RealModScene
Mohamed Nigm

DNS

hi guys

please advice i play BOPS 2 AND GEARS OF WAR 3 on my rgh using unity system link lately i experienced lags and connection interruptions in bops2 i couldn't join a party and if i joined it disconnects i tried to solve this by watching a youtube video that changes dns from automatic to manual  (primary 8.8.8.8 sec 8.8.8.4) i changed this DNS settings then i normally joined parties without disconnections and i watched an obvious and dramatic changes in connection to games but still there is some lags and delays even in normal dashboard ... sorry for naive question but what is dns? and what is the better settings to play system without  disconnections and lagging?

:hocky::notfair:

do u mean gears of war 3? but why dns settings obviously changes the quality of the connection ? what is dns and what is the proper way to set it?

13 minutes ago, Mohamed Nigm said:

do u mean gears of war 3? but why dns settings obviously changes the quality of the connection ? what is dns and what is the proper way to set it?

If you want to know the answer to your DNS question, the answer can be found here http://bfy.tw/D7Xw. as for the quality of the connection, that would only help for the name resolution of the server, so might cut a half a second or 2 off of connecting to xbox unity, unless your ISP's DNS server is having issues. Most lagging on Link is because System Link was not designed for use outside of a LAN. What Link does is connects Xbox's on a VPN, so they can talk to each other as if they are on the same network. You still have the extra lag that for transmit time to all the other xbox's in the game, that the game is expecting to be on your LAN. Hince PingPatch(Dashlaunch setting) being required for link. On xbox live there are central dedicated servers for both the game and the xbox live service. So your xbox only has to connect to one server, which is not another xbox at someone else's house, where they have a bad connection, or someone on the other side of the world. This fixes these issues.

Long story short, games on link are hit and miss for the lag, as if the person hosting the game has a bad connection everyone in that game will lag also. If someone connected to that game is lagging, the server might slow down the connection for everyone to that of the weakest link, so to say. If the Unity servers are lagging, that would cause issues for everyone connected to link, and this site. So, now that I have explained this, you can see 2 things, The only reason that google's DNS servers might make your connection faster is less hops between DNS servers, or your ISP's dns server is loaded. It doesnt actually change anything as far as transfer speads, just name resolution. The second, is that lag should be expected, due to how these things work, and are hacked together using really cool technology, such as VPN, for people to use, doesnt mean that it will always be perfect due to the design of the underlying libraries from microsoft for system link .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2