RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
metalbruce

external hd questions

I currently have my games saves and profiles on a usb stick - i do have an external hd that i keep games on but it's getting filled up!sooo.. i think i'll be getting another external hd - because i can only have 2 external hd's hooked up at once i want to move my game saves/profiles and have new games on the new external hd. Is a partition needed on the new external hd for the game saves and profiles? or is it all just fat32 and just a matter of formatting the new drive to fat32 and copying saves and profiles over? ..maybe with horizon?

Any help would be great... i'm obviously confusedĀ  :blushing:

The new drive needs to be formatted by the console to have a "virtual memory" a.k.a. "USBMU" this memory can be a maximum of 32GB normally...

I'd recommend getting a bigger internal HDD for your gamesaves... are you using a slim or a phat?

Thanks for the reply. It's a slim. My internal is 320gb and is pretty full. If possible I would rather not get a bigger internal hd because I would have to transfer all that stuff over. Can't say I know how to do that.

Would the xbox create a partition for me for the saves if I was to get a new external hdd?

Thanks for the reply. It's a slim. My internal is 320gb and is pretty full. If possible I would rather not get a bigger internal hd because I would have to transfer all that stuff over. Can't say I know how to do that.Would the xbox create a partition for me for the saves if I was to get a new external hdd?

You have to go to the Memory menu in the Settings screen and select the USB hdd and basically make the partition, i recommend that you do this with a NEW drive as it MAY format it for you aswell (erasing all data on it) keep in mind tho, these memories CANNOT be copied from one drive to another... =/ (the files can be copied, but they're essentially useless, all you can do is use apps like Party Buffalo to extract stuff from it)

Really? I didn't realize moving save game data was not possible.

I'm not talking about the Save game data, i'm talking about the USBMU data...Save game data can be moved freely between devices (generally) however, USBMU is special per device... and i think there's some changes done to the MBR with like an ID or so for the USBMU which must match, this is probably to prevent you from modding stuff and giving it to the world (nobody will have the exact same usb memory, with the same serial and all that shit)

Thanks for clarifying. .im learning shit here lol. And to be sure I can move profiles right?What exactly does USBMU contain?

Yes, profiles can also be moved... anything you have in your storage device can be moved... (dlc, xbla, saves, title updates, profiles etc. etc.) the things you cannot move are the container files (x:Xbox 360Data#####) because they're "locked" to the device they were created for...USBMU contains your save games/profiles/othe other stuffBasically, when you create a Memory Unit on a USB it generates a bunch of files in a folder named "Xbox 360" (this is hidden) these files contain information on what data you've got stored in them, it's a container similar to GOD except it's different in that it's generated by the console and don't have the same structure... it may also format your USB device while doing this...

Excuse my question but, why get bugged with usb transfer rates when you can buy a cheaper and way faster internal hdd, basically the same kind of drive, except this one goes in, you can use it as your main hdd, and transfer stuff from the external or the pc by lan or wlan networks, i bought myself a 1tb drive, bought the xbox casing from china and i have 940gb of space for at least and at most 157 titles plus dlcs. In my country getting external hdds are way expensive because they have the design box, the outer plastic case, cables and they are sometimes 3 times more expensive than a single oem drive of a good brand, you just need to get the case which are like 2 dollars or so, Im now using a hitachi drive, same brand apple uses and it works like a charm, i really recomend that. Now transfer stuff is a small pain, but the gain is good, what i did was, first move all the games, then the content folder for the tus and dlcs, transfer my profile to a usb flash drive, then i put the new hdd, format it, install fsd, set everythin up, put my profile/games/content everything new, and it worked, it can happen that even though you use horizon or such, you'll end up missing avatars, youll need to install the same kernel so the avatars work again. After that i can use the original hdd as internal disk since this drive doesnt get full. If you need help i can provide you with the steps i made, since i was worried it wasnt going to work and i didnt find a guide that said "how to install +320gb hdd". :)