RealModScene
tinpanalley

Totally lost on some FSD things...

I just need some clarification on some things that I'm completely confused about. Either nobody has had the issues I'm having or I'm just such a noob that nobody would ever bother asking these questions about RGH and FSD. If you could give me a little guidance I'd appreciate it.- Can I or can I not FTP game to the internal hdd in the 360? Is FTP not the best way to get games from my PC to the internal hdd? I dont want to burn discs all the time.- Why are there times when freestyle dash shows my games doubled and with incorrect cover-art?- I just downloaded an RGH version of a game. I copied it as extracted to my internal hdd in the folder where I have my other games using file explorer. Why won't it load? Yes, the download is confirmed as working.- I can't seem to get some homebrew programs to load, it's like the shortcut in FSD doesnt go to the actual application. Is there a tutorial I can follow that will get me a better understanding of the directories, how the scanning happens?- Things just seem sluggish when looking through the content on the hdd. I feel like this could also be caused by things not being set up right in FSD. Is that possible?Thank you!

Hello!

I'm new to FSD as well, but I've got a few answers for you

1) Yes, you can FTP games to your Xbox from your PC. Use your favorite FTP program and connect to your Xbox's IP with username: xbox and password: xbox

2.1) Whenever games have shown incorrectly I've traditionally checked my scan paths and then deleted FSDDataDatabasescontent.db. This causes FSD to rebuild your list of games from the scan paths. (You need to delete the content.db file with another program on your 360. I use XeXMenu for this.)

2.2) If album art is incorrect, you can refresh it by pressing Y on the game and the choosing "Refresh Artwork".

3) What game is it? What do you mean by it won't load? (is there a crash notification? black screen after start? etc?)

4) Scan paths function like this. Say I have a folder called "Games" on the root of my internal HDD that contains subfolders for "Arcade", "Retail", "Homebrew", etc. and I want to set up FSD to log all of my retail games. I would then set up a scan path for the location "Hdd1:GamesRetail", check both of the "Xbox 360" boxes under Retail and Devkit and set an appropriate scan depth. An appropriate scan depth is just long enough to find all of your games' default.xex files. If scan depth is set to "2" then FSD will look in all subfolders starting from the scan path up to two levels deep for games.

5) Are you talking about looking through the HDD in FSD's file explorer? If that's the case, yes it is a bit sluggish because a controller isn't an ideal tool to search through a bunch of files. I usually use FTP to sort through content.

If your games double, remove the FSD database and reboot FSD.

You don't need to get RGH versions of games, any will work.. (well, mine do) but it could be just a missing file that wasn't extracted or downloaded properly, happens a lot.

You can use FTP or ConnectX (never used it so i don't know). I always use USB or my external HDD and then move because FTP runs at your upload speed and that can be slow when moving 6GB+.

If your games double, remove the FSD database and reboot FSD.

You don't need to get RGH versions of games, any will work.. (well, mine do) but it could be just a missing file that wasn't extracted or downloaded properly, happens a lot.

You can use FTP or ConnectX (never used it so i don't know). I always use USB or my external HDD and then move because FTP runs at your upload speed and that can be slow when moving 6GB+.

I've been using ConX and it has its pros and cons. It's great that I have space free on my internal HDD now, but you can't back up a DVD straight to your ConX location, some games experience longer load times, and Skyrim won't run at all (for me, at least). ConX runs over Samba so it's been a bit faster than FTP for transfers.

Thanks everybody, really appreciate it.

1) Yes, you can FTP games to your Xbox from your PC. Use your favorite FTP program and connect to your Xbox's IP with username: xbox and password: xbox

3) What game is it? What do you mean by it won't load? (is there a crash notification? black screen after start? etc?)

5) Are you talking about looking through the HDD in FSD's file explorer? If that's the case, yes it is a bit sluggish because a controller isn't an ideal tool to search through a bunch of files. I usually use FTP to sort through content.

- I can't seem to keep my FTP connection active through Filezilla. Works everywhere else I use it.- Well, I shouldn't say where I got it from but it's an RGH release and everyone else who gets it seems to be using it fine. The game just brings up a black screen on launch and even pressing home doesn't get me back to the dashboard.- No, I mean it's sluggish in just bringing up the titles in the 360Games tab and in Arcade. Come to think of it, now I can't see my Arcade titles anymore. 

Then why do so many people create RGH releases and claim they're so much better than a full release? 

I've been using ConX and it has its pros and cons. It's great that I have space free on my internal HDD now, but you can't back up a DVD straight to your ConX location, some games experience longer load times, and Skyrim won't run at all (for me, at least). ConX runs over Samba so it's been a bit faster than FTP for transfers.

Cool, I'll look into it but I really like Filezilla.

Thanks everybody, really appreciate it.

- I can't seem to keep my FTP connection active through Filezilla. Works everywhere else I use it.- Well, I shouldn't say where I got it from but it's an RGH release and everyone else who gets it seems to be using it fine. The game just brings up a black screen on launch and even pressing home doesn't get me back to the dashboard.- No, I mean it's sluggish in just bringing up the titles in the 360Games tab and in Arcade. Come to think of it, now I can't see my Arcade titles anymore. 

Then why do so many people create RGH releases and claim they're so much better than a full release? 

Cool, I'll look into it but I really like Filezilla.

ConnectX is an alternative to FTP not a client for FTP, if that is what you meant by 'i really like filezilla'.

I don't really know why people create RGH releases, they tend to be just pre-ripped games into a rar or zip format so there isn't much difference probably just file size maybe?

I had a bit of an advance on the game that wouldn't load... I tried it via xexmenu and it loaded fine. Does that make sense to anyone? Could I have an out of date version of FSD? I haven't updated it since it was installed for me in September. If this game not working does sound like an FSD update issue, where would I check the current version on my console and where would I get the new one?

Also, where would the Arcade titles be on the hdd that I owned before? I'm trying to assign them a path and can't figure out where they'd be?

This is directly related to size. Depending on the game...An RGH release can be much smaller than the full release. Not better because of quality or anything like that

I had a bit of an advance on the game that wouldn't load... I tried it via xexmenu and it loaded fine. Does that make sense to anyone? Could I have an out of date version of FSD? I haven't updated it since it was installed for me in September. If this game not working does sound like an FSD update issue, where would I check the current version on my console and where would I get the new one?Also, where would the Arcade titles be on the hdd that I owned before? I'm trying to assign them a path and can't figure out where they'd be?

The best option would be to set your path at the root of your HDD and set the scan depth to 5 or 6. After thet do a manual scan.

Any thoughts on why this game will work on xex and not on fsd?

I sometimes have it where games won't launch from Xbox 360 Games but they will from the file manager.. mine fixes itself after a reboot.