RealModScene
gavin_darkglider

Features As a Community We Would Like To See In The Future Utility Script API/Aurora

This thread is for feedback on Utility Scripts and The API.

Please Dont Post Garbage in this thread. Please only post if you think a feature would be useful, for a script you are working on.

That being said, here are some of my thoughts.

1. Expand the ZipFile Library so you can create and add files to a zip file.

2. Be able to run scripts on startup of aurora.(to auto set things like Fan Speed.....)

3. Be able to add scripts to skin projects, so you can display things like weather and system temps on skins, and possibly change the interface for people who liked the FSD style better.

I think that about covers it for me, I will post back if I have other Ideas.

• Like 8

Another Library that could have some functions added would be filesystem.

Such as:

1. FileSystem.GetPartitionSize(string partition) - for ease of use, I figure using the partitions as they show up in the file manager would be nice.

2.FileSystem.GetPartitionUsedSpace(string partition) - Same as above.

Would also be a nice feature for skin scripts, as you could then display used space statistics on main screen, like in FSD.

And if at all possible an avatar library, so you could design an avatar editor that runs within aurora. I think that would about cover the basic functionality of the xbox. Audio library would be nice, if people wanted to start writing minigames, and so would DX compatibility(Probably a stretch, and wouldnt get used much. lol).

Such as:

1. FileSystem.GetPartitionSize(string partition) - for ease of use, I figure using the partitions as they show up in the file manager would be nice.

Would also be a nice feature for skin scripts, as you could then display used space statistics on main screen, like in FSD.

And if at all possible an avatar library, so you could design an avatar editor that runs within aurora. I think that would about cover the basic functionality of the xbox. Audio library would be nice, if people wanted to start writing minigames, and so would DX compatibility(Probably a stretch, and wouldnt get used much. lol).

The avatar stuff.. absolute waste of time.. imo.. there was a handful of xbla and indie titles that used em in-game.. and besides that.. you only ever see it in the menu.. I'm glad that xb1 has buried that stuff way down and hardly use it anymore hahaha..

Edit: i got an idea.. how about an avatar data installer? A script that will install avatar data from a folder on the hdd.. sort of like rgloader would do it.. so no pc would be needed.. lol

@felida

I think of many installers besides the Disc2GODInstaller (DiscInstaller)

Basic Copy Operations and setting text Files wouldnt be a problem i hope. I also hoped iso2god would find its way to the console itself, but as for now i dont think it will work.

@felida

Basic Copy Operations and setting text Files wouldnt be a problem i hope. I also hoped iso2god would find its way to the console itself, but as for now i dont think it will work.

Iso2god, probably not.. what you mean is extracted games to GoD format.. lol as no one has a straight up iso format on their hdd, besides those with xk3y crap..

The avatar stuff.. absolute waste of time.. imo.. there was a handful of xbla and indie titles that used em in-game.. and besides that.. you only ever see it in the menu.. I'm glad that xb1 has buried that stuff way down and hardly use it anymore hahaha..

Edit: i got an idea.. how about an avatar data installer? A script that will install avatar data from a folder on the hdd.. sort of like rgloader would do it.. so no pc would be needed.. lol

@felida

Iso2god, probably not.. what you mean is extracted games to GoD format.. lol as no one has a straight up iso format on their hdd, besides those with xk3y crap..

This is not  what this thread was created for. I didnt start this thread so people could argue over what is/is not useful. The avatar stuff might not be useful for much, but some people care about that stuff, and it would be nice to be able to change these things directly in aurora, instead of having to go back to NXE to do so.

@felida

Iso can't be done, there is no NTFS support, hell, there isn't even any filesystem that has support for big files available... (besides ConnectX which probably won't work either)

This is not what this thread was created for. I didnt start this thread so people could argue over what is/is not useful. The avatar stuff might not be useful for much, but some people care about that stuff, and it would be nice to be able to change these things directly in aurora, instead of having to go back to NXE to do so.

It would also be a VERY big thing to work out for a handful of people to use... we're highly unlikely to implement avatar stuff...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Fair enough on the avatar stuff, I know I saw a homebrew app for this at one point in time, but it was useless, as you can do it all from NXE. I was just trying to come up with ideas to make it so you would never have to use NXE for anything. Figured it was worth a shot.

3. Be able to add scripts to skin projects, so you can display things like weather and system temps on skins, and possibly change the interface for people who liked the FSD style better.

i will really love this :D i to beable to create a skin to look like nxe dashboard 

i will really love this :D i to beable to create a skin to look like nxe dashboard 

You could do that also. :) Or go completly crazy, and make it look like XBMC. lol.

• Like 1

Fair enough on the avatar stuff, I know I saw a homebrew app for this at one point in time, but it was useless, as you can do it all from NXE. I was just trying to come up with ideas to make it so you would never have to use NXE for anything. Figured it was worth a shot.

I know what you're talking about, as it was basically the nxe stuff pulled into a homebrew app..

As for it looking like xbmc, very well could.. but not with aurora as is..

You can have a whole scene setup like it tho, and just press r-thumbstick in to call it.. then have B button back you to the games/aurora menu..

Add this:

1.) CPU, RAM, GPU, Network Bandwidth, Disk Usage Info

2.) Autostart/call Scripts on Boot or every "N" times or at every "N" Time, like every reboot/restart

3.) Background Scripts

If we have Background Scripts, we can look for making a Task Manager, i want to look, how much Aurora, its Scripts and Modules/Plugins are using when they are used

4.) Instead of letting us code a "check" for Aurora Version compatibility with if clauses, we could have something like

scriptCompatibility = { "0.5, 0.6, 0.7" }, and the Scipt interpreter automatically shows a message, if one Script won't work or is not downloadable.

5.) ShowMessageBox should have definable height and width or at least option for Scrollbars to display larger Content.

1.) Fairly useless, as scripts only run in aurora.

2.) Already mentioned.

3.) This would fall under theme scripts.

4.) Scripts written now will be compatible across all versions of aurora, but even then, you can already do this.

5.) If you want something more, use the gizmo library for that.

• Like 1

It's possible to make a function to show a passcode dialog and return the password given?

Like ShowKeyboard that returns in Buffer the entry, but the actual function Passcode is for introduce Aurora's setted passcode.

It's possible to make a function to show a passcode dialog and return the password given?

Like ShowKeyboard that returns in Buffer the entry, but the actual function Passcode is for introduce Aurora's setted passcode.

It's possible yes, but... what use do you have?

You can use the keyboard for passwords aswell, it can be told to show * as input rather then the actual password if needed...

Sent from my SM-G903F

It's possible yes, but... what use do you have?

You can use the keyboard for passwords aswell, it can be told to show * as input rather then the actual password if needed...

Sent from my SM-G903F

It can be useful for many things, such like setting a password for a certain script or to a web service that requires a pincode, it's way much prettier than a keyboard input where you can put any character with no limitation

It can be useful for many things, such like setting a password for a certain script or to a web service that requires a pincode, it's way much prettier than a keyboard input where you can put any character with no limitation

You can limit the keyboard by flags, i don't think we have them listed anywhere tho, i'll see if i can get you a list of flags to give the keyboard, they should be in the XDK documentation tho (we just pass them along to the function as-is)

These are:

KeyboardFlag = enum {
  Default = 0,
  Full = 1,
  Email = 2,
  Gamertag = 4,
  Phone = 8,
  IPAddress = 16,
  Numeric = 32,
  Alphabet = 64,
  Password = 128,
  Subscription = 256,
  FocusDone = 268435456,
  Highlight = 536870912
}

But you can't combine like KeyboardFlag.Password + KeyboardFlag.Numeric because it only shows a normal keyboard.

These are:

KeyboardFlag = enum {

Default = 0,

Full = 1,

Email = 2,

Gamertag = 4,

Phone = 8,

IPAddress = 16,

Numeric = 32,

Alphabet = 64,

Password = 128,

Subscription = 256,

FocusDone = 268435456,

Highlight = 536870912

}

But you can't combine like KeyboardFlag.Password + KeyboardFlag.Numeric because it only shows a normal keyboard.

They should be possible to combine, just not using +, use binary or (that's the correct way of using bitfield flags)

There may be some restrictions of which combinations are supported/not supported, these would be in the XDK documentation :)

Sent from my SM-G903F

This thread is for feedback on Utility Scripts and The API.

Please Dont Post Garbage in this thread. Please only post if you think a feature would be useful, for a script you are working on.

That being said, here are some of my thoughts.

1. Expand the ZipFile Library so you can create and add files to a zip file.

2. Be able to run scripts on startup of aurora.(to auto set things like Fan Speed.....)

I think that about covers it for me, I will post back if I have other Ideas.

1.  Noted

2.  You can already do that.  However, it is not tied to Utility Scripts.   There is a file somewhere in the media folder (can't remember where) that is called main.lua.   That file gets executed at boot.   MAYBE ( and I have not tested this ), you can use your Utility Script to modify that file..... and in your modified main.lua, its self deleting.... who knows.   Currently there are no plans to extend Utility Scripts beyond just the utility scripts menu.

3.  Current, no plans to extend scripts in this way.   Utility Scripts are utilities, they are meant to run in a self contained process that will eventually end.  If we do something like "skin scripts" or "boot scripts" or w/e, it will be in a different form.  The reasoning behind that is that XUI is a massive library, and the custom LUA tools to do modifications that you are suggesting are a lot more involved that what we have right now in Utility Scripts.

Such as:

1.  Noted

2.  Noted

Skin Scripts:  Nope, not happening in its current form.

Avatar Library:  Maybe.  Never will be an editor, but maybe a library that allows you to view Player1s avatar.  We'll see.

D3D Support:  Nope

Audio Library:  I tried so hard to port over a mp3 library to Xbox360 and play it on the Xbox360, and I had to put it on the back burner.   If anyone has a mp3 library they can get running on xbox360, I will incorporate it into an mp3 library for LUA.  I'd love to see a music list and player (even if its limited to only playing while the script is running).  As for other sounds.  I think that will be limited to what is possible in XUITool.

Add this:

1.) CPU, RAM, GPU, Network Bandwidth, Disk Usage Info

2.) Autostart/call Scripts on Boot or every "N" times or at every "N" Time, like every reboot/restart

3.) Background Scripts

If we have Background Scripts, we can look for making a Task Manager, i want to look, how much Aurora, its Scripts and Modules/Plugins are using when they are used

4.) Instead of letting us code a "check" for Aurora Version compatibility with if clauses, we could have something like

scriptCompatibility = { "0.5, 0.6, 0.7" }, and the Scipt interpreter automatically shows a message, if one Script won't work or is not downloadable.

5.) ShowMessageBox should have definable height and width or at least option for Scrollbars to display larger Content.

1.  I can look into some of those, but if it's not an exposed piece of API from the XDK, i probably won't dig any deeper for it.  Some of this stuff is already implemented.

2.  Something like this is possible, see posts above.

3.  Responded to this, see above (re:  Skin Scripts)

4.  We're adding a mininumAuroraVerison variable that will start in 0.7b+  that will enable users to define the minimum version of Aurora necessary for your script to run (due to new or updated APIs).    My design goal is to not modify or remove old APIs so original scripts will always work.   We'll see how that pans out.

5.  MessageBox is part of the active Skin.  It won't be resizable unless you create a skin that has a larger message box.  Also, no scroll bars.  Use a Gizmo Scene if you need more space.

I'll look into this option in future releases and see if there is a way I can implement it that doesn't break the existing functionality.

Audio Library:  I tried so hard to port over a mp3 library to Xbox360 and play it on the Xbox360, and I had to put it on the back burner.   If anyone has a mp3 library they can get running on xbox360, I will incorporate it into an mp3 library for LUA.  I'd love to see a music list and player (even if its limited to only playing while the script is running).  As for other sounds.  I think that will be limited to what is possible in XUITool.

Have you looked at the FFMpeg library that was ported to the Xbox 360, it was made for videos, but since most videos have aac/mp3/wma based audio encoding, it might be possible to pull audio encoding libraries from it. Or just add the whole thing, then we could make an awesome video player...... Well at least one that will play more than the one that is built in.

1. Noted

2. Noted

Skin Scripts: Nope, not happening in its current form.

Avatar Library: Maybe. Never will be an editor, but maybe a library that allows you to view Player1s avatar. We'll see.

D3D Support: Nope

Audio Library: I tried so hard to port over a mp3 library to Xbox360 and play it on the Xbox360, and I had to put it on the back burner. If anyone has a mp3 library they can get running on xbox360, I will incorporate it into an mp3 library for LUA. I'd love to see a music list and player (even if its limited to only playing while the script is running). As for other sounds. I think that will be limited to what is possible in XUITool.

Have you not seen my skins? Audio can very well be added to the skin, albeit not mp3 format.. but .wav and .xma can.. .wav being more accesible to everyone.. even made a tut for converting to xma..

But yeah, here is a peek at what i have been working on in spare time..

I would love to make it more "cleaner" but the qv filter button would have to be re-mapped from the shoulder presses.. which i was told will never happen..

EDIT: ok, even the sdk has a sample for music player, XMPBackgroundMusic

and that uses .wma as the format in the sample.. and audacity is a free program to convert the music to wma or wav.. maybe that should be incorporated into aurora? instead of going the lua route?

EDIT 2: SNES360 has a mp3 library in it.. maybe look at the source and implement that, and still have aurora use it, so it is a whole system thing, and just doesn't cut out when you back out of the lua script