RealModScene
Stuart Lewis

Please suggest a suitable router for Link

Can anyone please advise a  suitable router for use on LiNK. I am currently using a Dlink 2740B but it does not support port reflection as my 2 consoles cannot see each other to join if one tries to start a game. They can join other games on link fine just not start one. All tests pass in link but i was told on here previously it is a port reflection issue and there is no options in my router for NAT reflection. 

Cisco's router would be a good option. My friend was having trouble with his previous router, now he changed to cisco. Says it's working great, everything is instant and the router settings are pretty easy too. 

Cisco's router would be a good option. My friend was having trouble with his previous router, now he changed to cisco. Says it's working great, everything is instant and the router settings are pretty easy too. 

Any model in particular?

what can you do with cisco that you can't with the Dlink...?

@ OP, what's the problem, you can't start a game or host one on one machine did you say?

i have 2 consoles on link and they are running on different ports. The thing is they can both join a game that is already being hosted but cannot see or join a game hosted by each other. The issue i have is when i try to host a game for some reason neither console can see one another when the other is hosting. I was told that my router needs to support "port reflection" but i cant seem to find the settings for that within the modem. They can see each other if i turn off link and play games as a system link only but not when using LiNK

Can anyone please advise a  suitable router for use on LiNK. I am currently using a Dlink 2740B but it does not support port reflection as my 2 consoles cannot see each other to join if one tries to start a game. They can join other games on link fine just not start one. All tests pass in link but i was told on here previously it is a port reflection issue and there is no options in my router for NAT reflection. 

Hi Stu,

I had a Netgear router with 2 consoles on my home network but only one could connect to Link at a time and neither could see each other on Link. The Netgear recently failed so I treated myself to a Billion 7800N router. It isn't the cheapest router out there but it's superb, super stable and highly customizable (remember to port forward) this worked no problems for the 2 consoles and now can see, host and join with both on the home network pal and within Link.

• Like 1

You should've mentioned the whole problem before. If you want 2 consoles to join each other on the same network, just turn off the Link option from fsd/plugin settings. 

You should've mentioned the whole problem before. If you want 2 consoles to join each other on the same network, just turn off the Link option from fsd/plugin settings.

if they don't find eachother and both run LiNK that's not the cause of the issue ;)Of course, for this to be valid they have to use different ports...

Momin,

As Swizzy said think Stu wants to be able to use both consoles on Link (if I'm reading it right?)

Momin,

As Swizzy said think Stu wants to be able to use both consoles on Link (if I'm reading it right?)

yes that is correct. I want to hosta game on console A so that console B can join as well as others on link

I was wanting to post for a day or so. but been busy...

if console A is connected to the same gateway why can't console B connect....that's what I was getting at....

give console B data 3073 and broadcast 3074

If you add console one to data 3071 and broadcast to 3072 then can you not add 2nd console to DMZ...if all else fails...

I haven't got 2 jtags to test, but logically it sounds feasible..BUT what I'm getting at is the differences between gateways, what's stopping them from working. if you need to add another router to your network then cool. but i wanna know why some routers can n some cant appertnly

I was wanting to post for a day or so. but been busy...

if console A is connected to the same gateway why can't console B connect....that's what I was getting at....

If you add console one to data 3071 and broadcast to 3072 then can you not add 2nd console to DMZ...if all else fails...

I haven't got 2 jtags to test, but logically it sounds feasible..BUT what I'm getting at is the differences between gateways, what's stopping them from working. if you need to add another router to your network then cool. but i wanna know why some routers can n some cant appertnly

Depends alot on the settings or firmware of the router, some routers sucks, others don't... most issues are related to user errors with the settings but... it's always easier to use a router that is known to work to begin with, that way you'll know it's likely your own fault if it doesn't work... ;)

I admit it sounds confusing what i am trying to do but basically:

On Link i can join games with both consoles no problem if someone else is hosting.

On Link i cannot host games and be seen by the other console and vice versa. I can if i disable Link and just use trusty old system link but this means i am limited to whoever is on my network i.e 1v1 (THIS IS NOW BEEN REMEDIED BY SWITCHING TO A BILLION 7800)

Stu,With the Billion router both console A and B can play along on the same link game pal

Yes they can!! Very happy man here in Australia right now. Thanks for the recommendation on the billion 7800  :thumbup:

Yes they can!! Very happy man here in Australia right now. Thanks for the recommendation on the billion 7800  :thumbup:

Nice one, glad your sorted pal

Along the same line of talk I don't want to open up a new thread, but can some one suggest a modem? I have twcable and they said I could get my own to save money on my account.

Along the same line of talk I don't want to open up a new thread, but can some one suggest a modem? I have twcable and they said I could get my own to save money on my account.

I think they meant your own router, rather than a "modem" 

Thank you for the reply,

Yes I see it says router but I want to ask about a modem. I thought I could ask here and see if anyone could suggest a reliable modem as well.

Thank you for taking time to assist me with this matter,

My provider said I could buy my own and use it with my service so that I don't rent the one from them(to cut cost down) So I was wondering if someone could or would suggest one that would not give me issues when connecting and using link or the FSD GUI.

Thank you for taking time to assist me with this matter, My provider said I could buy my own and use it with my service so that I don't rent the one from them(to cut cost down) So I was wondering if someone could or would suggest one that would not give me issues when connecting and using link or the FSD GUI.

The easy way is to get yourself a router (even if your modem have a built in router), then disable NAT on the modem... that way, the modem acts as just a modem while the router deals with distributing everything for you to the rest of your network... that's also the best method as you'd have to configure alot of stuff in a router to make it work with your ISP's setup...
  • Like 1