RealModScene
JPizzle

XeBuild FreeBOOT NAND Update Tutorial

This is the dashlaunch installer, it will prompt you to update as soon as it is launch as the version of dashlaunch on your console is older then the version you are running. Follow the onscreen prompts and it will install dashlaunch and shut down the console. 

When I did this (chose to update when starting the provided dashlaunch installer default.xex) the console turned off, after that I've not been able to boot to FSD any more. It turns on, I see the green light and all, but it's black on the screen. I can, however, boot to XeLL using the eject button. Could anyone give me some tips on how to proceed?

hey everyone

I just followed this tutorial and it worked fine. Thanks.

One issue Ive had on my console for the past year or so was that there were some weird folders that appeared. They had names like Installer and some others. They didn't look like they were from apps because I never really put much on here (it's a jtagged console)

After the update I tried to go in and see what folders weren't working and erasing them. I clicked on one of them and I was booted to the microsoft dashboard. Now I have no way to get back to freestyle dash. I tried holding the right bumper when the console was booting but that doesn't work for me.

At this point I'm not sure how to get back to the FSD.

Well I managed to get into XEX Menu and from there I can load stuff off of my USB drive. I ran the dashlaunch installer again and I was trying to set up paths. I have no idea what I'm doing or if this will even get my console to boot back into FSD. Should I just reinstall Freestyle dash? Mine is probably outdated anyway.

hey everyone

I just followed this tutorial and it worked fine. Thanks.

One issue Ive had on my console for the past year or so was that there were some weird folders that appeared. They had names like Installer and some others. They didn't look like they were from apps because I never really put much on here (it's a jtagged console)

After the update I tried to go in and see what folders weren't working and erasing them. I clicked on one of them and I was booted to the microsoft dashboard. Now I have no way to get back to freestyle dash. I tried holding the right bumper when the console was booting but that doesn't work for me.

At this point I'm not sure how to get back to the FSD.

Well I managed to get into XEX Menu and from there I can load stuff off of my USB drive. I ran the dashlaunch installer again and I was trying to set up paths. I have no idea what I'm doing or if this will even get my console to boot back into FSD. Should I just reinstall Freestyle dash? Mine is probably outdated anyway.

Use DashLaunch to set paths and enable/disable settings.

Once you are happy with the changes, press RB until you see the menu which lists the hard drive (HDD1) and then press X to save launch.ini to your hard drive (it will overwrite what is already there).

If you set the Default path correctly, you should be greeted with F3 each time you boot the console.

Today I am going to show you just how easy it is to update your JTAG/RGH Xbox 360 game console with XeBuild's new built in updater. Thank you to the team behind XeBuild for your ongoing support of the xbox console and for always keeping us up to date, without you there would be no xbox 360 scene.

I encourage everyone to send a small donation to the XeBuild team at donations@realmodscene.com 

First thing you need to do is download XeBuild, Dashlaunch, 16537 and the common packages posted at the bottom of this page. Extract the Dashlaunch package and in the extracted folder you will see a folder named 'Installer', move this folder and the default.xex it contains over to your xbox 360 HDD, USB or internal memory (anywhere you can access it using your F3 Filemanager).  Navigate to the default.xex in the installer folder on your xbox console and run the it.

This is the dashlaunch installer, it will prompt you to update as soon as it is launch as the version of dashlaunch on your console is older then the version you are running. Follow the onscreen prompts and it will install dashlaunch and shut down the console. Turn the console back on and load the dashlaunch installer default.xex again. You will be greeted with the Current Options screen, go down to the last option in the list 'Configurator' and click A to expand the menu. The 3rd option down will be 'updserv' and it will be disabled, enable it and leave dashlaunch running on your console.

Now go back to your computer and extract the XeBuild and common packages, take the 111 files from the common package and copy them into the 'common' folder from the extracted XeBuild package. Extract the 16537 package and place the '$Systemupdate' folder you get from it in the XeBuild 16537 folder. 

Back out of the 16537 folder so you are now in the XeBuild folder, make sure no files or folders are highlighted or selected. Hold shift on your keyboard and right click in an empty part of the folder being sure not to click on any of the files or folders and you will see an option in the right click menu that says 'open command window here', click it.

You have now been greeted with a beautiful command prompt window already in the XeBuild folder just waiting for you to tell it what to do. Type in the following command

xebuild update -f 16537

Press enter and stand back and watch XeBuild work it's magic! XeBuild will now read your NAND, create an updated freeBOOT image for your, flash it to your NAND and then apply the Avatar and Kinect data to your console. When it is done the console will reboot and you will be in the updated stock dashboard once the console loads up.

Now wasn't that easy?  Thank you XeBuild!

I encourage everyone to send a small donation to the XeBuild team at donations@realmodscene.com

I updated dash launch and xbox wont boot now? please help...

Hi guys,

Been a lurker for a while and really enjoyed the great tips. Finally decided to get my feet wet and try this in order to play GTA V.

My noobish questions are, how can I update and backup the current nand that is currently being used (if possible), and I recall having to rename a folder once to $$ystemupdate. After reading the OP many times, I don't see that a rename is necessary. Can anyone be kind enough to explain why?

Thanks!

how can I update and backup the current nand that is currently being used (if possible), and I recall having to rename a folder once to $$ystemupdate. After reading the OP many times, I don't see that a rename is necessary. Can anyone be kind enough to explain why?

This new version of XeBuild takes care of everything including reading the NAND, creating a new image, writing it back to the console and even installing system update data (for Avatars and Kinect)!

All you need to do is connect your console to your network and enter one simple command on the command line :).

Hello guys,

Did everything up to command promt...after the enterring command "xebuild update -f 16537" I am getting the message in the command prompt window: "xebuild" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

P.S. FSD 2.2, Corona, LAN. 

EDITED: I was doing the last step incorectly (shift+right mouse click), I tried to righht click in the folder 16537, but the correct is to click in the "xeBuild_1.08" folder. Everything went ok, thank you.

ok I updated to the current freestyle dash and it seems to boot up ok

I still have some weird items showing up in my apps submenu. I have only a few apps installed on this machine, but I notice some items on here called xbox   xefu   xefu 1_1 xefu 2 xefutitle1....and so on. What are these??

Nah the stupid thing didn't work. Here is what I did. To install F3 I downloaded the new revision, copied the folder mentioned in the instructions to my usb stick, plugged that USB stickinto the console, ran the xex file and it installed. I was setting up game paths and everything but when I took out the USB stick and rebooted the console I was back at the stock drive. Do I have to repeat the process but instead put the installer folder onto the internal hard drive?

I did the same process for dashlaunch too and I assume that it's not installed on my console either

how did u dump nand with xell???

I go to web site corresponding to my Xbox360 internal IP address (you can see the IP in XeLL) using my PC web browser (the computer and Xbox need to be in same network), and there is an option to download "Raw Flash". Then you can use JRunner or similar software to build a new nand using the dump that includes newest dashboard (16537), remember to also include Dashlaunch in Jrunner. And then you put this newly built hacked nand into USB stick as updflash.bin (my Xell was older version so it did not support updflash.bin flashing, I had to update Xell first using xenon.elf sent to me at the chat and renaming the nand to nandflash.bin).

Hope this helps to get you in the right direction. Ask if you need more help.

hey guyz, i have to connect my console to my pc or to a router? sorry is the question is stupid LOL

You can connect your console to a router (recommended) or to a PC.

The console must be in the same IP range as your computer.

did the first stage

xbox shut down

and now when i turn on the green light is on but it dosent read the HDD?!

what do i do????

help anyone?!?!!?

i m facing a prob friends.. i have 250 gb slim jtag. i did the 1st step, copied the installer 4m Dash Launch 3.09 folder to my hdd and install it as shown in tutorial but after the shut down .my xbox is not booting but its on and my controller is showing its connected, removed the 250 gb hdd bt same result  ..i tried to boot it many times ..plz help

ramap, SuBho Sarkar. I had the same issue, it seems to be related to too old dashboard version for the dashlaunch to work with it.

You need to build new hacked nand that has newest dashboard version (16537) using JRunner for example. If you don't have earlier nand dump available from your xbox360, you can download a new one by booting the xbox to XeLL (boot with eject button) and going to the Xbox ip address with your PC's web browser. Then you need to flash this new hacked nand using XeLL, and things work again.

• Like 1

i tried it but it dosent open the xbox IP on PC...

make sure xbox and PC are on same subnet

they are....yesterday i was able on enter the site...and after i run the update i didnt let me

You can still boot to Xell, right (usually by booting the console with eject button)? If you can and you can see your Xbox ip address there, I don't see why you couldn't access the web site; that is, if your PC is also in the same subnet.

However, if you already have a nand dump from your Xbox360 (usually many people save the original nanddump when hacking their box the first time), you don't even need to dump it again. You can just build new nand, insert it to usb stick and flash it from there using Xell.

After scanning the messages related to this update I have a few basic questions.  What?  More basic questions even though I have done this several times over the years?   :rofl: Yes, Because I am beginning to suffer from ACRS and I don't do these updates very often.

1) This new process appears to eliminate the need for XE_Build_GUI and the need to go get the $Systemupdate 16537 from MS.  Is that correct?

2) It also appears that in the future these updates are performed almost (?) automatically if the "updserv (sp?) option is enabled.  Is that correct?

3) While watching the install video I saw "Formatting the HDD Partition".  That concerns me a bit because I don't really know all the details of what is installed on the HDD.  Is it completed reformatting the HDD and applying all the updates, NAND updating etc?

Sorry for the continuing basic questions but like others I certainly do not want to hose something up that has worked so perfectly in the past.

Thanks,

outofwork

Just wanted to say thanks for amazing easy update process. I initially had the unable to find Xbox error but going into system settings and changing my wired settings from static to automatic assignment did the trick. I was able to update my Jtag and Rgh within just a few minutes. This is my third update and way simpler than previous ones. Thanks!!!