RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
rst123

Connecting xbox 360 and PC to the internet using a switch

Can I connect the xbox and PC to the internet using a switch which is connected to the cable modem? Or will I need a router for that?

It depends. Does your modem have routing functions? If its just a modem chances are you will need to see if your ISP will let you get two IP addresses and then assign one to each device. However that route will probably cost you more money. It cost me $7 per additional IP assigned to my modem. Chances are you will want a device that has a DHCP server on it hosting your internet as a Gateway. So in my opinion best to get a router. Hope I helped.   On the other side I'm sure there is a way to do this on a OSX and Linux based system, but you for sure can share your internet with another device if you have an extra Network card or (NIC) in your machine. Lookup (ICS) Internet connection sharing for Windows based machine. If you don't have another NIC and your modem has the ability to give you internet via USB connection, you can connect your modem to your PC via USB and then share that internet connection to your xbox via ICS. Let me know what you come up with. 

• Like 1