RealModScene
BL4K3Y

How to Install Avatar & Kinect Data on a JTAG/RGH Console

This is NOT for updating your JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel, this is for installing Avatar/Kinect data ONLY. To change the dashboard/kernel version of your JTAG/RGH console, you build a new image with J-Runner or similar.

Before you proceed, ensure you have an internal hard drive connected with enough space for the update (I think somewhere around 128MB is required).

Also, ensure that you have DashLaunch installed and configured.

So, you have a JTAG or RGH system, but no Avatars or Kinect?

This small tutorial will help you install them (ensure your Kinect hardware is connected before you begin or you will be prompted to update again once you connect it!).

Step 1

Download the USB system update from here (remember to check that the system update you download matches your JTAG/RGH kernel version - go to System Settings>Console Settings>System Info and read where it says Dashboard: 2.0.XXXXX.0, where X = your current dashboard/kernel version).

Step 2

Extract the $systemupdate folder from the archive with 7-Zip or similar and rename it to $$ystemUpdate.

Step 3

Transfer the $$ystemUpdate folder (the one you renamed in Step 2) to the root of a FAT32-formatted USB stick (I recommend 512MB+).

Step 4

Connect your USB stick to your console, power it on and accept the update when prompted.

There are different messages shown based on what the system update is going to apply.

If you see this:

1pw67s.jpg

Do NOT accept the update because this is telling you that the system is going to attempt a complete update which alters bootloaders and it will also burn eFUSEs.

If you see this:

1z143a1.jpg

It is fine to proceed with the update.

This is the system telling you that additional components are missing.

The console will reboot once the update has installed successfully and you should now see Avatars and have Kinect installed (don't forget to configure it!).

If the console doesn't do anything, ensure that:

• The update folder is named correctly.
  • The system update you are applying matches the JTAG/RGH dashboard/kernel version your console is currently running (see Step 1).
  • You inserted the USB stick before booting the console (FSD can block the system update).
If, after all this is attempted, the console still won't update, go into FSD and then into the File Manager, look for a SysExt: folder and delete what you can (don't forget to enable File Manager Advanced Mode in General Settings first).

Reboot the console and you'll be told that there are corrupted files - reboot the console to resolve this.

Do this with the USB stick connected and your console should prompt you to accept the update.

I find that if I boot the console to NXE/Metro (hold RB after powering the console on) and THEN insert the USB stick, the update prompt shows up.

• Like 11

Right, what if you do not have a Kinect but you still want to install avatars???? Thanks, any help with this will be very much appreciated

Trying to update. The update notifaction comes up but then I get this error message

Update Failed

Cant process the update. if problem persists, go to www.xbox.com

Stauts Code

39f-3f45-1600-2446-c810-1004

Anyone help me with this??? Thanks in advance guys, any help would be greatly appreciated

Trying to update. The update notifaction comes up but then I get this error message

Update Failed

Cant process the update. if problem persists, go to www.xbox.com

Stauts Code

39f-3f45-1600-2446-c810-1004

Anyone help me with this???

Which JTAG/RGH kernel is your console currently running?

I'm sure DashLaunch now prevents you from applying a system update newer than the current kernel version.

Which JTAG/RGH kernel is your console currently running?

I'm sure DashLaunch now prevents you from applying a system update newer than the current kernel version.

Its on dashboard 2.0.14719.0

Hope that helps

Its on dashboard 2.0.14719.0

That explains it.

The link in my tutorial will download the latest available system update.

I suggest you update your console's JTAG/RGH image to 16197 using J-Runner, XeBuild GUI etc., and then follow this tutorial.

I have FSD 2.2 starting automatic on my xbox when i try to follow the steps it says i need to connect to xbox live to get update ?

Is there a way to do it in fsd 2.2 ? or ftp ?

im on dash 16197

pls help kids are driving me crazy for the kinect games.

That explains it.

The link in my tutorial will download the latest available system update.

I suggest you update your console's JTAG/RGH image to 16197 using J-Runner, XeBuild GUI etc., and then follow this tutorial.

Right how do I do that??? Im on a coolrunner rgh if that helps. Already bought it premodded

Read the J-Runner PDF or maybe follow this tutorial.

Both J-Runner and Swizzy's XeBuild GUI are great applications.

Just used latest jrunner and updated to 16197, no problems there with update or dashlaunch. Currently have FSD2.2 on an external HD.

When i went to update the $systemupdate for 16197 that was downloaded from MS, my xbox would not auto start the update automatically like it has every time in the past when turning on the xbox.

I did also try and renaming to $$ystemupdate but that did not help either. I also tried another thumb drive formatted to fat32 but no luck either.

I am not sure what to do now, any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks in advance

Just used latest jrunner and updated to 16197, no problems there with update or dashlaunch. Currently have FSD2.2 on an external HD.

When i went to update the $systemupdate for 16197 that was downloaded from MS, my xbox would not auto start the update automatically like it has every time in the past when turning on the xbox.

I did also try and renaming to $$ystemupdate but that did not help either. I also tried another thumb drive formatted to fat32 but no luck either.

I am not sure what to do now, any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks in advance

I didnt have the actual readme for dashlaunch, got it and that had the answer.

From the readme.txt from dashlauch

"Updates seem to work best if memory stick is inserted while in official dash"

worked like a charm.

I didnt have the actual readme for dashlaunch, got it and that had the answer.

From the readme.txt from dashlauch

"Updates seem to work best if memory stick is inserted while in official dash"

worked like a charm.

where did you find the readme and whats official dash ?

the readme is in the dashlaunch zip release and official dash is the regular Microsoft Metro dashboard.

Cant get it to work.

Followed the readme and used the official dash, but it still dosens work.

All i get is the message "update required connect to LIVE to update" i can see the usb in dashboard,

What have i done wrong ?

Hi i tried to install the update to get the avatar and kinect settings, I've done it just how it is explained here, made sure that the "noupdate" setting in dashlaunch was disabled, i renamed the file to $$ystemUpdate and put it on the root of a Fat32 flash drive and put it in the xbox booted and i do not get any prompts to update it just goes straight to FSD , and i have the latest kernel running on my rgh. What could be the problem?

If you disable the noupdate feature in dashlaunch there is no reason to change the name, it should be left as $SystemUpdate.

Also for whatever reason it seems to pick up the update best in the regular metro dashboard.

Ive tried all the suggestions here with no luck, id just like to ask one further question. While at the metro dash can i just insert the memory stick? This may seem like a stupid question to some but like i have said ive tried everything suggested.

Any advice would be gratefuly recieved.

Forgot to say im running the latest dash FSD 3 & latest Dashlaunch.

yes, be sure the folders name is $$ystemUpdate and is in the root of the fat32 USB.