RealModScene
gjf

How to install games from network share?

Hi all.

OK, because of recent changes I was brutally pushed to start using Aurora. Hope some time later I will become a happy user, but not now.

Anyway could somebody help me in my main problem? I have a game repository at HDD connected to my router. Luckily, it is Asus, so I can share it both as samba share and through ftp. 

In Fsd I simply connected to smb: resource in explorer and copied games in Hdd1/Content/000000000000 to install them. 

Any suggestions how to do it in Aurora? Connectx works, but copying is slow and unstable compared with Fsd, although the developers do not support it. Maybe the developers will recommend some built-in feature in Aurora, ftp browser for instance (if samba browser is not a priority feature)?

in settings, under modules, u can find ftp server, im sure its possible to play games stored on your home network, not quite sure how though.

sometimes when im in file browser I see only 2 directories, usually when inserting a usb or something, it says xbox360 and network, but i dont know how to get there, its just a fluke when it happens

That ftp server allows to connect to Xbox, not from Xbox, feel the difference.

I don't need to play games on shares, I want to copy (install) them from shares to Xbox.

but if your actually installing the games from your network im not sure what you mean. what kind of games? if its 360, they need to be extracted first, or in god format and then you can simply move the game to your 360 using ftp, xbox 360 content manager or one of the other programs. I just use 360mpgui, extract the game directly onto my external hdd or usb then copy to internal or external hdd. or i use godspeed to transfer files using ftp. that program might make god format. havent messed with it much. i dont see any options for playing games stored on your "router hd", and not sure if it would play fast enough to stream like that.

4 hours ago, gjf said:

That ftp server allows to connect to Xbox, not from Xbox, feel the difference.

I don't need to play games on shares, I want to copy (install) them from shares to Xbox.

oh wait your games are on another 360 hd? so you just want to copy from hd to hd, then use an ftp program...

godspeed or 360 content manager on pc, but you want to do this from the xbox360 right, i see now

Games are in god format. 

To copy them using ftp I need:

1. Turn on PC.

2. Copy files from router to PC.

3. Copy files from PC to Xbox via ftp.

Why I cannot simply copy files from router to Xbox directly using explorer? I could do it in Fsd without problems. I don't want to use PC at all and I don't want to use external hdd or usb when I have some kind of NAS in my network.

overall though, aurora is way better than fsd, im sure youll love it once you get it set up and customized. dont get me wrong fsd was great but aruroa is an upgrade not a competitor

4 hours ago, gjf said:

Games are in god format. 

To copy them using ftp I need:

1. Turn on PC.

2. Copy files from router to PC.

3. Copy files from PC to Xbox via ftp.

Why I cannot simply copy files from router to Xbox directly using explorer? I could do it in Fsd without problems. I don't want to use PC at all!

makes sense. you should be able to view the "router hd" with the ftp program right. trust me I know the headaches but in the end its worth it. I spend hours doing little things every once in a while to make the 360 better. always updates etc

• Like 1

Great, my simple task cannot be solved in this excellent Aurora, but anyway it's a way better. Thank you.

Just a simple question: does Aurora allow to view shares - doesn't matter samba or ftp, doesn't matter in built-in explorer or additional application/addon?

1 minute ago, gjf said:

Great, my simple task cannot be solved in this excellent Aurora, but anyway it's a way better. Thank you.

okay so if your going to complain just use fsd. its possible to have both on your xbox at the same time, i just broswe over to fsd start it up and boom. now that i think of it i think i did have a problem connecting to ftp in aurora and had to use fsd to copy something.

anyways i did a quick google search for your problem and this was the first thing that popped up.

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5234-connectx-and-aurora-how-to/

Please read the first post in this thread and you will understand why I cannot use FSD and why connectx is not a solution. 

Im also a fan of using less possible amount of devices to solve a problem. An SMB Client is as far as i know in the works. Till then i guess you won't get along with copying via FTP with a PC. If you don't get your data directly on to your share, there should not be more work but only copy it via FTP to your share + XBox (or only your XBox). You can't complain with that if you don't need this daily, what anyone assume.

You can also use FSD and Aurora, while FSD provides you the SMB Service, and Aurora all the other needs. I didn't try ConnectX yet tho, there are some updates in that regard in the next release.

Have you looked into WHY connectx is slow and unstable? I use it and it is the same speed and stability as smb was in FSD... I even wrote myself a script that "imports" a game from connectx to my hdd....

As for SMB, the smb dll was not included because there is an issue with link no longer working when using it. Also the one in fsd has a bug when overwriting files, it can cause corruption (it only happens when the new file is smaller than the old file).

@Saywalking, there arent any connectx updates in coming releases. It is loaded by aurora, just like fsd, and that is it. connectx is from microsoft, so no changes there either.

I don't know in the same way that I don't know why it (connectx) cannot display unicode named files and folders on share.

That's why I am surprised the developers did not put any network exploring ability in Aurora. No smb - OK, but maybe some built-in ftp client? Or at least FXP support in built-in ftp server (but for sure the client would be the best). Double copy from router to PC and then from PC to XBOX is the only solution for me now - and maybe you can understand my mood.

Yeah, I can switch between Aurora and Fsd for copying, but guys, is it only me who thinks it's ridiculous to have one old dashboard to add missing features to newer one? 

Yes, maybe more important things are in work for Aurora, but in this case please don't call FSD beta and Aurora - release. 

P.S. Maybe some other connectx version exists that differs from mine? Can you provide a hash sum of working connectx addon file? 

2 hours ago, gjf said:

I don't know in the same way that I don't know why it (connectx) cannot display unicode named files and folders on share.

That's why I am surprised the developers did not put any network exploring ability in Aurora. No smb - OK, but maybe some built-in ftp client? Or at least FXP support in built-in ftp server (but for sure the client would be the best). Double copy from router to PC and then from PC to XBOX is the only solution for me now - and maybe you can understand my mood.

Yeah, I can switch between Aurora and Fsd for copying, but guys, is it only me who thinks it's ridiculous to have one old dashboard to add missing features to newer one? 

Yes, maybe more important things are in work for Aurora, but in this case please don't call FSD beta and Aurora - release. 

P.S. Maybe some other connectx version exists that differs from mine? Can you provide a hash sum of working connectx addon file? 

Nobody claimed Aurora to be "release" or "stable", they're both Beta... whether you like that or not doesn't matter... Aurora is however more stable then FSD ever was

7 hours ago, gjf said:

Well first of all, people need to stop comparing FSD to Aurora... Aurora is not FSD4 it is a new dash, and has nothing to do with fsd anymore.

Second, as Swizzy states, Aurora has been in beta sinds 0.1 and there is no release yet.

Third, there is network exploring in Aurora, it's connectx, and it seems to be working fine for the majority of users (including us developers)

As for the connectx versions, maybe someone can provide you a hash, mine is useless it has some experimental patches that never seemed needed....

If it is:

connectx.xex

CRC32    5B94CC71
MD5    752F7FD096B14F97213036E98D94D0BF
SHA-1    6FBCEEC8196550AD442180FF55FE52B36C8882A2

then I really don't know what is wrong with it.

4 minutes ago, Mattie said:

I use the same version.

Can you please test does it recognize unicode symbols in names of files and folders when installed in Aurora?

I mean Cyrillic letters for instance.

In my case they are shown as ???????

do they show correctly once they are copied over to the xbox? Do you have a sample name? I don't have any files with Cyrillic letters...

1 hour ago, Mattie said:

As for fixing stuff in ConnectX... we can't change that, we can only look if it is the way we read those filenames FROM connectx...

If ConnectX is the same part used in FSD to connect to smb shares - I should notice there was no problem in displaying Unicode named resources as well as copying them. Yes, I remember the whole copying process in FSD has at least one bug, but we are discussing another thing now. So in this way you could fix the error because it is caused the way how Aurora processes the data from ConnectX.

If not - possibly you could not fix it because the problem could be in ConnectX itself. In this case - is it possible to include at least FTP client addon into Aurora? Assume it as a feature request in this case. I am not a technical expert in this case, but there is a LUA-based client. Actually it is based on beta libraries, but possibly it is stable enough to do the job at this stage.

Please let me know if some additional tests are required or you need some more information from my side. I can do it till Friday, then I have to go to trip for a month or so with no access to my Xbox.

From the documentation:

Known Issues of Shell Extension for Xbox 360

1. The Xbox 360 kernel supports ANSI file names only. As a result, any attempt to create, copy, or rename a file or folder with non-ANSI characters generates an error saying the file name is invalid.

2. ....

So we can't fix this. As for smb in fsd, it seems it had a seperate client. When I try it though, it won't access my server and I see no password dialog or anything.

Any chance to see some (smb/ftp) client in future Aurora releases?