RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
metalbruce

Help request to update XeBuild 1.08

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on a problem i'm having with updating my dash. I'm a noob at updating so please bare with me.

Currently running 16203 dash and want to update to 16537. I started the XeBuild 1.08 tutorial on updating.

At the command prompt I received the attached error. I was told to update $systemupdate manually - and this is where i'm confused - am i updating 16203 or 16537 $system update? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question... because I started the update I thought 16537 - however the update will not take when inserting the formatted fat32 usb stick in the console while on metro dash. I tried starting a game too while the usb was in - no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

update error.bmp

Well, first off whenever you try to do something with xebuild it creates a detailed log (the equivalent of if you had run with the -v option added on the command line.) It will have information in it, like details and stuff, that are useful for telling you why it didn't do what it should have and what it managed to do without a problem, and, you know... information is like gold if remotely debugging the problem when you come somewhere like here looking for help.

Which, by the way, this is the freestyle support forum, you're question would have been better placed

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/forum/15-xebuild/

I will move this thread there later today.

All I can really guess from your screenshot, without the actual log info, is that something went wrong console side that caused the update server to stop responding properly. Maybe you shut it off, unplugged the network cable (or your dog ate it?), or are trying to update it over wireless with less than 1 bar on the signal strength so it keeps detaching and re-attaching or... I really don't know because the info as to what really went wrong isn't in the screenshot, it's in the log.

If you are on 16203, and are trying to get it to see the 16537 $systemupdate... that is not a good plan at all, whoever gave you that idea either had no idea what they were telling you to do, or will shortly shoot themselves in the foot when karma comes back to haunt them for being mean. Really. Worst case you machine will brick, best case it will be on retail firmware after finishing.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for posting in the wrong area ,

I followed the tutorial here http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/2205-xebuild-108-update-tutorial/  and requested and received some guidance. Some of my posts may give more insight as to what is going on.

Yes i'm a noob at updates but some of the comments convinced me to go for it - I thought I was doing good by making the screen shot. I did not see any other log.

I was trying to do it via lan (from xbox to pc).

Anyhow, thanks again for the reply...I may just leave the updating to someone more qualified (just sucks I will have to ship my console to them).

I will be making a donation to realmodscene.

Cheers,

It's really simple to copy 'n' paste the log tho... and it'll help us fix bugs in the software... maybe there is a bug in the tool, maybe it's just a connection problem with your computer? we don't know untill we see the log...

It's ussually "client.log" (for client mode) "update.log" (for update mode) or "filename.log" for build mode... check next to the exe and you'll probably find one of these...

** edit: **

If you want to you can do the update the "old-school" way, not using networking at all... you can read about how to do it here: http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/

Edited by Swizzy

It seems I lost my Kinect/avatar stuff. Do you think it safe to install the $systemupdate for my current dash - 16203?

Read my guide to updating your Xbox 360, it'll tell you how to do it with just a PC and a USB Memory... (and of course a 360 controller and TV/Monitor) it also includes the steps required to install the Kinect/Avatar stuff...