RealModScene
dimonik

Disconnect in System Link Games

Hi! The past few days to play normally impossible! Disconnects continually for every 5 minutes.
Region - Europe. Disconnects not only for me but also for all who play with. The settings are not changed. This is the case for about a week.. What is it?

• Like 3

Hi! The past few days to play normally impossible! Disconnects continually for every 5 minutes.

Region - Europe. Disconnects not only for me but also for all who play with. The settings are not changed. This is the case for about a week.. What is it?

Same here,I've getting the disconnections too ,everyone in the lobby get disconnected from the match every few minutes.It's been happening for three days now.

Are you guys alive? xboxunity.net work stable with ~250 players.. I've never seen 300+ at the same time and for a long time..

~250.. 260.. 280.. 300.. 240.. ~250.. 280.. 290.. ~250..

Many players are disconect =(

What can we do to help everyone on the server to play? Is it a matter of server power or software limitations?

All the server does is facilitate a VPN connection between consoles. The disconnects usually have to do with being to far away from the console that is serving the game you are connecting to. System link was never designed to leave a home network, so the timing sync in most games wasnt really a priority, which will cause disconnects if you are on the other side of the world from someone who is hosting the game you are trying to connect to. Since there is only one server for unity, people who are closer to the server are going to have better luck, as there will be fewer network hops between consoles. There isnt much we can do about this, as we host this service to people free of charge, and unlike xbox live, do not have server farms all around the world, so different regions can connect to closer servers. We also only have one server potentially hosting upto 500 users or more at a time. Eventually with LinkV2 we plan to tackle some of these issues, but that may be a while, or might never happen. Nova is just now about to be released, and it is a lot less then was originally teased 3+ years ago. The team is down to 1 main coder for all of this stuff, who has a day job and a family to contend with as well. There are designers, and server managers, but they also have day jobs and families. We do what we can when we can, and are sorry for the delays, but this is a hobby for us, and it isnt our highest concern if it works perfect for you 100% of the time, even though that is the preferred outcome. For the most part, we do this for free, so you cant complain much. Our service doesnt charge you to play like the stealth servers, and doesnt get your keyvault banned. It might not be 100% but it is still better than nothing. If you have issues, try starting a private room, and playing with local people to you. That is your best bet.

3 minutes ago, gavin_darkglider said:

All the server does is facilitate a VPN connection between consoles. The disconnects usually have to do with being to far away from the console that is serving the game you are connecting to. System link was never designed to leave a home network, so the timing sync in most games wasnt really a priority, which will cause disconnects if you are on the other side of the world from someone who is hosting the game you are trying to connect to. Since there is only one server for unity, people who are closer to the server are going to have better luck, as there will be fewer network hops between consoles. There isnt much we can do about this, as we host this service to people free of charge, and unlike xbox live, do not have server farms all around the world, so different regions can connect to closer servers. We also only have one server potentially hosting upto 500 users or more at a time. Eventually with LinkV2 we plan to tackle some of these issues, but that may be a while, or might never happen. Nova is just now about to be released, and it is a lot less then was originally teased 3+ years ago. The team is down to 1 main coder for all of this stuff, who has a day job and a family to contend with as well. There are designers, and server managers, but they also have day jobs and families. We do what we can when we can, and are sorry for the delays, but this is a hobby for us, and it isnt our highest concern if it works perfect for you 100% of the time, even though that is the preferred outcome. For the most part, we do this for free, so you cant complain much. Our service doesnt charge you to play like the stealth servers, and doesnt get your keyvault banned. It might not be 100% but it is still better than nothing. If you have issues, try starting a private room, and playing with local people to you. That is your best bet.

thx for ansver. I do not complain, I want to understand the problem and help to solve it. For example, if the problem in the server output power would be a charitable contribution to rent more powerful.. ?

10 hours ago, dimonik said:

thx for ansver. I do not complain, I want to understand the problem and help to solve it. For example, if the problem in the server output power would be a charitable contribution to rent more powerful.. ?

TBH most damn disconnect issues are due to people using slow internet, WiFi when the 360 is drastically capped at speeds already.. I use wired connection, have fast speeds, and every time I host a game to prove to people it is the host causing problems, I prove their theories wrong.. it's not team Phoenix link server, it is the end users..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, felida said:

TBH most damn disconnect issues are due to people using slow internet, WiFi when the 360 is drastically capped at speeds already.. I use wired connection, have fast speeds, and every time I host a game to prove to people it is the host causing problems, I prove their theories wrong.. it's not team Phoenix link server, it is the end users..

I'm not complaining. I just want to figure it out!

for example, today. the Colombians have ping ~ 30, Russians ~ 130. 34 Users on LiNK right now (in morning).

under these conditions works well.

today in evening we will try to play (my time is 9.30 AM now) will be like in the photo (ping to xboxunity.net)

ping 130 - ok, timed out request - disconnect. 300+ Users on LiNK will be.

but at same time ping to google.com is stable.

testing with the same person who is near.

we played DiRT 2 yesterday with russian, ukarainian, columbian and  had not disconnects.. but on server played 300+ players..

We just were not lucky because we're far from the server that's in Canada? or on different days the server is loaded one time...

or we have an internet channel loaded in the evening, but ping to google.com and speed is as good..

I want to learn to understand in advance whether it will be possible to play or will be disconnected, so as not to collect people and not have nerves instead of a good game..

often i host the game and every time i test speed and ping before start. if i have "timed out request" to xboxunity - i can`t create a good host, yes?

I apologize for the flow of thoughts =)

IMG20171209185225.jpg

it is simple..... If you have to make 10 hops to get to the VPN server, then it is going to take more time then if you only take 3. On top of that the more people connected to the server, the longer it takes the server to respond to each person making a request. If you dont understand this, google how DDOS attacks work. It is the same basic idea. On top of that, if the person that is connecting to your game is also 10 hops from the server, then you get 20 hops between xboxes, so you can double the ping rate from xbox to xbox, and then you figure in the server lag due to so many users. So yes, all of these things can slow it down a bit. Now, here is what you are missing. How much does it cost to host a server that runs in the cloud 24/7, 365 days a year? Using amazon e2 services with the cheapest dedicated server the price is $2.42 an hour = $58.08 a day = $21,199.20 a year. So that means that Team Phoenix is potentially spending close to $30,000 a year on 1 server to keep you online with a free service, and to keep this forum up and running. Now, some of this is offset by ads on xbox unity, and on this forum, and by user donations, but most people dont donate, or if they do, dont continue to donate after they made a donation. On top of that, the current iteration of link wasnt designed to connect to multiple servers, so that is another issue, even if price wasnt an issue. Yet, you cant seem to understand why there is a lag during extreme usage scenarios, such as 300+ users on xboxunity, and however many people browsing this forum at any given moment! Maybe when link V2 comes out, there can be more servers implemented, if users choose to host them, like people host tor nodes, which might keep the service around, long after Team Phoenix is gone, but who knows. Link V2 is still a bit of a pipe dream, that is far from ready for public testing.