RealModScene
dopefish

updating a VERY old xbox

I have received a very old xbox.  AFAIK no JTAG/RGH but it was modded in some way (possibly dvd?).  Dash on it is 8955 and I think it's a Falcon unit.

What's going to be the best way of bringing this up to date?  Can you still do DVD drive updates, or has it all moved to JTAG/RGH?  If so I'm assuming it'd be RGH or RJTAG to get this box to latest dash?

if the drive has been modded then you'd need to get it updated to the latest CFW. using CK3 or a like, then you have the chew on of having to buy yourself a iHas burner and flashing it should you want to burn XDG3 games. 

If you plug it in and take the latest live update then it will revert the drive back to stock. but you will then have the latest dashboard just no backups would work. 

I'd just get it "jtagged" me self, all depends on what you want to do, play on live with it etc. or get a CR installed and turn it into a JTAG. (and play online with all the other JTAG people)

You don't know it might be already be banned from live....

What do you want to get out of it.....

to be honest i'm not bothered about playing online and not 100% bothered about having to mess with the drive.

my personal preference would have been to rgh/jtag it.  i'm assuming then it'd be rjtag as the original jtag was 7555 dash and below wasn't it (its been ages since ive researched anything!!)

if so, i'd be happy to update it on live, get the latest dash, revert drive to stock, then get something like the rjtag kit and get that in.  would that work?

I would just get it "modded" jtag my self, no point updating it and stuff via LIVE if your not going to use it online. ;)

Once it's done then you can get the latest dashboard and stuff just like the normal metro dash etc. kinect etc. 

What kind of Phat is it.....as long as it's not an old xenon (as these can't be done) then I would not update it either via "Live" for the time being and get it modded. 

Or you could get a "dual boot nand" and have the best of both worlds, Live and Jtag :) (ah sorry forgot my bad, Duel boot is for the slims)

Posted Image

yeah get it done bud. ;) then we'll see you back reading all the tuts on FSD and dashlaunch and xex menu and stuff ;) 

Have fun :)

ah no, i'll be ok there hehe. i have a jtag unit myself, but bought it that way, so never had to go through the whole jtagging process, just the updating nand and stuff.

this box i got given as it "no longer works"...which i take to mean wont play newer copied games.  so if i can get it up to the jtag level i should be good on the fsd and stuff :D

thanks for the help :)

its a falcon.  so best bet get rjtag or something then? :)

since you've got dashboard < 14699 and a falcon it'd work just as well with RGH 1.1 ;)

I suppose considering i haven't done the solder work before, it'd come down to which would be easiest to install? 

also would it be the smallest tippped iron i can get for this sort of work, and smallest solder too?

get your self a good iron, a one where you can adjust the temps, I have one that you can control the temps and it's pretty neat, get yourself some good quality flux as well, and also use a wire sponge and not a "wet one" as it reduces thermal shock to the tip of the iron and it doesn't reduce the temps in-between cleans. a fibre glass pen is also a must. ;)

Grab and old board and just have a practice, tin the ends of the wires and prepare etc. 

Most of the solder sold these days is lead free as breathing that shit in isn't too good to your health. ;)

I suppose considering i haven't done the solder work before, it'd come down to which would be easiest to install? 

also would it be the smallest tippped iron i can get for this sort of work, and smallest solder too?

I suppose R-JTAG has "easier" points, however... it can be a bit of a hazzle to get working... if you do go that way, i recommend NOT using the JTAG QSB included, and instead go for the "old-school" method (diodes)

I suppose R-JTAG has "easier" points, however... it can be a bit of a hazzle to get working... if you do go that way, i recommend NOT using the JTAG QSB included, and instead go for the "old-school" method (diodes)

you see to me, that just sounded like "don't feed the gremlins after midnight"....i heard ya, but i dont understand :p

I updated a very old phat  360 falcon  on live while on a call with a microsoft rep and it locked up in the process.  So they wanted me to send it in to them to fix for a small fee, yea right.  Thats how I found this forum.  I downloaded the update on computer then install via usb.  That got me up and running again Then I R-Jtagged it.  In hind sight I would have rather just RGH'ed it before updating as Swizzy suggested.  But I was successful with my R-jtag kit and soldered all myself and tunned it to glich quickly :) I say go for it yourself just be careful on soldering the post qsb.  I also installed the Demon, duel nand system. Works great on my Phat datastream.