RealModScene
Garzol

Skin making FSD3 crash (Eating all the ram)

I've been working for a skin some time now, and what i've noticed is that the FSD does not close once previously opened xur-files.

For example, once a skin has been loaded and you go to another tab like menu.xur, both the main.xur and the menu.xur will run at the same time.

First i thought that the Xbox minimized the xur's but efter some experimenting i noticed that it actually start a new one everytime, even if one of the same sort of xur still exist and opened in the background. So if you start main.xur and go to menu.xur and then back to main.xur, you will have 2 main and 1 menu running in the background (the ram goes through the roof).

This is a huge problem, atleast for those with huge game libraries or for a skin with alot of animations (it eats all the ram).

So my question is do anyone know a way, if there is one, to terminate or at least put a xur on hold (pause) so they don't crash the xbox due to way too many animations running.

I've tried making my animations getting paused after a certain of time but it did not solve this problem. The Xbox will still crash after the exact same amount of opened windows as with looping animations.

Maybe i've done something wrong along the way, maybe i've missed something, thanks for answers!

Yeah i guess i have to, it's weird that FSD keeps playing the other opened xur's in the background, makes it hard to make a fully animated skin, I had plans having animated opening/closing scenes but i guess i have to scratch that so my Xbox don't explode.

Thanks aelchris, but it's not the same :) pausing objects that you interact with is easy, but backgrounds i'm not sure how to pause/terminate when switching xur's.Anyway it's just a small bump on the road, rearranged a few stuff so that they eat less ram, so far so good :)

I never knew that was an issue. Cant say I experienced it when I was creating skins. I introduced tab animations for fsd2.2 skins and lots of lagging issues. But my problem was not with extra xurs running in the background but was due to the formate of the animations.

Are u using video files for the animations.

If so what encoding is on the files. I optimized the encoding for my skins and they ran very well. Animations on all tabs in main.xur and background animations and no lag or anything when access other menus. And the background animation ran on all scenes too.

Let me know if there is anything I could help with. Im considering one last skin before I disappear completely :p (maybe)

Cheers

Dark

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yo man, glad to see you're back!

I used wmv9 with a bitrate around 5k and sound made in wmv 9.2, anyway not important found away around it :)Atm i'm creating the animations first in After Effects then i render them as a PNG sequence and voila, no more ram wasting, tho aloooot of making clicking single frames when creating the xur's for best look, tho i must say it's worth it.

I still got a few wmv9 animations in the background but aslong as I don't add too many it's ok

Ah well things have developed a lot more since ive been gone.. lol

I know what you mean about all the editing of the xurs and getting it right I spent hours myself refining my skins for the best performance and visual display. But every hour I spent was well worth it.

I cant wait to see the finished skin.

It may very well be me asking you for some advice soon on my new skin :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta