RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Flaminek

red case 2TB WD my passport £99

At least until the controller shorts and your forced to take it apart, to salvage the drive. I use to stick to wd ebooks and passports because they were always on sale for super cheap at my local store. ($99 USD most I've ever paid all 1.5tb+ ) Out of the 9 external drives I've purchased over the years, only 2 still attach through their original equipment. And only 1 is still in it's case. Switched to a dual docking bay a while ago. Now I buy "externals" for even less, as I just purchase a bare drive. Little stickers on the drives, tell me which drive has what I'm looking for. :) I will give em, every single one of those WD drives is still alive n kicking despite some of em being used as beer coasters for awhile.

I don't use externals with my boxes. Anyways, that passport has a 2.5" in it, meaning save yourself the trouble, take it apart now, and swap it with the hd in your RE box. You'll probably want to after you notice they don't have the same red hue. (I'm a pessimist/troll. Honestly have no idea to it's color)

• Like 1

I don't use externals with my boxes. Anyways, that passport has a 2.5" in it, meaning save yourself the trouble, take it apart now, and swap it with the hd in your RE box. You'll probably want to after you notice they don't have the same red hue. (I'm a pessimist/troll. Honestly have no idea to it's color)

Most of the moddern WD 2.5" discs have the USB interface straight on the disk, so it's no longer "just take it apart"
  • Like 1

yeah the usb controller is intregrated now so can't use it in internal anymore. $99- dollars but those are mains powered right? this 2TB but still remaining usb powered is another ball park. I wanted usb powered as have enough plugs sockets around the tv and like the idea of powering down xbox also turns off hdd.

I had a seagate 1tb usb powered before and there was always a 50/50 chance i'd have to reboot my jtag otherwise it would hang on xbox logo screen (to do with the drive not being picked up powereing up quick enough). now with WD passport it boots everytime after about 20 flashing light blinks (20 secs aprox xbox logo screen then boots).

I'll just leave the usb lead in then there's less chance of the connector breaking.

if 1TB is x 2 platters this thing must have 4 platters?

They must have some clever controlling function so when accessing data on platter 2 to 3 platter 1 switches off as usb powered can only power 2 platters at a time.

I wanted usb powered as have enough plugs sockets around the tv and like the idea of powering down xbox also turns off hdd.

The xbox don't actually power the HDD off, the HDD enters sleep mode tho ;)

Most of the moddern WD 2.5" discs have the USB interface straight on the disk, so it's no longer "just take it apart"

Those bastards, but then again I would have had a few less headaches in life if they're more durable now.

Those bastards, but then again I would have had a few less headaches in life if they're more durable now.

A simple way of telling wether or not it's one of the "new" types is to check the USB port, if it's MicroUSB it's onboard, if it's MiniUSB it's an adapter card... if it's USB 3.0 it's always going to be onboard...