RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
RamonHugo

Can not run .xex files from an external HD.

I'm using using: (1) DashLaunch V3.21 (601) with the hddalive option from the menu "Timers" turned on and with the file alive.txt in the root of the external hd (Usb0);  (2) XexMenu 1.2; and (3) Aurora 0.7b r1622 with everytging well set on "Paths" and with all emulators appearing in the interface menu - the emulators are in a separated directory in order for the classification in the Aurora interface to work correctly. My dashboard is version 2.0.17559.0 on an Xbox 360E.

I'm not being able to run .xex files from external HDs neither using XexMenu nor Aurora interface. I've noticed that behavior when trying to use the software from this thread, but eventually I've realized that if moving to the internal hd the .xex emulators work:

(The video was a bit bad, so I've removed it. Not sure how to remove this thing below)

Edited by RamonHugo
Clarifying thread

6 hours ago, RamonHugo said:

I can not run any Emulator. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe is something about the software version, I'm not sure.

I'm using Aurora 0.7b r1622 with DashLaunch V3.21 and I have the XexMenu 1.2 (I've tried to run through Xex too).

Now I've remembered why I do have the Simple Nand Flasher 1.2, I've updated my dashboard to 2.0.17559.0 (I think I've said something wrong about that regard in the video)

how are you transferring the games mate??

and no version of aurora can stop an emulator from running...

also.. do you have hdd alive turned on in dashlaunch? since you are using an external??

also, have you tried a different source?? i dont want to randomly plug my own stuff.. but give it a go mate:

I've transfered from the computer to the HD directly.

And I really doubt is about a hd problem - this one does not sleep, I hate the ones that do that.

But, if was a problem with the files someone would had mentioned that in the topic. I think I may be doing something wrong.

So ... My problem seems unusual, is that correct? I've tried other versions, but I'll give it a try with the link you've sent. Thanks.

2 hours ago, RamonHugo said:

I've transfered from the computer to the HD directly.

And I really doubt is about a hd problem - this one does not sleep, I hate the ones that do that.

But, if was a problem with the files someone would had mentioned that in the topic. I think I may be doing something wrong.

So ... My problem seems unusual, is that correct? I've tried other versions, but I'll give it a try with the link you've sent. Thanks.

I was wondering if you used FTP or something.. 

All externals need the HDD alive option on Xbox mate, that's why it was made.

Done everything you've recommended. Exact same behavior. Still stuck with the message "the game couldn't start". I really believe is not related with HD awake issues. I've also moved the emulators to the internal HD without being abble to run anything.

F*ck ... Solved. A restart make it run. It seems the emulators only works in the internal hd. I'll notify that in the emulators thread.

3 minutes ago, RamonHugo said:

F*ck ... Solved. A restart make it run. It seems the emulators only works in the internal hd. I'll notify that in the emulators thread.

No.. the emulators can be ran from anywhere.. your content directory was probably in aurora was set for internal, or something like that.. or a dual external issue mate.. 

I guarantee if you try and load the emulators off USB via file manager or xexmenu (which is file manager) they will work.

Edit:

In this case, it was an Aurora bug with the location. This is known to be an issue with using multiple USB devices, as they can register with the same hardware IDs

I can guarantee was not about the content. As you can see I have it well organized in both hds. And I has seeing all the emulators in my Aurora, specifically on emulators - that's the why for the directories. And, as I said in the beginning, I'm testing with the Aurora's interface and xexmenu.

I believe is possible those xex files have something hardcodded to Hdd1? Everything seem to be working with the internal hd.

IMG_20200725_173614.jpg

IMG_20200725_173627.jpg

IMG_20200725_173635.jpg

IMG_20200725_174122.jpg

Hope someone could help me to handle this.

Can I assume the xex files need to be in the internal hd?

And I ask that because I can not run neither in Aurora nor XexMenu.

Edited by RamonHugo
adding a question

Its not helpful and not necessary to post your problem in different subforums to the same time. Please be patient, until someone  will react to your posting. 😉

On 25/07/2020 at 18:56, RamonHugo said:

Espero que alguém possa me ajudar a lidar com isso.

Posso assumir que os arquivos xex precisam estar no hd interno?

E pergunto isso porque não posso executar nem no Aurora nem no XexMenu.

I never did the test to see if it works or not, but it may be that this hard drive has a GPT partition table (the right thing, or the default is MBR). Also confirm that it is formatted in FAT32.

I have a Fat32 with sector size of 4096 bytes with 3.7T. The disklabel type appears as "dos" using "fdisk -l". With GParted the partition table appears as " msdos". So, I believe is MBR.

The only thing is that the Xbox 1 emu have to stored on internal HD. The size of your external hdd is ?

Your partition on your external hdd is a primary partition  ?

Is a 3.7TB HD, and then the reason for the sector size of 4096 bytes when using Fat32 - I know, a bit exaggerated.

The only flag in the HD is LBA, so is an extended partition.

The Xbox 360 can only handle 2 TB partitions and the partiton must be an primary one.

That is not true for a while now. Is all about the sector size settings when using Fat32. Of course is not something you can handle easily, and specially not with the Windows SO main tools. But I can guarantee, my HD works well for everything - I have a ton of games.

I know some games only work when in the internal HD, such as the arcade ones. So, is not about the HD being recognized or anything. I can use it passing the 2TB point no problem too.

And I think the Xbox 1 games are also kept in the internal HD (mine is 250GB).

My question is why the .xex files, and only the .xex files (I have absolutely no problem using a 3.7TB HD) don't run when using this HD. But Neocazen have a valid point, may is something with the system not handling well my strange approach, may something with the 4096 bytes sector size? Or maybe the HD should be set with the flag boot for the system to handle the .xex correctly?

And one more thing, should I post the explanation about Fat32 and sector size and how to generate a well usable Fat32 HD for Xbox 360 with any size? I though this was already general knowledge.

16 minutes ago, RamonHugo said:

That is not true for a while now. Is all about the sector size settings when using Fat32.

Its complete nonsense. The Xbox FatX is based on Fat32 with some custom features and can only access 2 TB per partition. It doesn't matter which cluster size you choose, coz its a limitation from Microsoft 😉

7 hours ago, Neocazen said:

I never did the test to see if it works or not, but it may be that this hard drive has a GPT partition table (the right thing, or the default is MBR). Also confirm that it is formatted in FAT32.

I'm using Fat32 with a big cluster. Done a lot of testing and can guarantee I'm not doing magic. So, I have MBR partition and no, the limitation for 2T was for a while a limitation for the 4KB sector size, something Windows 7 related, I'm not sure the whys, but now is possible to handle up to 16T with address and I've done that. Was a technology address limitation, and not XBox related as mentioned. So, do I have to have the flag boot on the HD or something? My problem is to run .xex files and not if someone believes that I can use memory address. Supose my HD is 2TB if makes you feel safer.

2 hours ago, RamonHugo said:

I'm using Fat32 with a big cluster. Done a lot of testing and can guarantee I'm not doing magic. So, I have MBR partition and no, the limitation for 2T was for a while a limitation for the 4KB sector size, something Windows 7 related, I'm not sure the whys, but now is possible to handle up to 16T with address and I've done that. Was a technology address limitation, and not XBox related as mentioned. So, do I have to have the flag boot on the HD or something? My problem is to run .xex files and not if someone believes that I can use memory address. Supose my HD is 2TB if makes you feel safer.

Theoretically you can adress on FAT32 over 8 TB. But Microsoft limited the partition size on WIndows os on 2 TB per partition. If you fill your partition over 2 TB, your file tabel get crashed. Try it out. It has nothing to do witch cluster size you choose on WIndows OS.

9 horas atrás, RamonHugo disse:

Estou usando o Fat32 com um grande cluster. Realizei muitos testes e posso garantir que não estou fazendo mágica. Então, eu tenho partição MBR e não, a limitação do 2T foi por um tempo uma limitação para o tamanho do setor de 4KB, algo relacionado ao Windows 7, não tenho certeza dos porquês, mas agora é possível lidar com até 16T com endereço e Eu já fiz isso. Era uma limitação de endereço de tecnologia, e não o XBox, conforme mencionado. Então, eu tenho que ter a bandeira de inicialização no HD ou algo assim? Meu problema é executar arquivos .xex e não se alguém acreditar que eu posso usar o endereço de memória. Suponha que meu HD tenha 2 TB se você se sentir mais seguro.

If you try to run the game through explorer and it doesn't run, those games have probably been corrupted.