RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
KirovAir

Development Environment setup tutorials?

Hi all,

Are there any tutorials out there which explain how to (properly) setup a dev environment for xbox 360 homebrew (with, or without the proprietary SDK)?

With some tips how to quickly build/debug on/to your xbox 360 and which tools to use. (Visual Studio, Dev-Cpp?)

I have quite some programming experience but just getting started with my good old xbox. I know most SDK/tooling is outdated but I'd love to play with it. If someone could enlighten me what a recommended setup to use is that would be awesome. 

Edit: After some searching it seems this setup is recommended:

• Visual Studio 2010
  • Xbox 360 SDK
  • Xbox 360 Neighborhood + xbdm (for fast remote launching?/this will enable breakpoints/debugging?)

Am I in the right here? As soon as I get home I'll try to get it up 'n running.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, KirovAir said:

Hi all,

Are there any tutorials out there which explain how to (properly) setup a dev environment for xbox 360 homebrew (with, or without the proprietary SDK)?

With some tips how to quickly build/debug on/to your xbox 360 and which tools to use. (Visual Studio, Dev-Cpp?)

I have quite some programming experience but just getting started with my good old xbox. I know most SDK/tooling is outdated but I'd love to play with it. If someone could enlighten me what a recommended setup to use is that would be awesome. 

Edit: After some searching it seems this setup is recommended:

• Visual Studio 2010
  • Xbox 360 SDK
  • Xbox 360 Neighborhood + xbdm (for fast remote launching?/this will enable breakpoints/debugging?)

Am I in the right here? As soon as I get home I'll try to get it up 'n running.

Cheers.

tbh, an actual devkit would be best.. but RGLoader will work somewhat lolol.. 

and the "dev environment" is already setup with the SDK, you just need an applicable xbox to work with it.. 

and the 360 neighborhood is within the SDK, xbdm is in rgloader and devkits.. there is a patched one floating about that will somewhat enable features for glitched consoles, but doesnt have all the debugging capabilities RGL and devkits have mate..

The xbdm online for RGH consoles allows Xbox neighborhood, and XBwatson, but breakpoints dont work, as dev builds of apps wont run on a retail kernel, even on an RGH. TX had a modified devkit build called fusion, that was like a mix of a retail and devkit kernel, but they stopped development of it years ago. :( it was pretty cool project, but didnt get the use it could/should have, so they stopped development on it, and went back to the focus of hardware chips. No money in developing fusion either, as they were releasing it for free.

Thanks guys, helpful responses. :)

I got some code running and now let's see how long it takes before I want to buy a Dev kit before being fed up with my retail glitch unit. 

I'm very new to the homebrew side of development, I typically stayed to plugins, I've been looking for tutorials that give a good understanding  of the process, if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate that.