RealModScene
CrownCrafter

Internal HDD vs External HDD(Flash Drive) Xbox 360 Slim

I am going to get my Xbox 360 4 gb slim rgh'ed. It doesn't have any internal hdd installed. So, my question is this, is there any difference between internal and external hdd feature-wise. I know an internal hdd is faster than external.But I would like to know if - 

1) Can you run games off external hdd(flash drive)?

2)Run DLC off external hdd(flash drive)?

3)OG Xbox emulation from External HDD(flash drive)?

50 minutes ago, CrownCrafter said:

I am going to get my Xbox 360 4 gb slim rgh'ed. It doesn't have any internal hdd installed. So, my question is this, is there any difference between internal and external hdd feature-wise. I know an internal hdd is faster than external.But I would like to know if - 

1) Can you run games off external hdd?

2)Run DLC off external hdd?

3)OG Xbox emulation from External HDD?

1 Yes you can. Retro compatibility games (Xbox Classic) will only work if you have it. Some games (rarely) only work on it.
2 It is preferable to have DLCs and game content on separate HDs, but this is not a rule.
3 Games can be on any HD but as I said above, HDDX compatibility is only installed on the internal HD

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Neocazen said:

1 Yes you can. Retro compatibility games (Xbox Classic) will only work if you have it. Some games (rarely) only work on it.

3 Games can be on any HD but as I said above, HDDX compatibility is only installed on the internal HD

By ' if you have it' , you mean the flsah drive, right?

Do I need to install anything to run XB 1(classic) games from external hdd i.e flash drive

6 hours ago, CrownCrafter said:

1) Can you run games off external hdd(flash drive)?

2)Run DLC off external hdd(flash drive)?

3)OG Xbox emulation from External HDD(flash drive)?

imma answer these for you:

1) games have always been able to run off the HDD via modded console("always" is a loose term), and the rest of this answer i'll follow in the next question.

2) NOW you can, before you COULD NOT. your kernel has to be 17349 or higher. ever since that dash, they removed the special USB limits, and allowed STOCK/Retail units to store games/XBLA/DLC/TU's on a fat32 usb drive.

3) quite possibly if you setup said drive as your system drive, but you would need no internal hdd.(this is a theory, NOT tested)

3.1) someone would need to test a retail unit with this, as like i said, they changed usb stuff, and maybe if you set usb as system drive, and put in an OG game, they might have a different setup for this.. as i stated, all theory and no facts.

4 hours ago, CrownCrafter said:

For games like GTA V, can the install disc and play disc be on same flash drive?

havent tried this game, theoretically it could. i know for a fact MTS5 you can not. i tried to test that particular game, and you would need an internal hdd. OFC they could have fixed this "bug" since then, seeing as they are supposed to allow external hdds to be system drives.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, felida said:

imma answer these for you:

1) games have always been able to run off the HDD via modded console("always" is a loose term), and the rest of this answer i'll follow in the next question.

2) NOW you can, before you COULD NOT. your kernel has to be 17349 or higher. ever since that dash, they removed the special USB limits, and allowed STOCK/Retail units to store games/XBLA/DLC/TU's on a fat32 usb drive.

3) quite possibly if you setup said drive as your system drive, but you would need no internal hdd.(this is a theory, NOT tested)

3.1) someone would need to test a retail unit with this, as like i said, they changed usb stuff, and maybe if you set usb as system drive, and put in an OG game, they might have a different setup for this.. as i stated, all theory and no facts.

havent tried this game, theoretically it could. i know for a fact MTS5 you can not. i tried to test that particular game, and you would need an internal hdd. OFC they could have fixed this "bug" since then, seeing as they are supposed to allow external hdds to be system drives.

Yes, they can, but I have already seen on the internet a test done with it, in which the files of the two discs were on the same HD and the game environment, at times, was poorly assembled.

5 hours ago, CrownCrafter said:

So in the end, there is no difference between using an internal or external HDD, right? (obviously except performance)

most games.. no.. a few.. possibly mate..

like i said, ever since dash 17349, they changed the game with it lol..

22 hours ago, CrownCrafter said:

So in the end, there is no difference between using an internal or external HDD, right? (obviously except performance)

22 hours ago, CrownCrafter said:

And if you're playing xbox Classic, because HDDX can only be created on the internal HD