RealModScene
booyabeetz

Bioshock 2 Crashing on Startup

I seem to be having a problem when starting Bioshock 2 from Aurora.  When I select it to run from the dash it typically just hangs on a black screen instead of rolling the game intro as expected. After 10 to 15 seconds of sitting at that black screen it just goes back to Aurora without me touching anything.

Logs are attached.  Can someone please advise on what is wrong?  Thanks in advance.

debug.log debug.log.last

On 8/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, booyabeetz said:

I seem to be having a problem when starting Bioshock 2 from Aurora.  When I select it to run from the dash it typically just hangs on a black screen instead of rolling the game intro as expected. After 10 to 15 seconds of sitting at that black screen it just goes back to Aurora without me touching anything.

Logs are attached.  Can someone please advise on what is wrong?  Thanks in advance.

debug.log 50.13 kB · 2 downloads debug.log.last 51.48 kB · 1 download

Mine seems to run fine man. You either have a bad rip or wrong title update.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:27 AM, KiwiMeoWii said:

Mine seems to run fine man. You either have a bad rip or wrong title update.

So far I have been able to eliminate a bad rip as being the cause.  I ended up buying another retail copy of the game for testing and the issues are still there regardless of wether the files are manually copied to HD or ripped using the DiscToGod script.  I have also eliminated the HD as a factor since I bought a brand new one to start everything from scratch yet the problems still remain.

Title updates are something I need tinker with to see if that makes any difference.  Which TU are you using?  I am pretty sure I am using TU#3 which is the latest that is available through Aurora.

7 hours ago, booyabeetz said:

So far I have been able to eliminate a bad rip as being the cause.  I ended up buying another retail copy of the game for testing and the issues are still there regardless of wether the files are manually copied to HD or ripped using the DiscToGod script.  I have also eliminated the HD as a factor since I bought a brand new one to start everything from scratch yet the problems still remain.

Title updates are something I need tinker with to see if that makes any difference.  Which TU are you using?  I am pretty sure I am using TU#3 which is the latest that is available through Aurora.

I'm unsure on what TU I'm using I know I don't have TU3 applied via Aurora as it's there but not applied. But because I'm running on stealth everytime I boot bioshock 2 it automatically applies what ever TU I got from xb live etc. I wouldn't have a clue which TU it is as it sits in my cache folder along with other random files that are downloaded from live

Plus my version is an extracted iso running from external.

1 minute ago, KiwiMeoWii said:

I'm unsure on what TU I'm using I know I don't have TU3 applied via Aurora as it's there but not applied. But because I'm running on stealth everytime I boot bioshock 2 it automatically applies what ever TU I got from xb live etc. I wouldn't have a clue which TU it is as it sits in my cache folder along with other random files that are downloaded from live

Alright well I appreciate the reply in any case.  I will report back after doing some additional testing.

I forgot to mention that this problem has been reported by others recently as well on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/360hacks/comments/wwwx89/bioshock_2/

It's definitely an intermittent issue which makes it hard to trace or diagnose...

3 hours ago, booyabeetz said:

Alright well I appreciate the reply in any case.  I will report back after doing some additional testing.

I forgot to mention that this problem has been reported by others recently as well on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/360hacks/comments/wwwx89/bioshock_2/

It's definitely an intermittent issue which makes it hard to trace or diagnose...

Bioshock 2 loads up fine via Aurora & takes me to where I left off. Plus it loads up my old gamesave for campaign I never finished years ago. 

6 hours ago, KiwiMeoWii said:

Bioshock 2 loads up fine via Aurora & takes me to where I left off. Plus it loads up my old gamesave for campaign I never finished years ago. 

Yeah so this is why the issue is so weird, it's intermittent and does not manifest itself right away.  I didn't start seeing problems until I played the game on and off for several days.  I was about half way through the game when I started seeing that it wouldn't boot the game consistently anymore.

To test for the issue on a new RGH setup with the latest Aurora I am just starting Bioshock 2, then waiting till I get to the main menu, then quitting back to Aurora, then starting Bioshock 2 again, and I keep doing that over and over again.  In my experience Bioshock 2 will stop booting consistently within roughly 10 cycles.  My next step is to see if changing the Title Updates makes any difference...

2 minutes ago, dice88 said:

Do you have the dlc's installed? Remove the multiplayer dlc's and then try booting.

Yeah I stopped messing with DLC's awhile ago since they appear to cause various other issues.  Right now I am running a new HD with no DLC's installed at all.

Do you have livestrong enabled in dashlaunch? Try disabling it. The game should bootup fine. In my case the multiplayer dlc's along with livestrong were causing crashes at startup.

11 hours ago, dice88 said:

Do you have livestrong enabled in dashlaunch? Try disabling it. The game should bootup fine. In my case the multiplayer dlc's along with livestrong were causing crashes at startup.

I tried your suggestion however that appears to have not changed anything.  From what I can tell Livestrong is just an option to be more aggressive in blocking connections that would be associated with the xbox live service.  I am also running a new vanilla RGH install with no extras like DLC's, extra plugins or anything like that.  I also don't play anything online or multiplayer...

14 minutes ago, toomuchsweat said:

I had an issue with Bioshock 2 also, it ended up being a plugin I had in the Dashlaunch.ini. See what you've got and remove as needed.

I looked but I don't have any plugins listed in Dashlaunch.  I am currently running a new vanilla RGH Aurora install.  No extras, plugins, DLC's or anything like that.

Do you have the GOTY edition? That comes with two discs and you will have to copy the Content folder off the disc1 (or whichever has the Content folder) and place that on your internal hdd.

1 minute ago, toomuchsweat said:

Do you have the GOTY edition?

The latest retail disc I am testing with is the regular version (i.e. not GOTY). 

In the meantime I tried toggling the various title updates in Aurora to see if anything changes however nothing improved.  There are three title updates available through Aurora so I tried each of those in addition to having no TU's enabled at all... still no luck.

I also did some tests using the other retail disc I bought.  Running the retail disc directly from Aurora so far seems to be more reliable in booting the game however it will still eventually hang like in the previous tests.

Out of curiosity I tried switching to FSD3 and the problem occurs there as well.  The only difference there is that it will often get to the first disclaimer text in Bioshock 2 before kicking back to FSD3 after like 10 seconds or so.

This is quite a bummer.  I thought I could help the community by uncovering a bug but it's unclear what is causing this.
Edited by booyabeetz
typo

Okay try this. Press Y on the title then scroll left to settings for the game. Enable "Fake Live" option. Now try booting.

On 9/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, dice88 said:

Okay try this. Press Y on the title then scroll left to settings for the game. Enable "Fake Live" option. Now try booting.

Thank you for the tip.  Unfortunately that did not seem to help.

Hey, I'm having the exact same issue with Bioshock 2. The game fails to start from Aurora and FS3. The only way I can get the game to run consistently is by removing the internal HDD and booting the game from a USB stick using XeXMenu. So install XeXmenu and game on the USB and boot it from there. This makes me believe this might have something to do with DashLaunch, Launch.ini settings? Let me know if you figure it out, thanks ❤️

On 9/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, Greenpoint718 said:

Hey, I'm having the exact same issue with Bioshock 2. The game fails to start from Aurora and FS3. The only way I can get the game to run consistently is by removing the internal HDD and booting the game from a USB stick using XeXMenu. So install XeXmenu and game on the USB and boot it from there. This makes me believe this might have something to do with DashLaunch, Launch.ini settings? Let me know if you figure it out, thanks ❤️

what plugins do you currently have loaded in your launch.ini file?

I had the same issue, in my DashLaunch Fakelive was enabled so I disabled it and saved to the HDD .ini file. It worked after that. I had the same problem with Dead or Alive 5 and Ultra Street fighter 4

hope this helps

On 9/30/2022 at 11:43 AM, toomuchsweat said:

what plugins do you currently have loaded in your launch.ini file?

none, I'm not running any plugins. Also, Fakelive is disabled. It's definitely an intermittent issue since the game sometimes loads up no problem.