RealModScene
JPizzle

XeBuild FreeBOOT NAND Update Tutorial

Today I am going to show you just how easy it is to update your JTAG/RGH Xbox 360 game console with XeBuild's new built in updater. Thank you to the team behind XeBuild for your ongoing support of the xbox console and for always keeping us up to date, without you there would be no xbox 360 scene.

I encourage everyone to send a small donation to the XeBuild team at donations@realmodscene.com 

First thing you need to do is download XeBuild, Dashlaunch, 16537 and the common packages posted at the bottom of this page. Extract the Dashlaunch package and in the extracted folder you will see a folder named 'Installer', move this folder and the default.xex it contains over to your xbox 360 HDD, USB or internal memory (anywhere you can access it using your F3 Filemanager).  Navigate to the default.xex in the installer folder on your xbox console and run the it.

This is the dashlaunch installer, it will prompt you to update as soon as it is launch as the version of dashlaunch on your console is older then the version you are running. Follow the onscreen prompts and it will install dashlaunch and shut down the console. Turn the console back on and load the dashlaunch installer default.xex again. You will be greeted with the Current Options screen, go down to the last option in the list 'Configurator' and click A to expand the menu. The 3rd option down will be 'updserv' and it will be disabled, enable it and leave dashlaunch running on your console.

Now go back to your computer and extract the XeBuild and common packages, take the 111 files from the common package and copy them into the 'common' folder from the extracted XeBuild package. Extract the 16537 package and place the '$Systemupdate' folder you get from it in the XeBuild 16537 folder. 

Back out of the 16537 folder so you are now in the XeBuild folder, make sure no files or folders are highlighted or selected. Hold shift on your keyboard and right click in an empty part of the folder being sure not to click on any of the files or folders and you will see an option in the right click menu that says 'open command window here', click it.
You have now been greeted with a beautiful command prompt window already in the XeBuild folder just waiting for you to tell it what to do. Type in the following command

xebuild update -f 16537

Press enter and stand back and watch XeBuild work it's magic! XeBuild will now read your NAND, create an updated freeBOOT image for your, flash it to your NAND and then apply the Avatar and Kinect data to your console. When it is done the console will reboot and you will be in the updated stock dashboard once the console loads up.

Now wasn't that easy?  Thank you XeBuild!

I encourage everyone to send a small donation to the XeBuild team at donations@realmodscene.com

16537.zip

common.zip

Dash Launch 3.10.zip

xeBuild_1.09.zip

This works for all models that are RGH right? Mine is a slim.Also, if my internet connection goes down during the process I'll end up screwing my NAND up won't I?Sorry for the noob questions, still learning.

So it knows if it is a rgh 1 or 2 and jtag or Rgh and so on...just wow ...hey! How about a video tut?

• Like 1

This works for all models that are RGH right? Mine is a slim.Also, if my internet connection goes down during the process I'll end up screwing my NAND up won't I?

Yes, it works fine with any JTAG or RGH console.

It is done over LAN (this is what updserv is for) - internet access isn't required for this to work.

So it knows if it is a rgh 1 or 2 and jtag or Rgh and so on...just wow ...hey! How about a video tut?

XeBuild will automatically select the image type based on what it reads from the console.

There is a video tutorial in the first post ;).

• Like 1

Yes, it works fine with any JTAG or RGH console.

It is done over LAN (this is what updserv is for) - internet access isn't required for this to work.

XeBuild will automatically select the image type based on what it reads from the console.

There is a video tutorial in the first post ;).

Do I have to do it with a LAN cable? Can't I just create a wireless ad hoc connection? Just asking, I don't won't to screw sh*t up.

effin aewsome tutorial, im by far a very motivated newb-who loves learning and loves the fact you are helping me learn...very easy to follow and very much apprecieated>>>thankyou so very much cheers mate !!! :thumbup:

Do I have to do it with a LAN cable? Can't I just create a wireless ad hoc connection? Just asking, I don't won't to screw sh*t up.

I think this only works with LAN, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the tutorial JPizzle, the xeBuild team is as awesome as ever!

However, I think that if you extract the contents of the "for_xxbuild.zip" (launcher.xex, lhelper.xex) found in the dashlaunch .zip to the xeBuild folder and then run the "xebuild update -f 16537" command you no longer need to install dashlaunch after the console boots.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks for the tutorial JPizzle, the xeBuild team is as awesome as ever!However, I think that if you extract the contents of the "for_xxbuild.zip" (launcher.xex, lhelper.xex) found in the dashlaunch .zip to the xeBuild folder and then run the "xebuild update -f 16537" command you no longer need to install dashlaunch after the console boots.Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

You're not wrong, I just like Dashlaunch :)

I couldnt get a hold of the guy who modded my 360, I been searching on how to make my own hacked nand, good thing I ran across this thread because I was just going to start asking questions, luckly everything is included in attachments, Thanks!!

Thanks Team XEBUILD for this awesome update.

And, thanks JPizzle for this easy tutorial; i havent seen anything easier than this :)

just updated my console, this whole process is so ridiculously easy and fast to do that's not even funny anymore. also greets to jpizzle for such detailed tutorial

only thing it didn't do was to update my kinect/avatar data, even though i placed the $systemupdate folder inside 16537... i even updated twice (yes, this is *that* fast and secure) to see if something went wrong somewhere, to no avail. anyways, i'll just update the thing manually, it's not hard to do at all

so, for the people still on the fence about this, i'll just say DO IT.

only thing it didn't do was to update my kinect/avatar data, even though i placed the $systemupdate folder inside 16537... i even updated twice (yes, this is *that* fast and secure) to see if something went wrong somewhere, to no avail. anyways, i'll just update the thing manually, it's not hard to do at all

This version of XeBuild will only install system update data to an internal hard drive.

I agree though - image building couldn't be simpler!

This version of XeBuild will only install system update data to an internal hard drive.

duly noticed, thank you very muchjust as a side note, the whole update -ignoring downloading times, a bit of set up and moving my laptop next to the console (since xebuild won't detect the xbox ip over wifi- took exactly 13. GODDAMNED. SECONDS. this thing is a missile, i tell ya  :thumbup:

dunno if this is also part of the process, but my xell installation was also updated! watching the corona boot to a hdmi display with no hdd attached is absolute nerd bliss   :flower:

• Like 1

it worked perfectly. the only difference from what the tutorial said is that when it loaded the 16537 for the first time it went straight to the FSD3 and not to the official dash. Also when i reopened dashlaunch it didnt asked me to install or anything... so no problems whatsoever

Wow this seems to be the easiest update tutorial I ever seen.

I have a question, it is stated it will also update freeBOOT image.

When using XeBuild GUI, there is an option for Build type, in that section, there is ECC (RGH1.x, 2.0) also for Freeboot. This is normally auto selected as we need to put in the backup nand.

In this tutorial it only says freeboot. But actually everything that is done automatically by Xebuild GUI will also be done while updating this way right?

I am asking this in case I mess things up as this require no backup nand.

Thanks.

This is absolutely amazing guys !!! Huge props to XeBuild Team  :thumbup:

and JPizzle top notch tutorial !  :thumbsup:

for those of us that will be updating multiple consoles , I did manage to cut out a few steps by creating a .bat file using the command line JPizzle provided in this tutorial so it is a one click process to update the console on the network with updserv on 

As you guys said this ill work only on a lan server.  Will it work if i just plug a ethernet to xbox and the other part of the ethernet into the pc ? Will they work ?

• Like 2

i only enable updserv on dashlanch and go to xebuidl and write tihe ">xebuild update -f 16537"

i do this but i get error 

"C:xbuid>xebuild update -f 16537

---------------------------------------------------------------
     xeBuild v1.07.632
---------------------------------------------------------------
---- { Update Mode } ----
started, watching network for xbox...UDP wait timeout!
failed to find xbox beacon

help me ? why ? 
connecto  xbox to pc via wired lan ? 
or 
my xbox to router 
and my pc to some router ?

I think this only works with LAN, but don't quote me on that.

sorry for the noob question, first time I will try an update and I want to be sure... lan cable goes between the xbox and my computer?

sorry for the noob question, first time I will try an update and I want to be sure... lan cable goes between the xbox and my computer?

Yes, but make sure your console and computer are in the same IP range.

Both my console and computer are connected to an ethernet switch.