RealModScene
CanestanD

R-Jtag + 3 red lights when dvd is connected?

I have my xbox in it's metal case with dvd drive connected and now I'm faced with 3 red rings? But it's ok without the drive connected, I'm sure the drive was ok when out of the metal case though. Has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks.

• Like 1

I have my xbox in it's metal case with dvd drive connected and now I'm faced with 3 red rings? But it's ok without the drive connected, I'm sure the drive was ok when out of the metal case though. Has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks.

Does it happen with all dvd drives? If yes, probably the laser lens for the dvd is covered in dust.
  • Like 1

Potentially you put the power cable in the wrong way, or the drive isn't good (like, a spoofed drive may cause issues)

Does it happen with all dvd drives? If yes, probably the laser lens for the dvd is covered in dust.

The lens has nothing to do with RROD, all that happens if the laser lens gets covered in dust is it stops reading discs...

Ok thanks will have a look, it seems like one thing after another with this thing. Although just been using aurora and it worked brill so all this messing has been worth it.

when you see 3 Red leds, you can usually get a indicator as to what exactly the problem is by checking the secondary RROD code, without that, it's alot more guessing as to what the problem is... certain errors are known to happen due to specific reasons, this helps out alot when trying to narrow down the culprit further then the DVD drive for instance

Thanks I swapped the dvd power lead round and it's back on! getting closer to a working r-jtag+ now, just going through all the dips now (again)...sigh!

Thanks I swapped the dvd power lead round and it's back on! getting closer to a working r-jtag+ now, just going through all the dips now (again)...sigh!

Chances are if this was the problem, you burned up the PCB on the drive. :(

Yes I smelt slight burning, will this mean it won't read discs? It still ejects but I can't get the console on yet to test.

Yes I smelt slight burning, will this mean it won't read discs? It still ejects but I can't get the console on yet to test.

Probably, hard to tell really... putting the power the wrong way around can burn all kinds of components, there was a guy asking why his dvd didn't work anymore when it had a huge black hole in the pcb, and had seen smoke coming out of the dvd (after putting the cable in the wrong way)

Your best bet is to replace the dvd, at the very least the pcb of it, you can find your dvdkey in the keyvault (and can thus make a firmware that works)

What model of drive do you have?

Sent from my SM-G903F

Not sure what drive model, I'll have a look shortly. I might take the motherboard back out of the case, unplug the DVD drive and try a dip combination that I know worked. Just to make plugging the drive in wrong hasn't damaged anything else.

I can't get the console to boot at all now, even with the mobo taken out of the shell and previous working dips :wallbash: I'm just writing the stock nand back to see if I can get it working stock. Do I unsolder just the red wire or do I do the green one aswell? Thanks.

I can't get the console to boot at all now, even with the mobo taken out of the shell and previous working dips :wallbash: I'm just writing the stock nand back to see if I can get it working stock. Do I unsolder just the red wire or do I do the green one aswell? Thanks.

just remove the post_out, leave the red (5v) as the chip may try to pull power from other sources otherwise which may result in fried circuits

Thanks, console boots stock ok. Is it possible that the cr4 took damage? (also just tried dvd drive and that seems to work ok, got dmc 5 running at the min)

Thanks, console boots stock ok. Is it possible that the cr4 took damage? (also just tried dvd drive and that seems to work ok, got dmc 5 running at the min)

It's possible yes, but unlikely

Sent from my SM-G903F

Hmm, I can't understand what's changed then? I'll check my wirings still ok then I'll have to start back on the dips, all possible combinations. It's gonna take ages!