RealModScene
JPizzle

Xbox One event roundup: Microsoft reveals its next-gen gaming console

Source: Engadget.com

Posted Image

Will Microsoft's Xbox One be the one gaming console to purchase over the Wii Uand PS4? That's a question we'll have to wait until later this year to answer, so let's stick to the present. Redmond made a huge showing across both the software and hardware fronts today, ensuring gamers will have lots to look forward to. Whether you missed parts of the keynote or are looking for specific stories from the event, we've got you covered right here. Click past the break to find a full directory of today's news, from our exclusive look at how engineers built the Xbox One to details about fresh titles like Call of Duty: Ghosts and Forza Motorsport 5.

XBOX ONE HARDWARE

Posted Image

SOFTWARE AND SERVICES

Posted Image

CONTENT AND GAMES

Posted Image

8 gb of ram? I know the Xbox 360 only had 512, and maybe I'm missing something but 8 gigs for a system that's supposed to be running on that for the next 7 or 8 years seems a little weak if you ask me.

• Like 1

I agree with you moses_373, putting in more than enough ram would be a cheap way to ensure smooth gaming for many years, although the Xbox do not use the ram the same way a computer does, for example ingame the Xbox can use almost all the 8GB ram which a computer can not since it need atleast 2GB ram to keep windows on (not counting the other apps and stuff you might have on).

They say it uses a lighter version of operative system which i hope means it does not suck too much ram away from the actuall gameplay, if that is the case i'm sure 8GB ram will go a long way :) Just look at the games we're able to play on the Xbox 360 atm which only have ~ 500Mb ram for gameplay.

So the 'always on internet connection' is not required then. Or water marked discs. I'll be buying on release of Fallout 4, undecided on which next gen to buy. Gives time for the dust to settle and hackers to have a poke around. Although I expect the security to be formidable.

my only question is will the xbox one gamepad be compatible with the xbox 360????I like the new xbox but not until i see the hack  :thumbup:

I agree! The new Xbox gamepad looks AMAZING! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I agree with you moses_373, putting in more than enough ram would be a cheap way to ensure smooth gaming for many years, although the Xbox do not use the ram the same way a computer does, for example ingame the Xbox can use almost all the 8GB ram which a computer can not since it need atleast 2GB ram to keep windows on (not counting the other apps and stuff you might have on).

They say it uses a lighter version of operative system which i hope means it does not suck too much ram away from the actuall gameplay, if that is the case i'm sure 8GB ram will go a long way :) Just look at the games we're able to play on the Xbox 360 atm which only have ~ 500Mb ram for gameplay.

Those are some good points Garzol, however, in the presentation they said that windows will be running constantly so that they can switch between programs instantly, going from game to tv to music etc...  I really worry about how much ram is going to be used to accomplish these tasks.  But hey, with 8 cores running, perhaps it can compensate for the low amount of ram going into it.

I won't be buying the xbox one, ...cmon Microsoft get it together. This console is the anti gamer. Basically blocking used games, there's a fee you'll have to pay..you can't lend your game to your friend without them having to pay a fee also, most likely around the full price of the game, < obviously always online required to get a game working, the heavy TV and kinect focus, the 50% weaker performance compared to PS4, still charging you to play multiplayer, still charging indie game devs to sell their game on xbox live, still charging devs for title updates, still have a policy stating that a dev may be denied release of their game on xbox if it comes at a later date than the other consoles, JEEZ GUYS no wonder Sonys stocks shot through the roof during the xbox event...not only are gamers disappointed but the industry, your investors are. Microsoft, tisk tisk. Take it all back, and deliver a ton of exclusives and I'll consider/Rant end

• Like 1

I agree with you Griff 100%,,theres somethings they are not tell us and once we buy the console here comes the oh by the way!! ill wait to see what the ps4 hasto offer before I decide,,

The put only 8GB RAM inside on purpose. They want you to buy the "new upgraded version" next year. It's always like that with Microsoft products (the previous is always "not that good" and you "should" [and definitelly don't have to, if you don't want to use the new stuff] buy the new one or at least an upgrade). PS: Am I the only one thinking, that XBOX One is an ugly shoe-box? :-P

When hacked I'll buy it. Don't care about all these features, I care about gaming with the most lower price. All these Internet stuff I can do it on PC so nothing new except the enhanced graphics. And definitely they'll be some problems with it in the first release, like the red ring of death in xbox arcade. If can't be hacked in the future then I prefer to buy PS4, at least it contains free online gaming.

xbox one or ps4... depends on the best hack. i really hope they make some new RGH cause after this everything seems crapy and expensive. 

So............ freestyle dash 4 for xbox one or what? :D

So the 'always on internet connection' is not required then. 

Actually...The system is built to work even if your internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Phil Harrison (Microsoft vice president).

No backwards compatibility, even in Digital version; PS4 won that round (Gaikai, you can play PS3 games too).

my only question is will the xbox one gamepad be compatible with the xbox 360????

I hope so, that would be awesome (and compatible with pc, like the 360). But if i remember the demos they showed were playing with the new controller on....the 360?:

Posted Image

+1 on Griff.

We all have a commonality of enjoying video games. Some of us are wealthy, or like me, some of us are poor. I use redbox to rent games, I use Craigslist or eBay to buy games. But I can get the same gaming experience as the guy who buys it brand new at $60.

Microsoft pushes people like me away with these new "restrictions" on the xbox one. No more rentals, no more preowned games for cheap. I used to work at gamestop, and I knew people that would come in and scrounge around the $2, $3 game bin (years ago), because they couldn't afford the new releases. these are the people I relate with.

We want a piece of the pie too. Microsoft is taking that opportunity away from us, and setting a standard that we just can't meet.

When Microsoft says that want a cut of pre owned game sales, that sounds really greedy to me. If I buy a Ford truck and then decide to sell it on Craigslist, Ford doesn't require a cut if my gross profit, nor does any other company for any product that I can think of. That's just plain dumb.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

If I do get a next gen console, It's the ps4 for me. I'll still wait an year or two though till the launch bugs get fixed.