K3Y said on page 6 "System update data will only be installed to HDD1".

Hi Swizzy, Thanks for the detail information. I have followed the instruction. But still no window pops up when flash drive is inserted. I find there is no way to delete any file under SysExt: folder. Yes, it's an internal drive. It has been formatted in the console.

One thing I should mention though is I have an Xbox 360 S 4GB. I had a working internal hard drive before. After I replace the old drive with the new 1.5TB internal drive, everything seems to be still working fine. Avatar seems to be intact. I am able to install FSD and create profile. This makes me think I don't need to do system update/install avatar for the new hard drive because it's already in the internal 4GB flash. But this contradicts to what BL4K3Y said on page 6 "System update data will only be installed to HDD1".

If you already have the avatars working, it's because they're installed on the internal memory unit...

When using the xeBuild feature to install the avatardata it only supports the internal HDD, but yeah, the avatar data is installed to ANY memory unit the Xbox 360 can read that has > 196MB of free space (if memory serves me right, this is what the message says when there is no such device)

• Like 2

Man I Have Installed The Avatar and kinect data on My kernal 17150 if I connect my kinect would it work without problems or it must Update

(Sorry If There Is any Problem In My language (English isn't My language)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :huh: )