RealModScene
pelago

Problematic games installation database

Is there an existing, or has anyone considered creating, some sort of structured wiki or database for how to install particular games on a JTAG/RGH console, especially the problematic or multi-disc or "content installation" games that don't work with a normal extract?

There are various tutorials on here and YouTube and the xpgamesaves forum (e.g. http://www.xpgamesaves.com/threads/tutorial-far-cry-4-installation.114002/ which I don't think the average use would have been able to work out themselves) but as I say, it would be good if there was a single database that would cover this definitively.

Even better would be if Aurora could somehow query this database (maybe via Unity) in a machine-readable manner, and semi-automatically "fix" games for users, e.g. downloading a game-specific script that would move things into the correct folders etc. That would make the user experience pretty slick.

4 hours ago, pelago said:

Is there an existing, or has anyone considered creating, some sort of structured wiki or database for how to install particular games on a JTAG/RGH console, especially the problematic or multi-disc or "content installation" games that don't work with a normal extract?

There are various tutorials on here and YouTube and the xpgamesaves forum (e.g. http://www.xpgamesaves.com/threads/tutorial-far-cry-4-installation.114002/ which I don't think the average use would have been able to work out themselves) but as I say, it would be good if there was a single database that would cover this definitively.

Even better would be if Aurora could somehow query this database (maybe via Unity) in a machine-readable manner, and semi-automatically "fix" games for users, e.g. downloading a game-specific script that would move things into the correct folders etc. That would make the user experience pretty slick.

1st. that guide is off.. period.. there is no possible way that 3.7GB will dwindle down to 115KB..

AND the fact the SAME EXACT words are used for BOTH methods. HENCE why no one can understand it, the guide is faulty. and YES, COPY AND MOVE are essentially the SAME words.

but let me clarify this, copying the folder on 360 will still leave it on the hdd on the 360, but copying it to your 360 install dir from PC is essentially MOVING the folder, which is method 2. still will be 3.7GB worth of data to be transferred, you just do not have the extra 3.7GB(which would roughly equate to 7.4GB total on the hdd)

2nd. EACH multi disc game is different, FF13 can be extracted and combined into a single folder, others have install content(MGSTTP for example) that require the install content to be on the internal HDD, game/tu/dlc can be on USB, but the install content MUST be on internal hdd.

3rd. there are TONS of specific guides out there, but they are basically the SAME exact process for each. you are basically asking to be spoon fed for each game, instead of using the basic guide that is EVERYWHERE, take the files within the "content" folder (either disc 1 or disc 2) and put into "content" folder on HDD. take the OTHER disc, and use that to play. since you obviously dont have the original discs, which would be labeled as "PLAY DISC" and "INSTALL DISC", i am going to assume you download your stuff, and PIRACY IS NOT ALLOWED HERE!!!

4th. the "install content" must be moved to the correct location. there is no way around it. (usually it is packaged in to pirs/live/con files, which are required ANYHOW)

5th. if my answers havent helped you understand. then it is simply USER ERROR!!!

The Far Cry 4 guide works fine. It is talking about moving files around in the extracted game folder (installation1 is a subfolder within the main game folder, not a separate disc or anything), and depending on how you do this, the game will either install or not install 3.7GB into Content/0000000000000000. Given that you're playing from HDD not DVD anyway, you don't really need the installed content for improved performance, so method 2 seems better to me. Either way, if you don't have the files from the installation1 subfolder existing in the extracted game root folder, the game won't run (gives an error about dirty disc). It would be interesting to know why that is, incidentally.

For content-installation discs, I know that usually you just copy the Content folder correctly, but some generate the files dynamically (unzipping or equivalent at runtime), and these discs sometimes only work in GoD format. I realise there isn't a method to convert an extracted game into GoD format, yet alone one on an Xbox, but if a script could handle that semi-automatically on the console (identifying via the title ID), that would be awesome. Scripts to convert/install/optimise multi-disc games (which as you say are all different, which is why I'm advocating a database of game-specific solutions), would also be great.

I'm sorry if you don't think such a service would be useful.

4 hours ago, pelago said:

The Far Cry 4 guide works fine. It is talking about moving files around in the extracted game folder (installation1 is a subfolder within the main game folder, not a separate disc or anything), and depending on how you do this, the game will either install or not install 3.7GB into Content/0000000000000000. Given that you're playing from HDD not DVD anyway, you don't really need the installed content for improved performance, so method 2 seems better to me. Either way, if you don't have the files from the installation1 subfolder existing in the extracted game root folder, the game won't run (gives an error about dirty disc). It would be interesting to know why that is, incidentally.

For content-installation discs, I know that usually you just copy the Content folder correctly, but some generate the files dynamically (unzipping or equivalent at runtime), and these discs sometimes only work in GoD format. I realise there isn't a method to convert an extracted game into GoD format, yet alone one on an Xbox, but if a script could handle that semi-automatically on the console (identifying via the title ID), that would be awesome. Scripts to convert/install/optimise multi-disc games (which as you say are all different, which is why I'm advocating a database of game-specific solutions), would also be great.

I'm sorry if you don't think such a service would be useful.

Actually.. 360mpgui will convert extracted game to iso, and then iso2god, is a pc app tho.. all those nifty programs rolled into 1...

the dirty disc error, is because the game is missing required files.. it is looking for them and cant find em.. hence the error..

Now the extra 3.7gb for farcry 4 might be for multiplayer or something else.. i dont have the game to look personally.. but i can guarantee you, that 3.7gb is required for something..

And usually, if you remove the media limitation from the xex(more info in the next part on this), you dont need to run from GoD, basically GoD bypasses the check as a different 44kb file launches the game.. think of GoD as a virtual disc mounter, in laymens terms.. not the actual wording, but is same thing really..

And as for your comment about games "unzipping" at runtime, that is just wrong lol.. how the hell is the disc gonna have data written to it? It cant.. 99% of the time, either the game has characters past the 42 limit, and those require GoD format, or the default.xex is limited where it can be run from, which is what the media limitations patch removes in xextool.. now, you would have to patch default.xex with TU prior to this patch, as the TU wont apply using the normal methods due to the original xex being modified, so this is also why i always recommend using GoD over extracted. Is much simpler, and you have less chance missing files when transferring to 360..

And fyi, most of the guides for multi disc games are already on this site, all you need to do is use the damn search function lol..

I'm not sure if I'm explaining the Far Cry 4 thing properly. Here is the directory tree of the files from an extracted disc:

├── [ 13M]  AvatarAssetPack
├── [1.1M]  default.xex
├── [ 13M]  game.xex
├── [ 155]  installation1
│   ├── [ 82M]  common.dat
│   ├── [ 53K]  common.fat
│   ├── [ 23M]  ige.dat
│   ├── [135K]  ige.fat
│   ├── [7.6M]  shadersobj.dat
│   ├── [132K]  shadersobj.fat
│   └── [  51]  worlds
│       ├── [  96]  fcc_main
│       │   ├── [2.1G]  fcc_main.dat
│       │   ├── [4.9M]  fcc_main.fat
│       │   ├── [122M]  fcc_main_vistas.dat
│       │   └── [328K]  fcc_main_vistas.fat
│       └── [ 128]  multicommon
│           ├── [1.2G]  multicommon.dat
│           ├── [2.7M]  multicommon.fat
│           ├── [ 72M]  multicommon_vistas.dat
│           └── [195K]  multicommon_vistas.fat
├── [ 106]  media
│   ├── [1.9M]  simplescene.xzp
│   ├── [2.5M]  TradeGothicLT-Bold-JAP.ttf
│   └── [1.4M]  TradeGothicLT-Bold.ttf
├── [2.1M]  nxeart
├── [1.4G]  sound.dat
├── [316M]  sound_english.dat
├── [390K]  sound_english.fat
├── [105K]  sound.fat
├── [299M]  sound_french.dat
├── [390K]  sound_french.fat
├── [306M]  sound_german.dat
├── [390K]  sound_german.fat
├── [305M]  sound_italian.dat
├── [390K]  sound_italian.fat
├── [290M]  sound_spanish.dat
├── [390K]  sound_spanish.fat
├── [ 22K]  SPLASH_720.PNG
├── [1.6M]  UplayBrowser.dat
├── [5.2M]  UplayBrowser.xex
├── [  18]  UplayMedia
│   └── [  21]  theme
│       └── [5.1M]  fc3theme
├── [5.3M]  UplayMedia.dat
└── [  51]  worlds
    ├── [4.0K]  fcc_main
    │   ├── [ 19M]  fcc_main_english.dat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_english.fat
    │   ├── [ 18M]  fcc_main_french.dat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_french.fat
    │   ├── [ 18M]  fcc_main_german.dat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_german.fat
    │   ├── [ 18M]  fcc_main_italian.dat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_italian.fat
    │   ├── [ 18M]  fcc_main_spanish.dat
    │   └── [375K]  fcc_main_spanish.fat
    └── [4.0K]  multicommon
        ├── [ 14M]  multicommon_english.dat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_english.fat
        ├── [ 14M]  multicommon_french.dat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_french.fat
        ├── [ 14M]  multicommon_german.dat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_german.fat
        ├── [ 14M]  multicommon_italian.dat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_italian.fat
        ├── [ 14M]  multicommon_spanish.dat
        └── [296K]  multicommon_spanish.fat

Total size of folder on HDD at this point, ~6.7GB.

If you run that game as it stands, on first run the game itself will create 3.7GB in Content/0000000000000000/something, which you'll notice is the same size as the files in the installation1 folder. Resulting space used on HDD, ~11GB . After creating the Content folder, the game will then give a disc error.

If instead you modify the extracted disc as follows (i.e. copying everything from installation1 to the root folder of the disc, taking care to merge the "worlds" subfolder, which can be tricky on a Mac), you get:

├── [ 82M]  common.dat
├── [ 53K]  common.fat
├── [1.1M]  default.xex
├── [ 13M]  game.xex
├── [ 23M]  ige.dat
├── [135K]  ige.fat
├── [ 155]  installation1
│   ├── [ 82M]  common.dat
│   ├── [ 53K]  common.fat
│   ├── [ 23M]  ige.dat
│   ├── [135K]  ige.fat
│   ├── [7.6M]  shadersobj.dat
│   ├── [132K]  shadersobj.fat
│   └── [  51]  worlds
│       ├── [  96]  fcc_main
│       │   ├── [2.1G]  fcc_main.dat
│       │   ├── [4.9M]  fcc_main.fat
│       │   ├── [122M]  fcc_main_vistas.dat
│       │   └── [328K]  fcc_main_vistas.fat
│       └── [ 128]  multicommon
│           ├── [1.2G]  multicommon.dat
│           ├── [2.7M]  multicommon.fat
│           ├── [ 72M]  multicommon_vistas.dat
│           └── [195K]  multicommon_vistas.fat
├── [ 106]  media
├── [2.1M]  nxeart
├── [7.6M]  shadersobj.dat
├── [132K]  shadersobj.fat
├── [1.4G]  sound.dat
├── [105K]  sound.fat
├── [  18]  UplayMedia
│   └── [  21]  theme
└── [  51]  worlds
    ├── [4.0K]  fcc_main
    │   ├── [2.1G]  fcc_main.dat
    │   ├── [4.9M]  fcc_main.fat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_spanish.fat
    │   ├── [122M]  fcc_main_vistas.dat
    │   └── [328K]  fcc_main_vistas.fat
    └── [4.0K]  multicommon
        ├── [1.2G]  multicommon.dat
        ├── [2.7M]  multicommon.fat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_spanish.fat
        ├── [ 72M]  multicommon_vistas.dat
        └── [195K]  multicommon_vistas.fat

This makes the extracted game folder ~11GB.

If instead you run the game now, on first run the game itself will create 3.7GB in Content/0000000000000000/something. Resulting total space used on HDD, ~15GB. But importantly, now the game won't give a disc error and will run. In other words, for some reason the files in installation1 (e.g. worlds/fcc_main/fcc_main.dat) need to exist not inside the installation1 folder but instead at the higher level. I don't know why.

Alternatively, you can modify the extracted game folder as follows (i.e. moving, not copying everything from installation1 to the root folder of the disc, taking care to merge the "worlds" subfolder, which can be tricky on a Mac, then deleting the installation1 folder afterwards), you get:

├── [ 82M]  common.dat
├── [ 53K]  common.fat
├── [1.1M]  default.xex
├── [ 13M]  game.xex
├── [ 23M]  ige.dat
├── [135K]  ige.fat
├── [ 106]  media
├── [2.1M]  nxeart
├── [7.6M]  shadersobj.dat
├── [132K]  shadersobj.fat
├── [1.4G]  sound.dat
├── [105K]  sound.fat
├── [  18]  UplayMedia
│   └── [  21]  theme
└── [  51]  worlds
    ├── [4.0K]  fcc_main
    │   ├── [2.1G]  fcc_main.dat
    │   ├── [4.9M]  fcc_main.fat
    │   ├── [375K]  fcc_main_spanish.fat
    │   ├── [122M]  fcc_main_vistas.dat
    │   └── [328K]  fcc_main_vistas.fat
    └── [4.0K]  multicommon
        ├── [1.2G]  multicommon.dat
        ├── [2.7M]  multicommon.fat
        ├── [296K]  multicommon_spanish.fat
        ├── [ 72M]  multicommon_vistas.dat
        └── [195K]  multicommon_vistas.fat

Total size of extracted game folder, ~6.7GB.

If you run this game instead, on first run it will only create a few kilobytes in Content/0000000000000000 (presumably because of the missing installation1 folder), so total size on HDD is still ~6.7GB. The game will then run fine with no disc error. Clearly this is the optimal result.

Hopefully you'll see that the 3.7GB of files is still there, just in a different place, and not seemingly needlessly copied into Content/0000000000000000.

So that's the manual explanation, and yes, someone could search and find a tutorial for thing. Similarly, users could search for TUs themselves, or disc covers, but isn't it nice that Aurora/Unity does it for them.

What I'm saying is that wouldn't it be wonderful if the user could insert the disc into their console, press a button, and Aurora would extract it for you after looking up the title ID and pulling down the game-specific script to do so. Most games wouldn't need any particular script, but some would. Where possible, scripts could copy Content folders (even deleting the extracted game disc files afterwards as no longer needed), and for multi-disc titles like FF13 which can be combined into one (which is most convenient), a FF13-specific script could do that too. The beauty would be that the general user wouldn't even have to know which games need special treatment and which don't, and it would "just work".

By the way, Far Cry 4 doesn't work after doing iso2god either, at least when using the original disc layout (gives same disc read error after creating the content folder). Again, I don't know why. Maybe it might if you extracted the files, made the manipulations, converted back to iso, then iso2god again, I don't know as I haven't tried, but if you're doing that you might as well keep it extracted.

Regarding my use of the word "unzipping", I'm talking about games like the Wolfenstein: The New Order, which creates the content folder "on the fly" when you run the disc by extracting archives or doing other manipulations of files from the disc. The user cannot simply workaround by copying a folder called "Content" into Content/0000000000000000/etc. In fact Far Cry 4 is like that, as you'll have seen.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:20 PM, pelago said:

By the way, Far Cry 4 doesn't work after doing iso2god either, at least when using the original disc layout (gives same disc read error after creating the content folder). Again, I don't know why. Maybe it might if you extracted the files, made the manipulations, converted back to iso, then iso2god again, I don't know as I haven't tried, but if you're doing that you might as well keep it extracted.

Regarding my use of the word "unzipping", I'm talking about games like the Wolfenstein: The New Order, which creates the content folder "on the fly" when you run the disc by extracting archives or doing other manipulations of files from the disc. The user cannot simply workaround by copying a folder called "Content" into Content/0000000000000000/etc. In fact Far Cry 4 is like that, as you'll have seen.

Im going to have to disagree.. i actually have far cry 4 in god format.. works just fine.. i never followed any guide to install it either.. just no padding removal.. so i dont know what the problem is mate.. maybe something else.. but yeah.. have had it on my 360 for a long time, even have AxR trainer.. lol.. ill shoot him a message and ask if he had a problem playing the game.. but i doubt it.. lol

On 8/11/2017 at 5:20 PM, pelago said:

Im going to have to disagree.. i actually have far cry 4 in god format.. works just fine.. i never followed any guide to install it either.. just no padding removal.. so i dont know what the problem is mate.. maybe something else.. but yeah.. have had it on my 360 for a long time, even have AxR trainer.. lol.. ill shoot him a message and ask if he had a problem playing the game.. but i doubt it.. lol

• Thanks 1

AxR got back to me, he had extracted version as well.. when he made trainer, never had a dirty disc message either.. and never moved stuff around so..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pelago said:

Thanks. How strange. Maybe there's more than one version of the disc.

I honestly dont know haha.. there is always more than 1 version of every game lol.. but yeah mate.. dunno what to tell you..