RealModScene
StaticPulse

Original Xbox XDK Beta 2 Prototype?

My buddy here sladezdragonz scored this quite recently and while over at his house we were checking it out. No hard drive or cd rom though....

Anyone know any information on this on how we might be able to get it going again?

Console was found in a garbage dumpster, No top case, no HDD, no DVD drive.

I originally only had black screen on boot until I did the "Coma Console" fix which now on boot loads flubber splash screen then hangs before M$ logo is displayed.

EEPROM was dumped using serial cable method from an old Win 98 box in PonyProg and is displayed as shown below. No serial number listed

post-56760-0-92764000-1452577989_thumb.png

Since I acquired it, it now has a Thomson DVD drive (Will swap out with a Samsung when I repair one from the pile of parts in the garage) and a Maxtor DiamondMAX 16 160GB ATA 133 EIDE drive with rounded ATA 133 cables.

Manufacture date is: December 2001 N/A

EEPROM is: XM2-3944

TSOP is: Hyundai

Encoder chip is: Connexant CX25871-14

I also have a X2 Pro modchip to work with, but no cables, software, or previous knowledge on how to use said modchip....

post-56760-0-73793800-1450550968_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-98516300-1450550980_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-06408700-1450550999_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-01353300-1450551015_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-17726000-1450551030_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-01111000-1450551048_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Assuming it is like the retail xbox, then I would assume that you will need to dump the eeprom with a hardware reader/writer, then recreate the HDD. I have no idea where you can get the latest hdd image from a devkit xbox, but it should be out there somewhere. You could also mod it, like you would a retail, but since it is a devkit, it will come with the extra ram already installed, which comes in handy for mame, and surreal64. As for the disc drive, any drive from an og xbox should be pulg and play, as that was before the dvd key concept existed.

• Like 3

Assuming it is like the retail xbox, then I would assume that you will need to dump the eeprom with a hardware reader/writer, then recreate the HDD. I have no idea where you can get the latest hdd image from a devkit xbox, but it should be out there somewhere. You could also mod it, like you would a retail, but since it is a devkit, it will come with the extra ram already installed, which comes in handy for mame, and surreal64. As for the disc drive, any drive from an og xbox should be pulg and play, as that was before the dvd key concept existed.

Greatly appreciated!

I'll ask around at TX and check around on isozone. Hopefully we get lucky!!

• Like 1

@sladezzdragonzz had a modchip in one of his other xboxes, might be able to use that instead of doing the dump with an eeprom reader.

• Like 1

It already has a dev kit bios, I dont think the mod chip is really needed. And it is only 3(4 if powering externally) wires, that can be plugged directly into the lpc port on that model. ;) I have fixed my share of og xboxes. lol. And you can get all the parts to make the hardware reader/writer for under $10 at your local electronic parts store(Radio Shack), or online for under 5$ if you dont mind waiting. The only reason I could think of for a modchip, would be to easily flash the tsop, as modchips arent really needed for anything on the original xbox anymore, other than recovering from a bad tsop flash, and that doesnt work with lpc based modchips, as those only work because the onboard bios loads first, then reloads the new bios from the lpc port. If the onboard bios is messed up, it wont boot the console. :(

The only reason for a mod chip in an original xbox these days is for repair, in my book. You want more ram, flash the tsop, want a bigger hdd, that supports up to 2 tb, flash the tsop. other than that, softmod it, and be done with it. ;) The only other reason I can think of, is if you want to install an lcd screen for things like xbmc.

• Like 1

if you ground D0 the onboard BIOS is ignored and whatever can be found on LPC is loaded in it's place...

there's a disc we used to use where i worked before called "Super Disc" which can be used to format a new HDD and also lock it (which is what you would need from the eeprom, the key to lock it... but, this disc can read that without any hardware)

Yes, the DVD is plug 'n' play as long as the connectors match (the power cable also holds a few commands, there was a PC drive that could be used if you added the connector and did a few mods...

Your first priority imho is to get a DVD drive and a 3.5" IDE HDD so you can get started, if needed a mod chip can be used to override the onboard BIOS

Wow, Swizzy and Gavin have definitely worked on more Xbox1's than I have, lolz. I only have the limited experience with my box, so i'm limited to what I've done on it. 

Never heard of Super Disc before, best i would've suggested is Slayers or AID for the tools needed. (I have those disc if you need them)

I may be wrong, but the box might boot fine once you get the DVD drive (and HDD) installed, as I don't think it'll boot without both connected.

Wow, Swizzy and Gavin have definitely worked on more Xbox1's than I have, lolz. I only have the limited experience with my box, so i'm limited to what I've done on it. 

Never heard of Super Disc before, best i would've suggested is Slayers or AID for the tools needed. (I have those disc if you need them)

I may be wrong, but the box might boot fine once you get the DVD drive (and HDD) installed, as I don't think it'll boot without both connected.

You haven't heard of "Super Disc" because it's based on Slayers and is probably only heard of in sweden as the one we had was branded by our store :p it might have been something someone in the shop cooked up for our customers specifically, however, it is available on the web... hell... a guaranteed good source is: http://xeupd.com/.downloads/Superdisc.iso don't worry, nothing on it is actually in swedish from what i remember... well, apart from the bakground...

If memory serves me right, you need to have the DVD and HDD connected yes, the HDD also needs to be partitioned correctly aswell as contain "dash.xbe" in the correct place... on a retail system you also need the HDD to be locked, i've never actually worked with a devkit of the old xbox's so i can't really tell you much about those =/

You haven't heard of "Super Disc" because it's based on Slayers and is probably only heard of in sweden as the one we had was branded by our store :p it might have been something someone in the shop cooked up for our customers specifically, however, it is available on the web... hell... a guaranteed good source is: http://xeupd.com/.downloads/Superdisc.iso don't worry, nothing on it is actually in swedish from what i remember... well, apart from the bakground...

Ok, lolz. Yeah I did a quick search and see superdisc out there since '03, just never used it. I used Slayers in '05 when I first modded my Xbox, but moved on to AID after that since it was updated... I think 4.53 is the latest I have. I think someone might have made another update to slayers though. Thanks for the share though, i'll archive it and check it out one of these days.

edit: looks like the Slayers update was an unofficial update to 2.97-2.98

edit2: nope looks like I have a 3.2 version of Slayers, but there's also a 3.3 out there.

@sladezzdragonzz had a modchip in one of his other xboxes, might be able to use that instead of doing the dump with an eeprom reader.

I have that console here right now. I really should've asked to bring back the devkit to start working on it. Didn't really think I'd get so much good advise back so soon.

if you ground D0 the onboard BIOS is ignored and whatever can be found on LPC is loaded in it's place...

there's a disc we used to use where i worked before called "Super Disc" which can be used to format a new HDD and also lock it (which is what you would need from the eeprom, the key to lock it... but, this disc can read that without any hardware)

Yes, the DVD is plug 'n' play as long as the connectors match (the power cable also holds a few commands, there was a PC drive that could be used if you added the connector and did a few mods...

Your first priority imho is to get a DVD drive and a 3.5" IDE HDD so you can get started, if needed a mod chip can be used to override the onboard BIOS

I'm sure if he doesnt have a usable dvd drive I do in this stack of crap in the garage.

As far as the HDD goes,  we'll have to look around for one to use any brand limitations or can I just pop in any EIDE drive that will work?

If memory serves me right, you need to have the DVD and HDD connected yes, the HDD also needs to be partitioned correctly aswell as contain "dash.xbe" in the correct place... on a retail system you also need the HDD to be locked, i've never actually worked with a devkit of the old xbox's so i can't really tell you much about those =/

Thanks for the Superdisc link.

What will I need to read the EEPROM for the new drive lock info? And is that more or less the same way I'd use a JR programmer, or can I use any old JTAG reader/writer like my Blackcat or a TTL rs232 cable? Also what dumping/writing software will I need? Or is this also on the superdisk iso?

######

EDIT

######

This is what I'd want once I have a partitioned drive in the devkit to fully restore its tools on the drive correct?

xbox-developers-kit-5933-xbox-xb-364.jpg Release Info:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WAM is proud to present XBOX XDK 5933.

Notes:

~~~~~~

So Whats this? a new xdk? but microsoft said 5849 was the last one..

Well they straight out lied. This xdk was produced for Microsoft's

in house developers (Think Halo 2). What they tweaked is unknown

but rest assured it must be good.

-We've included the remote recovery exe for those

who have an official debug kit.

WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING

If you have a retail modded xbox do not use the remote

recovery executable. it can and will flash your bios, overwrite your

harddrive, and blank your eeprom. Unless of course you know what your doing.

do not blame us if you hose your xbox!

As far as the HDD goes,  we'll have to look around for one to use any brand limitations or can I just pop in any EIDE drive that will work?

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Lot's of info there, I personally have a Maxtor 200GB, but recommend a 750GB platter drive for best storage and compatibility. The SATA's (adapters) seem temperamental.

• Like 2

I have that console here right now. I really should've asked to bring back the devkit to start working on it. Didn't really think I'd get so much good advise back so soon.

I'm sure if he doesnt have a usable dvd drive I do in this stack of crap in the garage.

Thanks for the Superdisc link.

What will I need to read the EEPROM for the new drive lock info? And is that more or less the same way I'd use a JR programmer, or can I use any old JTAG reader/writer like my Blackcat or a TTL rs232 cable? Also what dumping/writing software will I need? Or is this also on the superdisk iso?

######

EDIT

######

This is what I'd want once I have a partitioned drive in the devkit to fully restore its tools on the drive correct?

xbox-developers-kit-5933-xbox-xb-364.jpg Release Info:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WAM is proud to present XBOX XDK 5933.

Notes:

~~~~~~

So Whats this? a new xdk? but microsoft said 5849 was the last one..

Well they straight out lied. This xdk was produced for Microsoft's

in house developers (Think Halo 2). What they tweaked is unknown

but rest assured it must be good.

-We've included the remote recovery exe for those

who have an official debug kit.

If you have a retail modded xbox do not use the remote

recovery executable. it can and will flash your bios, overwrite your

harddrive, and blank your eeprom. Unless of course you know what your doing.

do not blame us if you hose your xbox!

Any IDE HDD should work, i've not heard of any brand limitations...

You don't need to read out the EEPROM using hardware, it'd be sufficent to just run the tools from Superdisc, essentially it holds everything you'll ever really need to do anything with a classic xbox, there are menu options called "Lock HDD" and "Unlock HDD" which lets you lock/unlock the HDD without having the key (it'll be read from the EEPROM and used, just like the bios does) there are also tools which let you switch the regions and such (allowing for different video output settings etc.)

That is a sweet find, I'm incredibly jealous.  Just finished updating my own to a 750 gb hard drive.  Don't know what it is, but I still love my modded OGbox and use it all the time for emulators and such.

• Like 1

The part that sux is you may have to go to fleabay in Canada or UK to get the crystal cover for the dvd drive bay. Probably have to buy a whole console too.

The one on my crystal Xbox says XCM, and I've looked for an OG replacement.

• Like 1

I have slayers 2.7 on my crystal Xbox that's modded with xecuter 2.6 chip, where can i find an updated slayers?

BTW thanks for the super disc link as i also will archive it :)

I have slayers 2.7 on my crystal Xbox that's modded with xecuter 2.6 chip, where can i find an updated slayers?

BTW thanks for the super disc link as i also will archive it :)

I just googled Slayers 3.3, came back with one hit in Spanish. Might not be official, didn't check it. If you can't find the 3.2 let me know and I'll see if I can upload it.

I just googled Slayers 3.3, came back with one hit in Spanish. Might not be official, didn't check it. If you can't find the 3.2 let me know and I'll see if I can upload it.

I also found 3.3 but from youtube, english is an option from the menu but not sure if i trust it, here is the link:

Have a look and see what you think. The video shows 3.1 but the download shows different

Thanks.

I also found 3.3 but from youtube, english is an option from the menu but not sure if i trust it, here is the link:

Have a look and see what you think. The video shows 3.1 but the download shows different

Thanks.

I don't know what's not to trust. I don't think I've heard of any viruses for Xbox, you wouldn't see anything when mounting it on a pc if it's for Xbox. Doubt anyone has gone to the trouble to make a dangerous bios though.

I have an X3ce so no reason to change a bios on my system, last official release from tx was ages ago.

Thanks.

Based on this thread; http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1173&p=10651 i'd say it's unofficial

confirmed here: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_slayer-s-hybrid-auto-installer-v3-3-x-lite-y-full_1876161

Yeah, I think 2.7 was the last official release. The unofficial ones seam to be updated for XBMC and emulators.

But I can confirm the 3.2 works fine. I used it for XBMC install back in '13 (from the XBMC4XBox link in Swizzy's last post)

• Like 1

Would there be any reason for upgrading from 2.7? I only use Coinops.

Probably not, it's not like you'll gain anything "new" you'll still have the same dash etc.

Any IDE HDD should work, i've not heard of any brand limitations...

You don't need to read out the EEPROM using hardware, it'd be sufficent to just run the tools from Superdisc, essentially it holds everything you'll ever really need to do anything with a classic xbox, there are menu options called "Lock HDD" and "Unlock HDD" which lets you lock/unlock the HDD without having the key (it'll be read from the EEPROM and used, just like the bios does) there are also tools which let you switch the regions and such (allowing for different video output settings etc.)

Thanks! I was wondering how I would read and/or write to it, but from what I'm gathering is that you use the app on the superdisc iso to read the EEPROM and write it to the donor drive correct? Kinda like doing the security sector hack?

The part that sux is you may have to go to fleabay in Canada or UK to get the crystal cover for the dvd drive bay. Probably have to buy a whole console too.

The one on my crystal Xbox says XCM, and I've looked for an OG replacement.

That's going to be the really hard part.... especiall finding the bezzel for the drive. the internals were black right? or were those thing also crystal?