RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
StaticPulse

[TuT] PS2 Free Mcboot via Network Adapter Module on Hard Drive

So I went and trade a JTAG Xenon yesterday for a Xbox Classic and a Fat PS2 with bad dvd laser BUT it came with the Network Adapter / Hard Drive module. How effin SWEET is that??!!??

Anyhoo, After doing some research and trying a TuT by some guy in Eastern Europe I was a bit miffed until I came across this youtube TuT.

ONCE AGAIN: This is not my TuT, just a repost and all credit on this particular TuT goes to Project Pheonix Media

Published on Feb 17, 2014

***Read Below***
FHDB 1.93 Noobie Package essentially is the FMCB (Free McBoot), but running off a Fat PS2 hard drive. This is an awesome mod for those who want to do something cool with their PS2 hard drive.

Did I mention this is the first video tutorial on Youtube ever on this subject? (as of 02/17/14).

Important tip: When formatting the hard drive with winhiip, make sure that any drive over 128GB is using 48 bit hd loader when formatting and you must always (regardless of size) set erase mode to full.

----------------------------------------

­---
*Links For the Video*

FHDB main thread: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/unofficial-fhdb-1-93-noobie-package-obt-119562/
Useful links:

WinHIIP 1.7.6: http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/9mwrggPY/file.html

HDD Raw Copy Tool: http://www.hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

----------------------------------------­---

• Like 4

sweet.. i have free mcboot on my memory cards already tho..

• Like 1

sp193 has built a newer tool for installing FHDB to the hdd. I believe this replaces the winhiip part of the tutorial. More info in localh's thread at psx-scene

I installed using winhiip and hddrawcopy though, before sp193's tool was released, and it works great.

Another useful bit of info, it's a good idea to check for extra power cycling of hdd on boot. If this happens just install fhdb again (and keep your original .cnf file) and it will go away. more info here

• Like 3

ps2 was nice.. Ps2 emu is better, HD better:

I used to run emulator with pcsx2 using Kodi as a frontend with Angelscry Advance Program launcher for it, MESS, MAME, and anything else under the sun that I wanted  but in the end I wound up just only using my computer for my GNS3 and server stuff. Setting up that Kodi frontend in Linux was actually a bit of a challenege and I had Wine and DOSbox integration with it also.

• Like 1

I used to run emulator with pcsx2 using Kodi as a frontend with Angelscry Advance Program launcher for it, MESS, MAME, and anything else under the sun that I wanted  but in the end I wound up just only using my computer for my GNS3 and server stuff. Setting up that Kodi frontend in Linux was actually a bit of a challenege and I had Wine and DOSbox integration with it also.

yeah, pcsx2 is getting pretty nice now-a-days.. lolz

• Like 1

yeah, pcsx2 is getting pretty nice now-a-days.. lolz

Its a damn shame I can't just get a firmware upgrade for my ps2 that will allow for at least 480p resolutions.

Its a damn shame I can't just get a firmware upgrade for my ps2 that will allow for at least 480p resolutions.

I thought that is supported 480p already, did u set the connections to composite instead of rgb?

edit:

Technical specifications[edit]
The PlayStation 2 may natively output video resolutions on SDTV and HDTV from 480i to 480p while other games, such as Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy are known to support upscaled 1080i resolution using any of the following standards: composite video (480i), S-Video (480i), RGB (480i/p), VGA (for progressive scan games and PS2 Linux only), YPBPR component video (which display most PS1 games in their native 240p mode which most HDTV sets don't support), and D-Terminal. Cables are available for all of these signal types; these cables also output analog stereo audio. Additionally, an RF modulator is available for the system to connect to older TVs.

Digital (S/PDIF) audio may also be output by the console via its TOSLINK connector which outputs 5.1 channel sound.
  • Like 1

I thought that is supported 480p already, did u set the connections to composite instead of rgb?

edit:

Technical specifications[edit]
The PlayStation 2 may natively output video resolutions on SDTV and HDTV from 480i to 480p while other games, such as Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy are known to support upscaled 1080i resolution using any of the following standards: composite video (480i), S-Video (480i), RGB (480i/p), VGA (for progressive scan games and PS2 Linux only), YPBPR component video (which display most PS1 games in their native 240p mode which most HDTV sets don't support), and D-Terminal. Cables are available for all of these signal types; these cables also output analog stereo audio. Additionally, an RF modulator is available for the system to connect to older TVs.

Digital (S/PDIF) audio may also be output by the console via its TOSLINK connector which outputs 5.1 channel sound.

Yeah I see the TOSLINK connector, as far as video goes though, I'm just using the standard component y/w/r cable that came with it. Had to lower the screen size on my 48" HDLED TV to 4:3 and create a custom brightness/sharpness/backlight profile to lower the chunkiness.

Yeah I see the TOSLINK connector, as far as video goes though, I'm just using the standard component y/w/r cable that came with it. Had to lower the screen size on my 48" HDLED TV to 4:3 and create a custom brightness/sharpness/backlight profile to lower the chunkiness.

yeah.. it really all depends on the games.. lolz.. but they did fix the upscailing in pcsx2

http://pcsx2.net/269-major-gsdx-progress-monthly-reports.html

but yeah you wont get a much better pic, as the PS2 doesn't support higher than 480p unless the game can support the upscailing..

or try this:

Hey man, I may be able to help you out as far as the picture quality issue. Most of my advice is pretty much common sense or common knowledge so you already may know, but I'll post it anyway. I had a similar problem with my PS2 not looking quite right when I upgraded my TV from a 34" CRT to a 46" LCD.

1. Make sure you are using the PS2 Component Video Cables and not the included composite cables. Component cables carry color data thru 3 separate cables - Blue, Green & Red. Audio is carried separately. The included Composite Cables are essentially the cheapest cables around and cannot carry a Progressive Picture. Many PS2 games including God of War, Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 4, etc. are 480p or 480 "Progressive". Component cables will help get the most out of your PS2.

2. Go into your PS2 settings and make sure that you enable the output to "Component Video Cables" aka "YPbPr" & change the aspect ratio to 16:9.

3. On your HDTV there should be some sort of button on the remote called "aspect" or "ratio" or something of that nature. Fire up your PS2 and pop in a game. I used GoW 2 for my settings. Now cycle through your HDTV aspect settings until you find one called "letter box" or something like that. Basically you are preserving a smaller screen size by shrinking the PS2 output to the center of your screen whilst preserving the 16:9 aspect.

4. The result will be a much crisper picture! Though there will likely be a black border around your entire HDTV.

Edit: Can't wait to try this;

http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=80

• Like 2

That cable isn't called "Component" it's Composite... the Component cable is also known as YPbPr

Component is generally with 5 cables:

Red, Green, Blue - Video

Red, White - Audio

• Like 1

yeah.. it really all depends on the games.. lolz.. but they did fix the upscailing in pcsx2

http://pcsx2.net/269-major-gsdx-progress-monthly-reports.html

but yeah you wont get a much better pic, as the PS2 doesn't support higher than 480p unless the game can support the upscailing..

or try this:

Hey man, I may be able to help you out as far as the picture quality issue. Most of my advice is pretty much common sense or common knowledge so you already may know, but I'll post it anyway. I had a similar problem with my PS2 not looking quite right when I upgraded my TV from a 34" CRT to a 46" LCD.

1. Make sure you are using the PS2 Component Video Cables and not the included composite cables. Component cables carry color data thru 3 separate cables - Blue, Green & Red. Audio is carried separately. The included Composite Cables are essentially the cheapest cables around and cannot carry a Progressive Picture. Many PS2 games including God of War, Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 4, etc. are 480p or 480 "Progressive". Component cables will help get the most out of your PS2.

2. Go into your PS2 settings and make sure that you enable the output to "Component Video Cables" aka "YPbPr" & change the aspect ratio to 16:9.

3. On your HDTV there should be some sort of button on the remote called "aspect" or "ratio" or something of that nature. Fire up your PS2 and pop in a game. I used GoW 2 for my settings. Now cycle through your HDTV aspect settings until you find one called "letter box" or something like that. Basically you are preserving a smaller screen size by shrinking the PS2 output to the center of your screen whilst preserving the 16:9 aspect.

4. The result will be a much crisper picture! Though there will likely be a black border around your entire HDTV.

Edit: Can't wait to try this;

http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=80

Thanks for the info, I'll look into replacing the cable with the one you suggested. That SATA adapter kit looks pretty epic but the drive will have issues with the ps2 if its over 1TB, I was reading on the psx forum and found some really good info on the subject here:  http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/what-ismax-ps2-hd-size-93120/

Thanks for the info, I'll look into replacing the cable with the one you suggested. That SATA adapter kit looks pretty epic but the drive will have issues with the ps2 if its over 1TB, I was reading on the psx forum and found some really good info on the subject here:  http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/what-ismax-ps2-hd-size-93120/

yeah most of the info i found about it was on that forum.. lolz but i have a spare HDD from my corona that i fooked up.. 250gb.. and besides.. you really dont need bigger than 1tb for PS2.. as there are only a handful of dual-layer games.. PLUS it's only for the 700XX series.. which i just so happen to have.. so SCORE!!! lolz

plus if i screw it up.. i'll just take out my modbo 4 and plop it into another ps2.. lmfao

• Like 1

So after doing some further research I  found out a really awesome workaround for lousy graphics with HD TV's.

Scart to HDMI conversion for all retro consoles (Almost all retro consoles)

Basically all the consoles were RGB but it was downmixed to composite here in the United State and just about every NTSC system. One awesome thing though is that European SCART cables which were primarily used for PAL systems are compatible with NTSC and even more so they don't downmix to lower grade 240p resolutions on consoles like Sega Genesis, Snes, and so forth. Basically it will take RGB and upscale it to 720p and 1080p  and convert to HDMI.

All you need is the converter, I'd think a multi-SCART adapter, and the specific SCART cable for the specific system in question.

So for like a 70 dollar investment you can have full RGB on HD resolution. the different platform SCART cables range from $5.00- $24.00 depending on what system you want to use one with but it seems like a pretty awesome workaround!

Nice to have options, but are you going to use this for your PS2? 

I use PS2 component cables, and then run GSM to set 480p/720p/1080i and even a 1080p version floating around out there. Only ran me $7.99.

• Like 1

Nice to have options, but are you going to use this for your PS2? 

I use PS2 component cables, and then run GSM to set 480p/720p/1080i and even a 1080p version floating around out there. Only ran me $7.99.

I've been strongly considering it, Seems like its worth it if you're as OCD as I can be at times. I'd definitly do it for the Sega Saturn, SNES, Genesis, and NES Classic though, Sega Master System also if I could find the friggin 3d Glasses for Maze Hunter 3d (Epic game!!)

I've been strongly considering it, Seems like its worth it if you're as OCD as I can be at times. I'd definitly do it for the Sega Saturn, SNES, Genesis, and NES Classic though, Sega Master System also if I could find the friggin 3d Glasses for Maze Hunter 3d (Epic game!!)

Yeah, I hear you. Probably a good thing for those other consoles. Just didn't see the need on the PS2 since it has component abilities.

Wow, those glasses are expensive! found some on fleabay , but anything with original packaging is over $150.

I used to love playing Space Harrier on Master system. Two things I never got into though were 3D and light gun games, lolz.

• Like 1

Great baseball Fantasy Zone, and Ghostbusters were pretty awesome too!!

Maybe its revealing my age, but I find that the older games seemed a LOT more fun.

• Like 2

Maybe its revealing my age, but I find that the older games seemed a LOT more fun.

why dont you just use the retroarch cores on this forum with my config with it.. makes the classic games look pretty decent with the shaders.. 

• Like 1

More satisfying when you finally beat a level/boss too. So much work put in to pass it, lmao. 

• Like 1

More satisfying when you finally beat a level/boss too. So much work put in to pass it, lmao.

Games these days just care about graphics.. Not gameplay/story.. Most games can be beat in 3-4 hours now.. Hell super Mario world took 15+ hours on SNES.. Haha game companies Jewish much??
  • Like 3

why dont you just use the retroarch cores on this forum with my config with it.. makes the classic games look pretty decent with the shaders.. 

I have many emulators already, not too concerned about it, Would be nice to get the c=64 one to fully work without crashing though. Thats like the main reason I did the JTAG trade for the ps2 and xbox classic. Next time I head out to Stockton my buddy is going to loan me his copy of splinter cell to get the soft mod process started. I really do like the old games more, what they lacked in graphics they SERIOUSLY made up with Creativity. Ever played Potty Pigeon before?

Or Bop n Rumble?

Leather Goddesses of Phoebos, All the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons titles and Sentinal Worlds: Future Magic were BADASS!!!  Lets also not forget Times of Lore and the Ultima Series. Castles of Dr. Creep, Jumpman, Floyd the Droid, Hacker, Hacker II, Below the Root, the list goes on and on and on. WHY CAN'T GOOD GAMES BE MADE ANYMORE???!!!???  T_T

I have many emulators already, not too concerned about it, Would be nice to get the c=64 one to fully work without crashing though. Thats like the main reason I did the JTAG trade for the ps2 and xbox classic. Next time I head out to Stockton my buddy is going to loan me his copy of splinter cell to get the soft mod process started. I really do like the old games more, what they lacked in graphics they SERIOUSLY made up with Creativity. Ever played Potty Pigeon before?

Leather Goddesses of Phoebos, All the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons titles and Sentinal Worlds: Future Magic were BADASS!!!  Lets also not forget Times of Lore and the Ultima Series. Castles of Dr. Creep, Jumpman, Floyd the Droid, Hacker, Hacker II, Below the Root, the list goes on and on and on. WHY CAN'T GOOD GAMES BE MADE ANYMORE???!!!???  T_T

nah i've never played those before hahaah.. they were before my time.. i remember the atari, but NES forward was in my lifetime lolz..

nah i've never played those before hahaah.. they were before my time.. i remember the atari, but NES forward was in my lifetime lolz..

Man you gotta check out what was on the C=64 it was INSANE!! that right there was the very origin of demo groups and a bunch of other people in the scene. Lot's `o Good Stuff!!!

So many people were around then and I was only like six years old when I discovered it all...

Here's a ton of games that were pretty popular then

Man you gotta check out what was on the C=64 it was INSANE!! that right there was the very origin of demo groups and a bunch of other people in the scene. Lot's `o Good Stuff!!!

So many people were around then and I was only like six years old when I discovered it all...

Here's a ton of games that were pretty popular then

yeah i might have a look into it.. i am a sucker for the old school stuff..

• Like 1