RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
STste

HDD Upgrade data transfer using PC

Im trying to upgrade my RGH XBOX360 HDD from 250 to 500GB, Is there any way of copying my original HDD to my PC, so  then I can simply transfer it to my new HDD, perhaps a home brew program etc etc. I have a USB - SATA cable, which I have connected to my PC, but the computer only recgonises save files and other small files, not any game files. I realise I could copy/paste using Aurora on the console, but id rather not, if possible have the console running for the long time it would take to complete the transfer.

1 hour ago, STste said:

Im trying to upgrade my RGH XBOX360 HDD from 250 to 500GB, Is there any way of copying my original HDD to my PC, so  then I can simply transfer it to my new HDD, perhaps a home brew program etc etc. I have a USB - SATA cable, which I have connected to my PC, but the computer only recgonises save files and other small files, not any game files. I realise I could copy/paste using Aurora on the console, but id rather not, if possible have the console running for the long time it would take to complete the transfer.

Try installing xbox Content Manager in Computer.

Honestly, I used FATexplorer and mounted the drive to my local system to transfer file on and off of it.

Have two FATx partitions causes issues with the data transfer regarding data corruption.

I recommend mounting the original HDD to your PC with FatX to back up what you want to keep.

Then take your replacement drive and use the HDD hacker utility to flash the firmware on it to be Xbox compatible.

From that point take the new drive and put it in your console and reformat it from the consoles default GUI system storage menu.

When that's done,pull the drive out, reconnect back to PC and xfer all of your files to it locally (Including the ones you backed up from the original drive.)

Once all of that has been done with your base system files you should be able to FTP to the device with FileZilla without further issue.

OR since you have it mounted to your PC, why not just xfer the files at the speed of your system bus? (MUCH MUCH FASTER) (copy/paste)

Thats great advice , very much appreciated. I have used FatX to copy the contents of my exisiting HDD to my PC. I have formatted the new HDD using the XBOX360. Now I have copied over everything I took from the original EXCEPT the games folder. I created a new games folder and just copied two of the original game files, basically wanted to test the new HDD was working correctly before commiting to the lengthy process of transferring all the games.

So now with just two games in the "games" folder I put the new HDD into the console and booted up.

When Aroura boots it displays all the names and artwork of ALL the 90+ games that were on the older HDD but cannot be played (obviousley as theyre not in the Game folder) , and it doesnt recognise the two games on the new HDD. Im assuming I have copied over some content type file that tells the console that all the games are still on the HDD.  What have I done incorrectly ?

5 hours ago, STste said:

Thats great advice , very much appreciated. I have used FatX to copy the contents of my exisiting HDD to my PC. I have formatted the new HDD using the XBOX360. Now I have copied over everything I took from the original EXCEPT the games folder. I created a new games folder and just copied two of the original game files, basically wanted to test the new HDD was working correctly before commiting to the lengthy process of transferring all the games.

So now with just two games in the "games" folder I put the new HDD into the console and booted up.

When Aroura boots it displays all the names and artwork of ALL the 90+ games that were on the older HDD but cannot be played (obviousley as theyre not in the Game folder) , and it doesnt recognise the two games on the new HDD. Im assuming I have copied over some content type file that tells the console that all the games are still on the HDD.  What have I done incorrectly ?

It is still using your content.db file from your original setup.

What I'd do is this:

Go into your Aurora folder on the console locally using Xexmenu, FSD, or a different copy of aurora that won't lock the Database files when it loads into memory.

For me the folder path is HDD1/ISOS/Aurora/Data/Databases

You will most likely want to delete content.db and rescan your file collection after you've put in your new scan paths.

While you're at it, create a folder in the databases folder called backup and copy content.db and settings.db into it for future use if your content scan goes south and it corrupts your title database like it did to me two days ago.