RealModScene
fulltimehustler

LINUX versions of software I need for my rgh stuff

Can anyone share a folder with the tools i need. mainly im looking for something like xbox360mpgui for extracting the iso. new to linux. i have mint

• Like 1

There's a whole section with all that stuff http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/forum/17-software/

Good luck finding linux software though, most everything in the mod scene is compiled for Windows.

edit: removed vid, linked software was an exe... damn youtubers

But as a UNIX user, I'd recommend getting a virtual machine installed to run windows

• Like 1

Can anyone share a folder with the tools i need. mainly im looking for something like xbox360mpgui for extracting the iso. new to linux. i have mint

Use WINE,  https://www.winehq.org/download/ I'd think you shouldnt have too much of an issue with the USB stuff....

The only one I'd think you might have a problem with would be FATxplorer but you'd just have to create a custom mount profile for the drive in question I think.  I'll try it out on my Laptop that runs the current distro of Ubuntu 15.10 and let you know.

EDIT If all else fails and you cannot get it to run with WINE, install Virtualbox and run it from Win 7 emulated. Its not a game so you shouldnt have any issues at all I'd think...

• Like 1

ok ill give those a try, kind of figured i would have to end up using a virtual machine. wierd about no linux programs. i just decided to switch yesterday. i could install windows 7 if i have to but ill try the VM, 360mpgui didnt work with wine, Loaded the UI then error message and crash.

ok ill give those a try, kind of figured i would have to end up using a virtual machine. wierd about no linux programs. i just decided to switch yesterday. i could install windows 7 if i have to but ill try the VM, 360mpgui didnt work with wine, Loaded the UI then error message and crash.

Linux isn't nearly as commonly used, and there are ALOT more distributions with different systems and so on... something compiled for one distribution might not work with another... for that matter, it's hard to deal with for homebrew developers, and there's the part where most Linux users actually know their way around compiling software among those, lot's also know how to write their own software which means they're more likely to do that...

Windows software works on pretty much every windows computer without any major issues, it mostly boils down to what other software you have running or possibly what hardware you're running it on (hardware isn't very common to be an issue with this type of software tho, it's mostly down to things like antivirus software which may block unknown software that it sees as malicious even if it isn't)

Ok good advice. I definitely need to learn linux. So far I'm planning on staying due to user speed compared to windows7. Still haven't even learned how to install most programs. Grrrr! Other than that so far I'm loving linux mint.

• Like 1

Ok good advice. I definitely need to learn linux. So far I'm planning on staying due to user speed compared to windows7. Still haven't even learned how to install most programs. Grrrr! Other than that so far I'm loving linux mint.

Most software is commandline and is generally installed by doing apt-get install <appname>

Most software is commandline and is generally installed by doing apt-get install <appname>

Do they even do it that way anymore in Mint or Ubuntu? I thought they made a GUI app manager. IDK, i Haven't used Linux since Jaunty Jackelope, lolz (if you don't count GParted or RasPI). But yeah, command line would work regardless. 

Do they even do it that way anymore in Mint or Ubuntu? I thought they made a GUI app manager. IDK, i Haven't used Linux since Jaunty Jackelope, lolz (if you don't count GParted or RasPI). But yeah, command line would work regardless.

Yes, they still have the commandline version available, but i think ubuntu use something else now a days then "apt-get" something similar...

yeah im pretty good at follwing directions but dont know much about actual coding etc. im 100% windows guy, until recently. used mac at school, windows at home and linux almost never. i like it so far. and my computer seems to run faster. ive seen a few linux programs but none work so far or i didnt install properly. give me a few days to play around. ill report back if i have problems. plan 1 is virtual machine plan 2 is just dual boot again

I recommend learning BASH and downloading and installing guake terminal. Its a great way for CLI stuff.

Since you use mint, here is the link for their official forums for their kernal builds. The only problem is that their main forum is currently down due to what looks like an SQL issue.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/

I would recommend http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/

Here's some more places for good info

http://www.linux.org/forums/beginner-tutorials.53/

And I would STRONGLY recommend the book or ebook "A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, editors, and Shell Programming" by Mark G. Sobell

Google and *other* areas can be your friend in this regard.... ISBN-13: 978-0-13-136736-4 ISBN-10: 0-13-136736-6

Yes, they still have the commandline version available, but i think ubuntu use something else now a days then "apt-get" something similar...

Ya Ubuntu is apt-get. I think Mint uses apt also since its all debian based. And CentOS // Redhat // Fedora systems use YUM
  • Like 3

Ya Ubuntu is apt-get. I think Mint uses apt also since its all debian based. And CentOS // Redhat // Fedora systems use YUM

Isn't ubuntu also bundling another one... aptitude or something like that?

I recommend learning BASH and downloading and installing guake terminal. Its a great way for CLI stuff.

Since you use mint, here is the link for their official forums for their kernal builds. The only problem is that their main forum is currently down due to what looks like an SQL issue.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/

I would recommend http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/

Here's some more places for good info

http://www.linux.org/forums/beginner-tutorials.53/

And I would STRONGLY recommend the book or ebook "A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, editors, and Shell Programming" by Mark G. Sobell

Google and *other* areas can be your friend in this regard.... ISBN-13: 978-0-13-136736-4 ISBN-10: 0-13-136736-6

you forgot Gentoo using emerge(Portage), and Arch uses pacman. And between all of the versions of linux mentioned so far, the only 2 I would run are gentoo, or arch. I hate debian, and redhat based distros...... the package management could be better maintained, Also would suggest looking into slack ware. Note all 3 of the linux version I mentioned are not for Noobs. But if you want complete customization of all your apps, I would suggest Gentoo. Arch is good for the quick install, but I would rather customize, and compile everything. lol.

• Like 2

Isn't ubuntu also bundling another one... aptitude or something like that?

Aptitude is in the repo, but the one I think you're referring to is their software center, there is another one which was released called AppGrid which is a faster loading and from what I've read better package manager than the standard software center.

you forgot Gentoo using emerge(Portage), and Arch uses pacman. And between all of the versions of linux mentioned so far, the only 2 I would run are gentoo, or arch. I hate debian, and redhat based distros...... the package management could be better maintained, Also would suggest looking into slack ware. Note all 3 of the linux version I mentioned are not for Noobs. But if you want complete customization of all your apps, I would suggest Gentoo. Arch is good for the quick install, but I would rather customize, and compile everything. lol.

I agree with you on Gentoo and Arch. I can't say I like Slackware because of how much of a pain in the ass it can be to config. Gentoo is hard also but at least you can build it custom to your hardware.  The last time I installed Gentoo I think was back in 2004 with a KDE manager to run a Battlefield 1942 server. I have no experience with Arch but I know many people who do use and enjoy it.

arch also is a manual config, but the packages are binary. slackware is a pain, but worth it if you want to learn linux, and gentoo has the most powerful pain in the ass pacage management system. lol.

yeah maybe down the road i can look into a more advanced linux os. but for now this is a good learner os esp with all of this info and links.

I think you made the right OS choice for a new Linux user coming from Windows. Ubuntu would have been a good choice coming from Mac. Make the transition to something more advanced when you're ready, or just install Virtual machines to play with more advanced systems as you get bolder. I found that most of what I do on my Mac is quite manageable from VM's, if I need something that only Linux can provide, I can just create a new VM.

• Like 2

I found the software manager, so that makes everything pretty simple on linux. i also installed wine using commandline, so that does work, but software manager is the way to go. it was right in front of my face the whole time lol. i also installed a virtual machine, with windows xp, took a while.

when using a virtual machine, make sure you DO NOT use more than half of your ram for the vm.

I havent used any programs i need yet, but i need to put a few games back on my internal tonight. im sure the VM will work just fine for everything, unless windows xp is the culprit. pretty sure all of my current xbox programs work on xp just fine.

maybe run into problems with net4.0 not sure why but i have trouble getting horizonmb and godspeed etc to work last time i tried due to something to do with net framework. i had a few of them, esp 4.0 and reinstalled etc. maybe i need all of them, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 etc

You need to install them in order, 2, 3.5 and then 4, if you skip 2/3.5 it'll not install them properly on XP

There's even 4.5/4.6 now, but those aren't compatible with Windows XP

Perfect. I was thinking something like that. Im sure thats the problem, net framework out of order etc.

Also, i had to "insert guest adfitions cd image" to get shared folders or usb working within the virtual machine. Its an option on the top of the vm screen. Ctrl (rightside ctrl)+C will exit scaled mode to show the menu. Extracting a game now.

USing the VM did work so that makes my goal easier esp since i already have the software and knowledge with windiws etc.  im still messing around trying a few other options but I think this is my only way since i cant/wont compile my own programs. i tried using "ripper" couldnt get it going with my os, and tried "iso master" but couldnt figure out how to use that program, only thing it tries to extract is a read me.

• Like 1

Perfect. I was thinking something like that. Im sure thats the problem, net framework out of order etc.

Also, i had to "insert guest adfitions cd image" to get shared folders or usb working within the virtual machine. Its an option on the top of the vm screen. Ctrl (rightside ctrl)+C will exit scaled mode to show the menu. Extracting a game now.

USing the VM did work so that makes my goal easier esp since i already have the software and knowledge with windiws etc.  im still messing around trying a few other options but I think this is my only way since i cant/wont compile my own programs. i tried using "ripper" couldnt get it going with my os, and tried "iso master" but couldnt figure out how to use that program, only thing it tries to extract is a read me.

Yes, you need guest additions for full USB functionality also which you might want for your JR Programmer.

For mounting disc images (standard not console) you would want FuriousISO. I might be wrong on the spelling of the application name though. Brasero is great for actual disc burning and you might have issues with the .NET framerwork. Not sure in a VM since it's been awhile but with winetricks it's a PITA.

yeah maybe down the road i can look into a more advanced linux os. but for now this is a good learner os esp with all of this info and links.

You do realize that Gentoo and Arch have more information on linux apps that can be used across multiple distros in their documentation than any other linux distributions. ;) Want proof, go check out the gentoo wiki, or the arch wiki. 90% of the time I google an issue I am having with linux, I usually find the answer I am looking for in one of those 2 places.

• Like 1

Most linux apps can be used across most distro's, the small ammount you can't use are mainly due to specifics in that particular distro, if the app isn't available in the repo's, you can usually find the source code so you can compile it on your own for your distro/architecture

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most linux apps can be used across most distro's, the small ammount you can't use are mainly due to specifics in that particular distro, if the app isn't available in the repo's, you can usually find the source code so you can compile it on your own for your distro/architecture

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

But that's when compiling from source comes in handy, just need the dependencies first and it builds it with no problems usually. Not directing this at Swizzy or Gavin as I know they already know this but I'm pretty sure fulltimehustler doesn't. Matter of fact its one of the only ways to get an emulator fully functioning in Linux, especially the better MAME and MESS ports.

• Like 1