RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
hansolo77

[FIX] Loss of Dolby Digital in FSD3

Hello all.

I reported quite some time ago that after upgrading to FSD3 there was a major flaw that crippled the Xbox from booting into Dolby Digital.  As it turns out, the flaw was on my part.  See, shortly after FSD3 came out, the FakeAnim (link) plugin was released and allowed users to install their own custom boot animations.  I did this, and have enjoyed it.  However, in doing so, it appears I broke the Dolby Digital flag during boot up.  I could fix it easy enough by holding RB on boot up and change the Audio settings from Dolby, back to stereo, and then back to Dolby again.  That forces the flag and makes the Xbox output in Dolby Digital again.  Unfortunately, this setting gets lost after you shut down.  Once you reboot again, the setting may still be in Dolby, but the audio output is only stereo.  I thought this might be because the new custom animations aren't in Dolby.  They're just in stereo.  So the first audio the Xbox sends out is stereo, thus making everything else stereo.  I spent an hour or so converting all the animations into true Dolby, but it didn't work.  As it turns out, the flag doesn't come from the audio stream, but something INSIDE the bootanim.xex.  In all my trials, I had actually REMOVED that file from the FLASH location so my Xbox would only boot the custom animation.  Apparently, the bootanim.xex not only contains the executable instruction to run the default boot video, but also commands the Xbox to begin outputting in Dolby once the video finishes.  With that file gone, the Xbox never receives the instruction to output into Dolby until after you go in to manually re-enable it on the Metro dash.

So my solution was to (upon updating to latest dash) NOT erase the bootanim.xex file in the flash.  Now the Xbox boots up into Dolby as it always has.  Only downside is you now have 2 boot up animations instead of just one.  This might be fixable if somebody out there in the community knows anything about it.  I'm just reporting through my trial and error what seems to be the cause and solution.

Good find! I will pass this along to FakeAnim creator BioHazard.

Yeah I posted over at the Homebrew-Connection asking for somebody to look at it too.  For the longest time I thought this was an issue with FSD3.  But since nobody else seems to have reported it, I figured it had to be something I did on my end.  Kinda sneaky for them (MS) to put the audio flag into the bootanim.xex but I guess it doesn't really matter where they put it since it's THEIR software.  It shouldn't be that big a fix to include some extra lines of code into the fakeanim.xex to do the same thing.  I just wish I knew how to do it.  :)