RealModScene
JPizzle

How to correctly read/write the Xbox One NAND Filesystem

Even tho you can write back using this method i recommend everyone NOT to do so, because we currently don't have a way to verify that your dumps are good, i tried writing back on my console, and it's currently not booting :)

• Like 1

Even tho you can write back using this method i recommend everyone NOT to do so, because we currently don't have a way to verify that your dumps are good, i tried writing back on my console, and it's currently not booting :)

Did you ever get your console booting again?

Did you ever get your console booting again?

Yeah, i did... and like a insane idiot like i am, i also broke it again... and fixed it... atleast 3 or 4 times xD

• Like 1

Sounds like my first Jtag, back when everyone was doing it over lpt.  I had done it correctly, but the guide I followed made it sound like xexmenu would just kind of be there like back in the day when you'd load unleash x onto an original Xbox.  I though I'd made a mistake when the stock dash came back so I pulled my wires and rewired about three times when I must have pulled a pad and it would no longer boot. Such a noob mistake!

Sounds like my first Jtag, back when everyone was doing it over lpt.  I had done it correctly, but the guide I followed made it sound like xexmenu would just kind of be there like back in the day when you'd load unleash x onto an original Xbox.  I though I'd made a mistake when the stock dash came back so I pulled my wires and rewired about three times when I must have pulled a pad and it would no longer boot. Such a noob mistake!

Yeah, kinda something similar in my case :p

The problem i had was that when i wrote back to the MMC it'd not reset the voltage register properly (the XBOne runs @ 1.8v whiles the default for the MMC is 3.3v) so, there was a communication error there... the fix is kinda dangerous... run the MMC @ 3.3v for a bootup and then you need to reset it to 1.8v... another way is custom hardware which sets the register correctly...

• Like 1

This is incredible, maybe in a few months all the people will be modding their xbox ones. How do you think the hack will be like? glitching or like JTAG?

This is incredible, maybe in a few months all the people will be modding their xbox ones. How do you think the hack will be like? glitching or like JTAG?

This news is almost a month old... and... this is just one of many steps towards a hacked xbox one ;)

I'd guess it will need some form of hardware like a glitch chip when/if a hack does emerge.  I'd be shocked if microsoft hadn't learned it's lesson from the last go round and left something open that was as easy to exploit as the jtag hack or a softmod hack.  Not that I'd complain if something like that was uncovered.

But if you think it more deeper... Microsoft really needs this stuff for selling more consoles... it's like ps2 on Latinamerica... they know that the most people can't buy many originals...

But if you think it more deeper... Microsoft really needs this stuff for selling more consoles... it's like ps2 on Latinamerica... they know that the most people can't buy many originals...

Sorry man, but that just doesn't make sense to me.  The 360 was initially sold at below it's manufacturing cost so that Microsoft could make money off of game sales and accessories. (Which is a common practice in the console industry). What would then be the benefit of building in a security exploit if they are only losing money on hardware with every sale and then also not making any money off of software?  

If Sony was so on board with it during the PS2 life cycle, why then would they have tried to sue the pants off of Geohot when he unearthed the PS3's security vulnerability?  Why patch the exploit on every PS3 post 3.55?  Why block the Jtag hack or RGH1? It just doesn't add up for a companies bottom line to include exploits just to sale units in 3rd world markets unless those units were egregiously over priced to begin with.  And though units in places like Brazil are ridiculously over priced, from what I've read it is due more to government fees and regulations than it is to retail mark up.

I hope that doesn't come off as arrogant, that's just the way I see it from what I can observe.  But hey, I could be dead wrong!  I don't sit on the development team for Microsoft or Sony, so what would I know about it?

• Like 1

Late reply, but M$ did a good job on the original Xbox and it was hacked, they did a better job on the 360 and it took a while but it was hacked, so it may take a lot longer but one day the Xbox One will be hacked too. But I'm sure M$ left no stone unturned trying to make it hack proof.

Late reply, but M$ did a good job on the original Xbox and it was hacked, they did a better job on the 360 and it took a while but it was hacked, so it may take a lot longer but one day the Xbox One will be hacked too. But I'm sure M$ left no stone unturned trying to make it hack proof.

At this point it's all a matter of finding some keys to decrypt some of the data... once those keys are found it's gonna upon up some doors i'm sure...

And, once they allow anyone to develop for the machine it'll open up some more doors aswell as then we can run our own code on it to analyze more things :)

At this point it's all a matter of finding some keys to decrypt some of the data... once those keys are found it's gonna upon up some doors i'm sure...

And, once they allow anyone to develop for the machine it'll open up some more doors aswell as then we can run our own code on it to analyze more things :)

I've been meaning to ask about the whole universal devkit thing.  If anyone could turn their console into a devkit would there even be a need to hack it at all?  Couldn't we easily distribute homebrew software on forums like this and then sideload it onto our dev machine?  I'm probably just misunderstanding some core concepts here, but what additional functionality would you get from a hacked console that you couldn't get with a devkit?

I've been meaning to ask about the whole universal devkit thing.  If anyone could turn their console into a devkit would there even be a need to hack it at all?  Couldn't we easily distribute homebrew software on forums like this and then sideload it onto our dev machine?  I'm probably just misunderstanding some core concepts here, but what additional functionality would you get from a hacked console that you couldn't get with a devkit?

You would get unrestricted access when you hack the machine, otherwise you're restricted by Microsoft in what you can do...

• Like 1

You would get unrestricted access when you hack the machine, otherwise you're restricted by Microsoft in what you can do...

Even if a hack is made won't it still have issues with dealing with the cloud assisted rendering that the XBone does? Not sure as I don't have one but doesn't that mean a internet connection has to always be present for the device to function properly?

Even if a hack is made won't it still have issues with dealing with the cloud assisted rendering that the XBone does? Not sure as I don't have one but doesn't that mean a internet connection has to always be present for the device to function properly?

Well, games still work offline perfectly fine, maybe some future games will utilize this, and most likely it'd only be something that makes the games look better or used by games that only function online (such as the case of Destiny)

• Like 1

Well, games still work offline perfectly fine, maybe some future games will utilize this, and most likely it'd only be something that makes the games look better or used by games that only function online (such as the case of Destiny)

Oh okay, maybe one day it could be exploited? ^_^ Maybe not like something like LiNK but possibly for people who have multi-gpu gaming rigs or openstack servers.

Yeah, i did... and like a insane idiot like i am, i also broke it again... and fixed it... atleast 3 or 4 times xD

Have you ever tried updating then downgrading back to your previous nand dump? I just dumped my NAND on my xbox one and don't want to update in case of a future hack requiring a lower dash version.

Have you ever tried updating then downgrading back to your previous nand dump? I just dumped my NAND on my xbox one and don't want to update in case of a future hack requiring a lower dash version.

I did yes, and it didn't work... i didn't just try with the NAND tho, i also tried swapping out the HDD contents with an older revision... same results...

They probably have something similar to the Xbox 360 downgrade preventing measures (LDV in the CPU Fuses)

I did yes, and it didn't work... i didn't just try with the NAND tho, i also tried swapping out the HDD contents with an older revision... same results...

They probably have something similar to the Xbox 360 downgrade preventing measures (LDV in the CPU Fuses)

I thought they might. Thanks for the reply! Is that the same thing that was with the original JTAG hack on the 360? Where they blew the efuses so you couldn't downgrade?

I thought they might. Thanks for the reply! Is that the same thing that was with the original JTAG hack on the 360? Where they blew the efuses so you couldn't downgrade?

Yes, well they've done that for a very long time... however, if you update enough many times (and also downgrade within the same "CB tier" for instance) you can make it stop giving a shit about the fuses as there are no more to blow, and therefor they cannot be accurately used to check it...

Yes, well they've done that for a very long time... however, if you update enough many times (and also downgrade within the same "CB tier" for instance) you can make it stop giving a shit about the fuses as there are no more to blow, and therefor they cannot be accurately used to check it...

I didn't know that. GTK.

I didn't know that. GTK.

Keep in mind tho, that trick only works for the CF/CG fuses, not the CB fuses as they're separate... so, it doesn't really help you much, it sort of helps when doing a dualboot as you can then leave the hacked as-is without ever needing to reflash it just because you updated the retail side (it'll always boot anyways, no matter what the fuses tells it since they're set to be ignored)