RealModScene
covex

Slow boot with USB HDD attached.

I thought I'd start here for help, in case others have experienced the same problem and have a solution.

I have a Japser RGH. Currently using FSD 775 and the latest dashlaunch, though I have expereinced this slow attached storage boots with all builds of FSD.

My box boots quickly. However, if I attach my USB Western Digital 2TB or 1.5TB, or both, then it takes nearly 1-2 minutes to boot. My WD USB HDD is used with its stock WD enclosure. It takes time to boot on a cold or warm boot with the USB HDD attached.

I listed the amount of time it takes to boot with and without my USB drives attached...

• no USB drives attached: 44s
  • with 1.5TB (30% full) attached: 1m13s
  • with 2TB (95% full) attached: 1m4s
  • with both USB HDD's attached (via USB hub) 2m6s

I'm assuming either the Dash or the Glitch is scanning my USB HDD prior to booting, which is what I think might be causing the dealy.

Does anyone else expereince this problem, and have a solution for a faster boot? Thanks for any suggestion.

Also, BIG THANKS to TEAMFSD and all those involved. This dash is smply amazing!

The more usb HDDs you connect the longer it will take to boot up. Let me explain this in simple words: When your xbox is booted up (with both usbs connected), all the data of your usb is loaded right? So that particular time it takes to boot up is the time it is taking to scan up everything that is in the xbox and that is connected to the xbox externally, so everything should be loaded when xbox is on. Well if you're games are in GoD format, it would take less time to boot up and also don't make many files with in files. Just some simple folders, so it could scan everything easily.

Also... RGH has random boot times, sometimes my xbox takes 7 seconds to power up and boot into FSD, othertimes it takes 30-60 seconds

Plugging in additional usb devices, as Momin Salar says, it will take additional time to boot and index the contents of both devices, and with the amount of data you have on them as it is - don't be surprised its taking a long time.

My advice, plug them in afterwards

what about "disable scan on startup" enabled..... should help as it's not canning for new content on launching the dash. :)

no, this is a F3 content scan option. The issue with the long bot times is caused by the xbox it'self scanning all attached storage devices at the xbox loading screen a.k.a. the boot animation. This is done before dashlaunch even boots F3. There is nothing you can do about this.

Thanks all, that replied. I was mostly concerned I had something configured wrong. Now I know its normal for the delayed boot when USB HDD's are attached.

Thanks again.

no, this is a F3 content scan option. The issue with the long bot times is caused by the xbox it'self scanning all attached storage devices at the xbox loading screen a.k.a. the boot animation. This is done before dashlaunch even boots F3. There is nothing you can do about this.

other then not having the usb disks attatched at boot of course ;)

I just installed F3, before I had FSD 2.2

On FSD 2.2 when I switched to home from any game it was almost instantly(a few seconds delay), now on F3 it takes about 20-30 seconds, while the F3 splash screen is stuck at "initializing skin system". It doesn't matter if a USB is attached or not or if the "Scan on startup" option is enabled or not. Is this the same for everybody?

I have an internal HDD 250 with about 25 games on it.

fsd won't pick them up though will it if there not attached on boot.. ?

F3 will detect them if you plug them in while it's running... you may also restart F3 once you've plugged them in

• Like 1

I just installed F3, before I had FSD 2.2

On FSD 2.2 when I switched to home from any game it was almost instantly(a few seconds delay), now on F3 it takes about 20-30 seconds, while the F3 splash screen is stuck at "initializing skin system". It doesn't matter if a USB is attached or not or if the "Scan on startup" option is enabled or not. Is this the same for everybody?

I have an internal HDD 250 with about 25 games on it.

No, this is not normal. I would suggest a fresh install.

No, this is not normal. I would suggest a fresh install.

Thanks for the answer. When I installed F3, I only changed the path to FSD in the launch.ini (manually) to point to the new F3 folder. I believe I should have done that using DashLaunch, but I can't find the  DashLaunch folder, how can I manually launch the DashLaunch interface? There is no folder named that way on the HDD1 root, but accessing the console at the ip:9999, on some page there, is says that I have DashLaunch 3.09 - which I believe is the latest version.

- Is there something else I should have done when installing F3 instead of just copying the new files and run them and modifying the path in launch.ini? How should I install fresh, just have a new folder with f3 and change the path again in ini file?

Thanks in advance.

How should I install fresh, just have a new folder with f3 and change the path again in ini file?

Thanks in advance.

yes

yes

I hate to be off-topic in my own topic, but when you do a fresh install F3, is there a way to transfer all your game cover art, and other stuff accumalated in your dash folder. Or does everything need to be re-downloaded.

yeah there's a tut on here how to do it. I've just done the same thing but just used gadaba for my covers, I just installed a fresh version of FSD3 and renamed the launch.ini to point to the new folder then copied over the new FSD3 folder to a spare hard drive, plugged that in the PC and the run gadaba and then when the covers had finished just copied it back over the top of the FSD folder on the 360. 

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/1025-how-to-clear-data-f3-or-backuprecover-artworkdescriptions/