RealModScene
MrKronic

Xecuter Demon questions

Hello people. I have an unmodded Phat Jasper BB model Xbox that I have been thinking of outfitting with a Demon Dual Nand + R-JTAG combo for quite sometime.Normally, I don't have any issues with such installs, but I have a couple of questions before I want to proceed with this. Please excuse my language if it isn't clear because I dunno how to approach this properly.

The Xecuter Demon I have did not come with a BB upgrade kit when I had it shipped in (bought it from xconsoles whose stocks ran out) so I have to use the Demon board as-is unless I find a workaround. So:

1) Will I be able to read/write the retail nand with the Demon even though the DEmon is in SB mode?

2) Will I able to use a Nand image of a different SB Jasper to the Demon and use it on this console (provided I modify it with the CPU key of the console) ?  If it is possible, then what changes do I have to make to the Nand image before I can use it?

I haven't been able to find the answers to these question anywhere since the TX site went offline. I would highly appreciate it if anyone is able to shed some light in this matter. Thank you everyone. 

to answer the questions, all the bb adapter is are a 2 10k ohm resistors wired from points x7 - d0, and x8 to d1. you can get those for like a dollar at radioshack, but yes you can read/write the retail nand without the bb adapter. as for the second question, I would use the retail nand from the console, to ensure the smc config is correct for your console, and replace the KV with a banned one, and then when creating your sb image, make sure to put the propper DVD key in the advanced xebuild settings, or else you wont be able to read games. :( Other than that I think that I have answered everything, and happy modding. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply :D I did come across the resistor workaround in some German forum , but wasn't quite sure about the resistor values that you're supposed to use :unsure: . Thankfully, I did have a couple of 10K resistors in my stash, and after a quick install and test read, I got the following log:

===================================================
Tuesday, July 1, 2015 1:25:30 AM

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (7) Started

WARNING! - Your selected working directory already contains files!
You can view these files by using 'Show Working Folder' Button

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
Reading Nand to C:\Users\Mista Kronic\Desktop\J-Runner\output\nanddump1.bin
DEMON
Hardware   : Demon Phat
Firmware   : 1.4
Flash ID   : 0x73AD Hynix (16MiB - Small block)
Flash Size : 0x400 blocks of 0x4200 bytes
Reading Nand
Done!
in 0:19 min:sec

Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Jasper 16MB
Jtag Selected
Nand Initialization Finished
===================================================

Is the Demon supposed to show up as 16MiB or am I doing something wrong (checked resistance and continuity between points which were positive so its not connection)?  :unsure: I did flash the Demon with the 16 Mb image beforehand so I presume its reading that image, but isn't it supposed to show the spoofed nand capacity or something?

Regarding the Nand data modding, will the Retail nand modified with only the KV from the SB suffice if the makeshift BB upgrade works?

yes, it is working, as the demon only has a 16mb nand on the board. It doesnt spoof the nand capacity, just tricks the console into being a 16mb console when the demon is enabled. You will need to dump your retail nand, and create every thing(ECC, Freeboot image) by switching j-runner from bb jasper to sb jasper manually, then create the ecc, and flash that to the demon. Do the same for the freeboot image. When you boot from the demon, the onboard storage will not be there, but will be when you boot from retail.

• Like 1

Sorry for the very late reply....been away for a couple of days. Now that I am starting with the install, I have a new bunch of questions:

1) Since I am using an R-JTAG, does the ribbon cable from J2 have to be connected to the J2 point on the R-JTAG? If yes, other than establishing communication between the R-JTAG board and the Demon, what is its function, since there is no programming to be done on the Rjtag afaik?

2) What is the functionality of the Sync and Remote Power cables (never got an answer to this anywhere, hence the reason for asking)? Are they necessary for the R-JTAG install?

3) Is there anything other detail that's different for the rjtag from a regular one using a coolrunner? :)

1) I guess this one connects to the "JTAG" port of the chip normally? if so; it's totally and utterly useless in your case...

2) Remote Power is to enable you to power on/off the console from your PC using the Demon... Sync, not 100% sure about that one... but, it's not vital...

3) Not really, they're the same when it comes to the installation and usage... nothing is actually different apart from not needing to hook it up to be able to program the chip... why would you even need that in the first place? once you've got good glitching, the chip needs no programming... ever...

• Like 1

Yes I think. That cable normally goes to the Demon-CR adapter from the demon in coolrunner installs. There is a similar slot on the R-jtag chip beside the POST slot, hence the confusion...

Thanks a lot :D Ill report if there is any issues later...

So i've installed the Demon and connected it to the PC via the daughterboard (with the switch at the back set to "XBOX") and the PSU connected. But the PC does not detect the Demon at all this time. Is there any issue with the setup or could it be because I haven't hooked up the R-JTAG chip yet?  :unsure:

So i've installed the Demon and connected it to the PC via the daughterboard (with the switch at the back set to "XBOX") and the PSU connected. But the PC does not detect the Demon at all this time. Is there any issue with the setup or could it be because I haven't hooked up the R-JTAG chip yet?  :unsure:

JTag chip shouldnt matter, did you install the demon driver, and is the power connected to the xbox?

Yes, and yes...I have also tested R/W-ing to the Demon (as I mentioned earlier) before installing and things went smooth then. I haven't tested R/W through the daughterboard though, so could it be the issue?

Here are the pics. Although I don't see how one could install the ribbon cable backwards :/ Hope they help. As a side note, I checked each solder point for continuity during the install

post-62827-0-08482400-1436442274_thumb.jpg

post-62827-0-23311100-1436442315_thumb.jpg

post-62827-0-62835300-1436442360_thumb.jpg

Yes! Its working :D That was a wrong assumption on my part, since I've done most Demon installs on slims so far :S

Thanks again :D Hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out.....

• Like 2