RealModScene
guily6669

Is Overclocking possible?

Hey there.

Could you add overcloking possibilities to FSD, or is overcloking forced via software really 100% impossible on Xbox360?

I have a few cooling mods and it would be awesome if we could OC it and win some FPS on those very lagged games :wacko: .

Keep Cool

Hey there. Could you add overcloking possibilities to FSD, or is overcloking forced via software really 100% impossible on Xbox360? I have a few cooling mods and it would be awesome if we could OC it and win some FPS on those very lagged games :wacko: .Keep Cool

It's possible if you find a way to tell the processor to run at a higher clock rate... but, it's not documented anywhere how to do such a thing... thus it'll most likely never come...The games are optimized for the current speed of the processor, if you are experiencing lagg it's likely caused by the medium you're playing it from, i'd recommend putting the games on the internal HDD if you're having trouble running them from USB (the internal HDD is FASTER then USB)

I have 1TB Seagate HDD Sata3 7200rpm inside.

The lag is really GPU related (low FPS). Like for example most games you look to a place where there's nothing drawn, like the sky and the game is very fast, but you look to the city and fps drop a lot.

It would be awesome if someone would discover a way to increase the clocks on the GPUmemory :unsure: .

ps: I thought that since FSD devs made the dashboard, maybe would know anything about it or seen it somewhere in the firmware of the console or anything at all...

Keep Cool

I have 1TB Seagate HDD Sata3 7200rpm inside.

The lag is really GPU related (low FPS). Like for example most games you look to a place where there's nothing drawn, like the sky and the game is very fast, but you look to the city and fps drop a lot.

It would be awesome if someone would discover a way to increase the clocks on the GPUmemory :unsure: .

ps: I thought that since FSD devs made the dashboard, maybe would know anything about it or seen it somewhere in the firmware of the console or anything at all...

Keep Cool

They didn't make "the dashboard" they made a homebrew application that acts as a dashboard and patched the OSD menu (Guide button menu) to behave the way they wanted it to...

You having a USB 3.0 disk doesn't matter, it's still running at USB 2.0 speeds (as that's what the xbox 360 have!) the SATA disk is STILL faster then the external one... and you know, in order for the GPU to be ABLE to draw stuff it needs to be fed data to be drawn, where do you think that data is loaded from? it's not taken from the thin air... if it's taken long to draw stuff it could be caused by the disk not beeing fast enough for the GPU to get the data it wants... the same kind of problems can be seen on a PC... it's not always the GPU or RAM speeds that is the issue... it could just as well be the medium from which the data originates...

The Sata 7200rpm HDD is 2x times faster than the original 120GB HDD (tested both on PC).

My Seagate ~87MBs vs ~40MB original xbox360 drive and 40MBs vs 20MBs at the end of the HDD plates (however those are sequential readswrite).

When the game is lagged because of the HDD, if you stay still in the same posittion ans spin it never lags as the textures are always loaded. But GPUCPUMemory related, the more things happening on the background, the less will FPS be.

HDD problems is more like in GTA going fast, textures take time to load or start disapearing (though it works good here with minor problem).

In the PC the Hdd is also used a lot more since windows is always accessing it, on xbox360 it's almost exclusively for the game.

I don't use external hddpen drive for playing games on the xbox. The Seagate 1TB 7200rpm is inside the xbox HDD case (I replaced the original by it).

ps: Almost no games run smooth either on PS3X360 without a lot of FPS drop (and there's one or two that for me are unplayable at around 20FPS super slow).

Keep Cool

If you are getting 20FPS on ANY 360 game then there is an issue with your console. They would never release a game that runs at 20FPS... try downloading TU's.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has found a way to overclock the 360....

Well, I bought the console brand new back in 2008...

But I have seen some games with some huge drops to 20FPS and I went into my friend's home and it also had the same lag.

There are really one or two unplayable games full of lag.

But some are running at around 28fps and drop to 25fps easily.

If someone could OC it just a little bit it would probably win ~5fps on some games which is just the amount needed for a better experience.

ps: Too bad no one know any info about it. (I'm wondering if soldering new crystal would OC it ??)

why not switch to pc :p

I have a PC... However after almost 2000€ (with the extras, not just the PC) wasted on it (back in mid 2011), it has some strange problem.

I sent it to the store and they had my PC for 5 months and didn't found the problem.

The thing is I bought the PC and it doesn't run almost any game. BF3 drops from 45 FPS (all ultra, on, 1080P) to 0 FPS with huge stuttering. Even on low is unplayable.

And I have tried everything (all bios settings), HT off, spread spectrum off, all latest biosdrivers... The worse is that in all tests everything is OK. 3D marks have normal score for this PC, ram tested all night with no errors and have the right bandwidth.

ps: This PC killed me. It's all I ever wanted, I build it with all care, wasted so much money, and it's just OFF since 2011. (I also took it to a friendly pc store here this year, and they conclude nothing). If I had more hardware and money, I would test every component...

Keep Cool

The Sata 7200rpm HDD is 2x times faster than the original 120GB HDD (tested both on PC). My Seagate ~87MBs vs ~40MB original xbox360 drive and 40MBs vs 20MBs at the end of the HDD plates (however those are sequential readswrite).

These tests are in no way a valid way of actually testing it, sure... the HDD performance is better on the PC... but... modern PC's also have better hardware then the Xbox 360 have to communicate with the disc, in order to have a valid benchmarking test for which is faster on the 360 you need to run the test on an actual Xbox 360...The original HDD's i think is 5400rpm, thus any 7200rpm hdd will have much faster response time which means it'll find the data it's looking for faster, which in turn causes the load times etc. to decrease...Also, sorry about mentioning USB 3.0... my brain was apparently not fully booted yet... miss-read what you wrote... SATA3 != USB3 xDAbout your query with the crystal, i highly doubt it'll effect the processor... it's more likely used by the scaler chip or something like that... (the crystal is nowhere near the processor in the old phatties... which means it's most likely not used by it...) on 4GB corona's the crystal is used by the MMC controller among other things, for instance disabling the crystal allows us to read the contents of the NAND using the MMC interface of the MMC controller

Yeah the Sata II from X360 is probably not as good as a good Sata controller from PC, but still Sata II go a lot further than any drive in terms of speed, only those very fast SSD's really need SATA III.

About the crystal, damn, I was completely wrong :blushing: .

I know that the RGH chip changes CPU clock at launch. I would be very grateful if they ever make one that could adjust normal cpu clocks for a custom number and for gpu+ram too ;) (most likely never gonna happen :().

Keep Cool

Well, I bought the console brand new back in 2008... But I have seen some games with some huge drops to 20FPS and I went into my friend's home and it also had the same lag. There are really one or two unplayable games full of lag. But some are running at around 28fps and drop to 25fps easily. If someone could OC it just a little bit it would probably win ~5fps on some games which is just the amount needed for a better experience. ps: Too bad no one know any info about it. (I'm wondering if soldering new crystal would OC it ??)

why not switch to pc :p

I have a PC... However after almost 2000€ (with the extras, not just the PC) wasted on it (back in mid 2011), it has some strange problem. I sent it to the store and they had my PC for 5 months and didn't found the problem. The thing is I bought the PC and it doesn't run almost any game. BF3 drops from 45 FPS (all ultra, on, 1080P) to 0 FPS with huge stuttering. Even on low is unplayable. And I have tried everything (all bios settings), HT off, spread spectrum off, all latest bios\drivers... The worse is that in all tests everything is OK. 3D marks have normal score for this PC, ram tested all night with no errors and have the right bandwidth. ps: This PC killed me. It's all I ever wanted, I build it with all care, wasted so much money, and it's just OFF since 2011. (I also took it to a friendly pc store here this year, and they conclude nothing). If I had more hardware and money, I would test every component...Keep Cool
damn. Silly question but some games will have failsafes so if it doesn't think your PC can handle it, it will go into really low settings.. Just happens randomly sometimes not 100% sure why, this happend to me when playing gta iv on PC. Google it.. Not sure about the terminology of it though as it hasn't happend to me lately :)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk