RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
unfunedio

Edit Aurora skin vs Creating skin

Hello. I am new to the site and I read through some posts to get and idea of how I can try to figure out "skin editing" for aurora before asking. I don't want to create my own skin but want to edit one that is already made(if possible) I read this through one of the posts here:

You need xzptool from this site to extract the base skin..
Then you need to edit this extracted skin to your liking and in order to do that you need to have XDK which you can find on www.google.com
Then when you have finished editing the skin you need to repack/rebuild the skin using xzptool.

Then in between many other softwares may be used depending upon your editing requirements ...

I found the XZPTOOL and I see it kind of works like winrar, and I also found where skins are stored in Aurora or how to DL a skin, but as for the XDK, I googled it(believe it is also called SDK and neighborhood) but how exactly do I use XDK/SDK/neighborhood? I tried to google the "how to" but i'm not getting much luck on this. I normally try searching first before asking but this project doesn't seem to be girl friendly :no I found a TUT video on XDK/SDK/neighborhood and it looks like it just gives me access to the system HDD which can also be done through the Aurora system menu. I also was looking at the video TUT by the user "felida" from this site and that user is using "XBOX UI Tool" is this another tool I would need to seek and destroy find? I am good/ok with photo shop, would that work as well? Please let me know if I'm on the right track with the research or am I misunderstanding it?

First thing if you have no experience in doing this stuff then you should probably start editing the default aurora skin(default.xzp) rather than trying trying to create your own from scratch... Yes editing a readymade skin is possible.. And i believe i posted that not exactly sure..

Yes xzptool is like an extracting tool like winrar/7 zip etc

Well i was in the same sitiuation as yours and it took me a while to figure out that xdk/sdk isnt a application on its own(still not sure) but what i found out that it let me view files with special extensions.. (.xur,.xui files I believe)(still not sure about this)

Xbox ui tool is a part of the sdk i believe ... Photoshop will be required for other things but you CANT edit the skin with it

I was also interested in making my own skin but i knew NOTHING same as you ... But now it's different..

I created several different topics go through them it will help ya A LOT.. As some guys taught me the basics..

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/6815-anything/

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/7093-editing-aurora-loading/#entry60758

^^Here are the topics I've created about skin questions.. You should read all of it that will help you

And also dont forget checking each and everyone of Felida's tutorial very carefully.. Also make sure while seeing his tuts the computer screen is right front of you(the xdk screen) otherwise you wont understand anything... Atleast thats what happened to me lol :p

Hello. I am new to the site and I read through some posts to get and idea of how I can try to figure out "skin editing" for aurora before asking. I don't want to create my own skin but want to edit one that is already made(if possible) I read this through one of the posts here:

You need xzptool from this site to extract the base skin..

Then you need to edit this extracted skin to your liking and in order to do that you need to have XDK which you can find on www.google.com

Then when you have finished editing the skin you need to repack/rebuild the skin using xzptool.

Then in between many other softwares may be used depending upon your editing requirements ...

I found the XZPTOOL and I see it kind of works like winrar, and I also found where skins are stored in Aurora or how to DL a skin, but as for the XDK, I googled it(believe it is also called SDK and neighborhood) but how exactly do I use XDK/SDK/neighborhood? I tried to google the "how to" but i'm not getting much luck on this. I normally try searching first before asking but this project doesn't seem to be girl friendly :no I found a TUT video on XDK/SDK/neighborhood and it looks like it just gives me access to the system HDD which can also be done through the Aurora system menu. I also was looking at the video TUT by the user "felida" from this site and that user is using "XBOX UI Tool" is this another tool I would need to seek and destroy find? I am good/ok with photo shop, would that work as well? Please let me know if I'm on the right track with the research or am I misunderstanding it?

First thing if you have no experience in doing this stuff then you should probably start editing the default aurora skin(default.xzp) rather than trying trying to create your own from scratch... Yes editing a readymade skin is possible.. And i believe i posted that not exactly sure..

Yes xzptool is like an extracting tool like winrar/7 zip etc

Well i was in the same sitiuation as yours and it took me a while to figure out that xdk/sdk isnt a application on its own(still not sure) but what i found out that it let me view files with special extensions.. (.xur,.xui files I believe)(still not sure about this)

Xbox ui tool is a part of the sdk i believe ... Photoshop will be required for other things but you CANT edit the skin with it

I was also interested in making my own skin but i knew NOTHING same as you I believe... But now it's different..

I created several different topics go through them it will help ya A LOT.. As some guys almost taught me the basics..

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/6815-anything/

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/7093-editing-aurora-loading/#entry60758

^^Here are the topics I've created about skin questions.. You should read all of it that will help you

And also dont forget checking each and everyone of Felida's tutorial very carefully.. Also make sure while seeing his tuts the computer screen is right front of you(the xdk screen) otherwise you wont understand anything... Atleast thats what happened to me lol :p

1. XUI TOOL (xbox user interface tool) is apart of the SDK(also called xdk), so is neighborhood, xma2encode, ect 

2. NEVER EVER try to make a skin from scratch.. lmao... there is certain things programmed in there, and you will end up just wasting time trying to "recreate" stuff and get no where.. lol

3. ALWAYS start with the default ( or other skins ) to do your work

4. honestly, photoshop would only be needed to make images, IF, you want to create instead of modify whats there already

5. if you need help, i am more than willing to help lol.. i just wont give you the stuff needed ;-p nor spoon feed you

EDIT: and my video's DO help show the simplest of basics.. but  yeah not EVERYTHING is in them.. would have to answer on a per question basis lol..

edit 2: and XZPTOOL isn't needed if you are using the SDK, as it has the functions to unpack/repack the skin.. it's more for people who just want to make minor adjustments, like changing an image or song..

• Like 2