RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
outofwork

Image copy of HDD1 possible?

Is there a way to make a complete image copy of HDD1 for backup purposes?  Can Connectx be used to do this?  What I am looking for is similar to making an image copy of the C drive on my PC that I make once a week for backup purposes?  In other words, if I get a failure that renders HDD1 unusable can I simply buy another drive and restore a backup image of HDD1 that I previously made?

I can map the console to my PC and copy "most" folders on HDD1.  As I recall the last time I tried this there were one or two folders on HDD1 that I couldn't see.  Do I need to somehow set permissions on HDD1 so that I could see them?  How would I do that?

Thanks,

outofwork

• Like 1

Windows doesn't support FATX partitions by default, but I'm sure that you can use Party Buffalo Drive explorer to make an image of the whole drive.

IT's easiest to not mess anything up if you blind copy with something like clonezilla. I've done that several times without problems. I've wasted hours trying to do this in windows. Simply put, it takes a while to clone a 1TB or 2TB HDD but it works.

• Like 1

Clonezilla?  Is that something that runs on the XBox 360 itself OR do you have to remove HDD1 and attach it to something else?  I've only got a 320 GB drive for HDD1 while I have a 2 TB external USB for my games and XBLA.

Thanks,

outofwork

Thank you for making this topic. I was wondering about this too.

You will have to take out your external and connect it to your PC. You will have to boot with clonezilla by mounting it on a usb or something. 

I have tried with acronis and such, but like BL4K3Y said...it cannot pick up fatx partitions. Bline clone will be your way to go. I am also going to do this tonight.

As I recall before I got into the RGH scene I had a connector that attached to the HDD1 XBox hard drive connector and attached to the PC via USB.  I wonder if that will work?  Or, are you talking about removing the hard drive from the HDD1 enclosure and then attaching it to the PC?  That seems to be a bit of a PITA.  Is Clonezilla readily available?  Let me know how this works out and IF you get a complete, restorable image copy.

Given the sophistication of the folks that created FSD and several of the other utilities I am really surprised that someone hasn't created an easy to use foolproof method of image copying and restoring HDD1.  This seems to be a glaring exposure of risk.  There must be something that I am missing about this issue because on  the surface at least the lack of such a piece of code/method is illogical.

Thanks,

outofwork