RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
JPizzle

Wii U has been fully hacked, claims modding team WiiKey. Nintendo responds. Then Wiikey responds back.

Posted Image

Famous Wii modding team ‘WiiKey’ announced recently that they have hacked the Wii U and have reversed the disk authentication and encryption. Which according to them allows you to play Wii and Wii U games from a USB storage.

Now before you get all excited, there has been no videos, pictures, or any real evidence. However, these claims shouldn’t be brushed off being as the WiiKey team are notorious for their work on the Wii, being the first to create a mod chip for the console a few years ago. It allowed you to play backups, just like the Wii U mod chip can do…. Supposedly.

They announced it on their website, WiiKey.com in the news section. Their first, petite post saying what they have done is pretty simple:

WIIKEÜ - ITS TRUE!

[2013.05.01] Yes, its real – we have now completely reversed the Wii U drive authentification, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation K3y. Stay tuned for updates!

This little update means a lot though, like I said there isn’t any proof, but it still doesn’t mean you can write it off. If Total_Noob said ‘I have a kernel exploit’ would you believe him?
Since the post, the WiiKey team have posted something else, referring to a quote from Nintendo replying on the matter that ‘a hacking team has compromised security’. Here it is:

A FEW LINES OF CODE…

“Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security,” a spokesperson told Eurogamer. “However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode.” 57 55 50 2D 50 2D 41 52 50 50 2D 30 30 2D 31 30 31 45 55 52 2D 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

This is clearly a reply to ‘we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system’ they haven’t said what it means, but with a bit of poking around by translating it into ASCII, I was greeted with ‘WUP-P-ARPP-00-101EUR-2′ Upon shoving that into google, it’s first, most accurate link description was here, a post on ps3hax forums, which shows that it’s probably the game New Super Mario Bro’s Wii U.
Nintendo: Nothing wrong had been done to our console, people can’t play pirated games
WiiKey: New Super Mario Bro’s Wii U.

The WiiKey products page has a description of the upcoming WiiKeÜ’s features:

[*]Play your WiiU and Wii games from any USB media! [*]Compatible with all WiiU models and regions [*]User friendly intuitive interface [*]No soldering required [*]Multi-language support [*]Supports most popular file systems, including EXT4/3/2, Max OS X, and NTFS [*]Powerful embedded Linux system [*]High-speed USB2 interface [*]Firmware and FPGA fully in-system updatable from USB media [*]Recovery mode – it is always possible to recover from a bad flash [*]Stylish USB remote with powered USB hub and charger function [*]Bulletproof high quality hardware (not manufactured in China!)

With its ‘bullet-proof high quality design’ it’s a good thing it’s bullet proof, you don’t want your WiiKeÜ to get shot now, do we?
Like I said in the title, Nintendo have responded, and in response to the hacking claims, they said this:

“Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security, however, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode.

Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products’ security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy.

Behind a hack always comes great controversy, some people like it, some people despise it. People want hacks to bring more to their console, just like my how iDevice is jailbroken, I did it because of the ‘tweaks’ and features doing such a thing can bring. A full hack, will always bring more console sales, but game sales may dip, unfortunately. Like any bit of tech, and although I don’t own one I still want it to succeed. The Wii U is a great console, and it isn’t getting the recognition it deserves, it’s sales aren’t the best, and it is being put in the same category as the Vita in terms of unit sales. Which is bad for both consoles.

Source: http://wololo.net/2013/05/03/wii-u-has-been-fully-hacked-claims-modding-team-wiikey-nintendo-responds-then-wiikey-responds-back/

Nintendo was stupid to cater to soccor moms and little kids with the wii and now their customer base is solely that. With all the true gamers awaiting PS4 and the New Xbox coming in November what hardcore gamer wants to buy a console that was catered to soccor moms and little kids. I bought the wii when it first came out and gave it to my son and bought me a 360. Personally now even with this upcoming wiiU hack I still think I'm gonna wait till November and save my dollars till then. If nobody was blown away by the wiiU now just wait and see what November brings.

I had zero interest in the Wii until I learned what could be done to the console.  It's what got me into console hacking.  2 jtags, 2 rgh, 1 cFW PS3, and 2 Wii softmods later, here I am.  I will not buy a WiiU until I can play from USB.

Super simple stuff.

The only reason I would ever consider buying a WiiU is of course The legend of Zelda.