RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Relentless

Got my System Link working again!

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience in getting my system link working again.

The problem I had was not being able to connect to other people's game even though I had a pass on all the settings (excluding upnp - my router doesn't have upnp but that's okay, you can still play without it)

The culprit was my DNS settings on my router.  I USED to have google as my primary: 8.8.8.8 and Secondary: 8.8.4.4 but then one day I came across a post from someone who was on the same isp as myself that provided an alternate DNS address claiming it was faster and more reliable so I gave it a shot.  Months passed by and I forgot about this change I made, my WIFI printer stopped working and I wasn't able to connect to other peoples games in system link.  Anyway, long story short, I reverted back to using google DNS and everything is working again.  

Hope this helps someone out there.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this.. Will definitely help some one.. Cause a lot of people have issues setting up link.. Might be useful to mention your isp as well.

• Like 1

My isp is with Acanac and I'm using an old Bell DSL router/modem combo model 2701HG jail broken with Qwest Firmware.  These router/modems are notorious for having bad power supplies.  You'll know your power supply is faulty if you experience power light flashing and not being able to obtain an ip address.  if you're handy with soldering and such you can replace the faulty default capacitor the adaptors are fitted with.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience in getting my system link working again.

The problem I had was not being able to connect to other people's game even though I had a pass on all the settings (excluding upnp - my router doesn't have upnp but that's okay, you can still play without it)

The culprit was my DNS settings on my router.  I USED to have google as my primary: 8.8.8.8 and Secondary: 8.8.4.4 but then one day I came across a post from someone who was on the same isp as myself that provided an alternate DNS address claiming it was faster and more reliable so I gave it a shot.  Months passed by and I forgot about this change I made, my WIFI printer stopped working and I wasn't able to connect to other peoples games in system link.  Anyway, long story short, I reverted back to using google DNS and everything is working again.  

Hope this helps someone out there.

your DNS should ALWAYS be what your IP provides mate.. not always the "best" solution to change it.. 

you should have your router set to DNS relay, so it handles the passoff..

basically without it settings would be this:

IP: 192.168.0.XXX

SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 75.75.75.75. <- comcast DNS (this will change from isp to isp)

with settings enabled:

IP: 192.168.0.XXX

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 192.168.0.1

changing your DNS causes stuff to be ran from your ISP to google and back to your ISP... which causes more "workload" depending on your location/ect.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167239/7-reasons-to-use-a-third-party-dns-service/

i suggest you try out the DNS benchmark and check to see if your DNS connection to google is the best option..

and from google themselves:

In which countries is Google Public DNS available?

It is available to Internet users around the world, though your experience may vary greatly based on your specific location.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Felida, 

I vaguely remember though in the past (a long time ago) one of the reps from my isp advised for me to use google DNS and I think it might've had to do something with my particular modem/router.  I'll see if I can find an updated DNS for my isp Acanac and try it out but so far I haven't been able to find anything.  I might have to give them a ring!

It appears this is the only thing I found for anyone also with Acanac:  https://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27726

Acanac DSL DNS Servers

And these were the addresses that did NOT work for me until reverting back to google DNS.  I'll follow up with them to see if there are any new ip's since last year.  Hopefully, they'll have something - if not, then I'll be sticking with google.

Edited by Fucius
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip Felida, 

I vaguely remember though in the past (a long time ago) one of the reps from my isp advised for me to use google DNS and I think it might've had to do something with my particular modem/router.  I'll see if I can find an updated DNS for my isp Acanac and try it out but so far I haven't been able to find anything.  I might have to give them a ring!

It appears this is the only thing I found for anyone also with Acanac:  https://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27726

Acanac DSL DNS Servers

And these were the addresses that did NOT work for me until reverting back to google DNS.  I'll follow up with them to see if there are any new ip's since last year.  Hopefully, they'll have something - if not, then I'll be sticking with google.

if you would like, i can help you in TeamViewer.. while explaining.. but that would be up to you mate.. just shoot me a PM if you would like more.. and using "forum" DNS stuff.. isn't recommended.. as it could be outdated or just plain wrong.. you can find out ALL the info you need from your router/modem.. you just need to know where to look.. and FYI.. DNS will be set automatically from within the modem.. unless you manually overwritten it.. but these changes can be undone if you get a paperclip or something similar, and press the "RESET" button on the back.. this reverts it back to "STOCK" settings

EDIT: and since you are using DSL, i'm pretty sure you have a modem and then a 3rd party router, am i correct??

EDIT 2: if your case is you have the modem, and THEN a router.. forwarding ports CAN be a problem.. i hated my DSL.. then i swapped to cable, got an all-in-one modem from my ISP, then got even more of a hook up, when they up'd the speeds from 50MB/s max to 300MB/s max.. but i digress.. you will probably need to call your ISP and get your modem password login.. to make changes in that also..

• Like 2

Appreciate your offer Felida, mine is also an all in one device too.   I found this site: http://setuprouter.com/router/2wire/2701hg-g/dns.htm  that talks about how to change your dns (which isn't what we want) for 2WIRE 2701HG but it did mention that the router/modem uses ddns by default so I'll try resetting it when my wife isn't around otherwise I'll get an ear full if she can't watch keeping up with the Kardashians or Gilmore Girls.....  lol

Appreciate your offer Felida, mine is also an all in one device too. I found this site: http://setuprouter.com/router/2wire/2701hg-g/dns.htm that talks about how to change your dns (which isn't what we want) for 2WIRE 2701HG but it did mention that the router/modem uses ddns by default so I'll try resetting it when my wife isn't around otherwise I'll get an ear full if she can't watch keeping up with the Kardashians or Gilmore Girls..... lol

You should check out portforward.com, not to forward ports, but they have guides for tons of modems/routers.. with images.. i dont know your specific one.. otherwise id be able to offer more help.. but yeah..

Edit: if your connection is PPPoE(like the images show in the link you posted)... you'll have to get the exact settings from your isp mate.. and they wont tell you to use a different dns either.. as honestly that is depending on a whole separate server to work.. if google goes down (does happen) you wont be able to surf the web.. 

UPDATE:  So I poked around my router settings yesterday and found the option to turn on Dynamic ip for DNS.  I experimented between dynamic dns from my isp Acanac vs Google DNS.  I was able to connect to system link on both options and tried connecting to games that had most system link users.  In this case I randomly chose Gears of War 3 but discovered that it only showed 1 - 2 games despite 25-30 link users connected - they can't ALL be idoling right??  When I tried connecting to either game I got connection time out or connection error.  So I tried a different game like Black Ops and Diablo 3- same deal, tons of people but only showing one or two games which I can't connect to.  I'm going to further test the speed of each option using bench mark test tools suggested by Felida but in the mean time.... Any ideas?

UPDATE:  So I poked around my router settings yesterday and found the option to turn on Dynamic ip for DNS.  I experimented between dynamic dns from my isp Acanac vs Google DNS.  I was able to connect to system link on both options and tried connecting to games that had most system link users.  In this case I randomly chose Gears of War 3 but discovered that it only showed 1 - 2 games despite 25-30 link users connected - they can't ALL be idoling right??  When I tried connecting to either game I got connection time out or connection error.  So I tried a different game like Black Ops and Diablo 3- same deal, tons of people but only showing one or two games which I can't connect to.  I'm going to further test the speed of each option using bench mark test tools suggested by Felida but in the mean time.... Any ideas?

the HOST depends on connection mate.. just because someone lists a room on Unity, doesn't mean they are right near you.. often they are across the world.. as well as have crappy connections.. ( sorry people but this is TRUE!!)

i "COULD" setup a room, and see if you can connect, bops 1/2/3, diablo 3..  but i have "more powerful" internet speeds than most lol

Ahhhhhh...... okay,  that makes sense - I just wanted to be sure it wasn't my setup.  It's frustrating to see so many people and not be able to connect.  

At least I'm able to connect to the regulars in Brazil to play my fav game: Ghost Recon Future Soldier

My second fav would be Red Dead redemption - though I haven't seen many people that I could connect to lately but when there WERE it was good times!

hrmmmm....  next on my to do list would be getting Wolfenstein - The New World Order Disc Swapping to work but I'll either start a new thread or reply to an old one.

I also picked up a modded ps3 running latest Rebug so I'll be posting some questions for it as well.  re: how to get DLC's and PSN games working

Thanks again for your help!

Ahhhhhh...... okay,  that makes sense - I just wanted to be sure it wasn't my setup.  It's frustrating to see so many people and not be able to connect.  

At least I'm able to connect to the regulars in Brazil to play my fav game: Ghost Recon Future Soldier

My second fav would be Red Dead redemption - though I haven't seen many people that I could connect to lately but when there WERE it was good times!

hrmmmm....  next on my to do list would be getting Wolfenstein - The New World Order Disc Swapping to work but I'll either start a new thread or reply to an old one.

I also picked up a modded ps3 running latest Rebug so I'll be posting some questions for it as well.  re: how to get DLC's and PSN games working

Thanks again for your help!

yeah, that is more than likely the issue mate.. as LiNK isn't a server like XBL, but the HOST xb is the server.. LiNK just connects you to "seem" like you are in the same house as the rest.. is still dependent on the HOST.. they could be using connections like 10/1 (10mb/s down-1mb/s up) ect.. and that WILL affect your ability to connect, if you can connect to people closer to you, then yeah everything is working fine.

as for the PS3 stuff.. good luck