RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
k01

ftp can't keep a consistent speed

Hi,

this is my first post in the forum so don't be harsh if i missed something:)

now i have this little problem. I'm using ftp to transfer games to xbox hdd and it just can't keep a consistent speed. By this i mean that for example when i start to load in the morning it gives me ~11mb/s speed. Later it falls to 8mb/s .....3 mb/s...... 2kb/s....200b/s (not joking). it seems that if i keep doing it longer ( a few games and such) the speed just declines. I found that rebooting the whole system (xbox + pc)  helps to restore the speed.

at first i thought that maby my internet connection is eatting up the traffic or that maby general hdd activity of pc is to be blamed, but i turned off all the torrents, web browsers and left no hdd/cpu hungry tasks and it still doesn't help any.

I would like to know if this is fixable and what's causing it?

a bit of info on the setup:

xbox is connected through cable to the router, the computer is connected wirelessly to the router through 5ghz band. the router is asus RT-N56U with newest stock fw, the ftp program is WinSCP. fsd is 3.0b rev 735 + dashlaunch 3.07 but i noticed the same with older fsd versions too, so i don't think this is version-specific

Posted Image

tell me if i missed anything or need more info

Try having the computer wired to your router too.

I used FTP once, then I found it quicker to use a usb stick :)

Otherwise, get a better router.

better? i kinda think this one is pretty good... i mean it's not a 20bucks tp-link or whatever, pretty stable and gives pretty decent speeds over wi fi.

anyway, i used to do this on another router and computer which were all wired and the same thing would occur. it was a linksys wrt54g v7 i think

i have a win7 home premium. i think that's the reason why i can't find the settings tab and set up samba. spent this morning searching. nothing.

(supposingly the same was with win xp. only pro versions could access the settings needed)

i have a win7 home premium. i think that's the reason why i can't find the settings tab and set up samba. spent this morning searching. nothing.

(supposingly the same was with win xp. only pro versions could access the settings needed

Go to Settings in FSD. Make sure the Samba option is Checked. Under that it should say "WorkGroup". Make sure that it matches your settings in Windows 7. Under that it should say "XBOX360" You can change it to whatever. I use "JTAG"

Next, go into the File Manager in FSD. Look for the folder "smb" Click on it to open. It should open to a folder "Workgroup" Click on that. It should now show you all computers on your network. Click on the one that you want to connect to.  A window will pop up. Asking for a Username and password. Put whatever you called the XBOX in the first step. Leave the password line blank. Click the Test button. It should say ' Succesful" Click save settings and exit.

Now open windows explorer on your PC. On the Left side it should show "Network" Click the dropdown arrow and you should see your XBOX.

mm cool.

i only found guides that had a part:- Click Start- now in the search box , search for " Local Security Policy "- right Click Local Security Policy , run as administrator- Local Policies- Click Security Options