RealModScene
Jack Ng Khai Jie

Question about XBLA game files

Whats the purpose of the "default.xex" file for xbla games if i could just launch the game from the content folder? Though I do not fully understand the function of default.xex, I hope someone could explain to me in simple terms. Is the default.xex for xbla there so that it could be burned to a DVD? I tried to launch The Walking Dead Season 1 from default.xex but it just hung up with a black screen, but when i launch from the content folder, its flawless. So is the default.xex useless for xbla games?

The Xbox 360 Kernel looks for a file named "Default.xex" for every game, this is what it then executes, with XBLA on DVD's you have the XBLA package and a launcher (the default.xex you mentioned), this launcher don't work anywhere other then from a DVD, when you extract a DVD with XBLA games you usually find a "Content" folder, this is the actual game, structured the same as it should be on the HDD

SO meaning the default.xex is useless if it is on the hard drive and not on dvd? That might explain why i cant launch the default.xex of the walking dead. Should I delete the default.xex? Would its absence affect anything, like title updates?

20 hours ago, Jack Ng Khai Jie said:

SO meaning the default.xex is useless if it is on the hard drive and not on dvd? That might explain why i cant launch the default.xex of the walking dead. Should I delete the default.xex? Would its absence affect anything, like title updates?

Yes, and no, it would make no difference for TU's... the TU's are applied to the default.xex inside of the XBLA package ;)

6 hours ago, Swizzy said:

Yes, and no, it would make no difference for TU's... the TU's are applied to the default.xex inside of the XBLA package ;)

Lets say in the future I were to burn the contents of the xbla to dvd. Would I need the original default.xex or the one in the xbla for it to work from dvd?

16 hours ago, Jack Ng Khai Jie said:

Lets say in the future I were to burn the contents of the xbla to dvd. Would I need the original default.xex or the one in the xbla for it to work from dvd?

You would need the original ISO if you'd be planning on using it with iXtreme (flashed DVDDrive) otherwise you'd need the launcher XEX  (the one that's useless for you right now)