RealModScene
xDRAGONxLuky

[NOVA] Ping patch limit (Eliminate 99% of lag on link)

If u want to connect to a host through system link, the game checks if your ping is < 30ms. but we use ping patch to disable this function.

My question is if it is possible to enable ping check and just set it a bit higher (like 100ms or so ping)?

because now people can watch youtube and download something and the whole family is on the internet and they still connect to games and because of this kind of people every one is laging...  and also i know of multiple people that play through wireless because they are too lazy to set up a wired connection. and also some people use the lag mod which makes u lag just slightly so u have the advantage.

so my suggestion would be that if possible please re-enable ping check and just make it a bit higher (i dont know how high, but worst case scenario, we can try it out and see what is the max upper limit so that the game is playable).

If it is not possible to change the ping check because it is coded inside of the game or something than i have another suggestion:

for example when u want to connect to a host, NOVA would ping u to that host and if the ping is above the MAX value, you would not be able to join the game. Because of that people would constantly try to connect to the host and the server would have to ping all the time. we could solve this if u would be able to ping every host 1x per hour (or every 2h or whatever).

it would be even better if for public rooms there would be a default max ping check that would be a bit higher (like 150ms or something) so that even people with worse connection would be able to join and when u make a private room there would be an option to choose the max ping u allow. 

WHIT THIS WE COULD SOLVE 99% OF ISSUES ON SYSTEM LINK!!!

when this would be implemented we should make a thread and explain to people how this feature works and make some idiot proof tutorials (with pictures of course) on how to make their connection better (dmz, qos, bandwidth limiter,.....). the problem is no one would search for it. we could use the bottom announcement bar when u open system link (for example in black ops 2 it says UPDATE TO TU 15!!! which came out a year ago :D. its TU 18 now) and there would be an announcement: for more info on how to connect to hosts and how to make your connection better please visit this site:

if u think about it private rooms would become almost unnecessary. the only reason we make a private room is so that we can kick all the people who are laging or cheating. it takes a huge amounth of time to kick and they are joining all the time. there are max 2 cheaters in every public room and atleast 10 people with really bad connection or from far away. with this people from south america would play together and would not be able to join europe hosts. they live so far away that the delay is imense. u can not kill them. for example i played in a locked room yesterday with people that had 4 bars of connection. the SMR actually killed in 2 shoots as it should. when u play with people that have bad connection u have to empty the whole clip to kill them which is just insane.

• Like 5

i like the ideal.... but ,, i do not see this coming to light... 

why not? 

i think the issue of lag should be very high on the priority list.

and i do not think this is very hard to do. when u want to join the host the system would ping u and if the ping value is higher than the max allowed value than u cant join. but lets wait for the developers response...

or if the above approach is hard to implement we could make it even easyer. when u boot up the console, aurora pings u for eu, asia, america and stores the values. and when u want to connect to eu host it would take the eu value. it would ping u every boot. this way is not very accurate but its way better than what we have now.

The thing is, we don't have control of when users connect to eachother, so we really cannot block at that point...

What we can do is maybe add so you can see the ping of other users, even so, lag mods may not even be detected during these checks, it'd be enough to just disable it during the ping check and voila, you're not detected!

Alot of requests lately have been stuff for games, things we cannot do... we can change how LiNK works, but we cannot change how games work, sorry... LiNK doesn't provide system link, LiNK provides a custom virtual network, from there it's up to the games to deal with the further problems...

• Like 4

The thing is, we don't have control of when users connect to eachother, so we really cannot block at that point...

What we can do is maybe add so you can see the ping of other users, even so, lag mods may not even be detected during these checks, it'd be enough to just disable it during the ping check and voila, you're not detected!

Alot of requests lately have been stuff for games, things we cannot do... we can change how LiNK works, but we cannot change how games work, sorry... LiNK doesn't provide system link, LiNK provides a custom virtual network, from there it's up to the games to deal with the further problems...

if you would be able to show the ping in numbers that would be insane.

and when u make a room there should be an option to define max ping before u enter the room. this would be GREAT!

with this we could atleast defend ourselves from brazillians to enter the room and those who ply wireless or are watching youtube or downloading.

if you would be able to show the ping in numbers that would be insane.

and when u make a room there should be an option to define max ping before u enter the room. this would be GREAT!

with this we could atleast defend ourselves from brazillians to enter the room and those who ply wireless or are watching youtube or downloading.

Setting max ping would be against the server for rooms, which is pointless as it doesn't make a difference between you and whoever connects

• Like 1

Setting max ping would be against the server for rooms, which is pointless as it doesn't make a difference between you and whoever connects

oh yes i do understand... god damn :(

would it be possible to determine the players rough location? so that atleast when u select only europe players can join when u make a room that really only europe players can join. because those who make rooms told me that this does not work.

and another question is wouldd it be possible to pick the room size? now when u make a room the size is always 32 players. would it be possible to pick between 12, 18, 32? so that people with 1mb upload also would be able to host (they can support up to 12 people). and as i imagine when u make a room for 12 players, nova fills other 20 spaces with something so tht others cant join.

and if this would work i have another idea:

lets say if i make a room for 18 or 12 people that means that i created that room for only my game. and so the previous ping system would be able to work. when i make the room i get two titles: rom leader and room host. i can give the room leader title to whomever will kick people. and the room host title i give to the person that will host the game (if that would be me than i would just keep it). and since i would have the room host title than nova would know who is hosting and when i person would want to join he would first be pinged to the location of the room host. this way the max ping limit would be able to work.

if i was not clear enough here is an example:

- i make a room for 18 players and set the max ping size to x (50, 100 or 150ms)

- i give the leadership to whoever will kick or if i will kick people than i keep it

- i give the host leadership to whoever will host

- when someone wants to enter the room he would get pinged to the room host

- if his ping is lower than the max value he can enter the room and if not he gets an 1h ban from the room

• Like 1

i am sorry i do not understand what u mean.

Well, the ping timeout would be checked against the server, not against each and every user in the room

• Like 2

I also thought about this lately and saw the problems.

Maybe ping checks to a user created room would make sense.

'Generally' the creators of userrooms are the host themselves(ingame), so basically you look if you have a good connection on that room.

Also users could show their country location.

Spanish users may have better connection with users from their country for example but have miserable connevtion with africa.

But thats also another point we already talked. Country specific rooms ...

Lets see what will come first and next

• Like 1

I also thought about this lately and saw the problems.

Maybe ping checks to a user created room would make sense.

'Generally' the creators of userrooms are the host themselves(ingame), so basically you look if you have a good connection on that room.

Also users could show their country location.

Spanish users may have better connection with users from their country for example but have miserable connevtion with africa.

But thats also another point we already talked. Country specific rooms ...

Lets see what will come first and next

i have edited my previous post. please read it.

we could solve the problem if we could make smaller rooms (let say 18 players max) and with a title host leader.

i would like to thank u all for the respond :)

i have edited my previous post. please read it.

we could solve the problem if we could make smaller rooms (let say 18 players max) and with a title host leader.

i would like to thank u all for the respond :)

why 1 hr ban? why not just deny him? and you are still missing the point swizz was saying, for example: i could just as easily start up youtube/downloading while in game(when ping check isn't being made) and still lag you out.. 

so all the hard work put into a "PING test" would be pointless, as anyone could just as easily do what i stated.. and just start youtube/downloading/w.e and lag the game..

• Like 3

why 1 hr ban? why not just deny him? and you are still missing the point swizz was saying, for example: i could just as easily start up youtube/downloading while in game(when ping check isn't being made) and still lag you out.. 

so all the hard work put into a "PING test" would be pointless, as anyone could just as easily do what i stated.. and just start youtube/downloading/w.e and lag the game..

i suggested the 1h ban because otherwise stupid people would be pressing the join button 1000000000000000000x which would induce stress to the server. even a 5min ban would be ok. its just to prevent them from spawning the join button.

and yes i know that they can watch youtube after they join the room. but the majority of people that lag are usually really far away or have really bad internet or they use wireless or their router settup is not ok. so this would prevent all those people from joining the room. and for the few that would watch youtube after they join they would just be kicked. its not a problem to kick few people. but we really have problems now because the room leader has to kick up to 20 people per hour and they keep coming back after 1h ban is over.

and for those that would try to join and would not have the minimum ping required a message would appear: your ping is to high to join the host. for more info please visit: (link to the site that would have the basic explanation of what ping is and how this system works and than few tutorials on how to improve their connection (memebench for ping, qos, bandwidth limiter,...))

i suggested the 1h ban because otherwise stupid people would be pressing the join button 1000000000000000000x which would induce stress to the server. even a 5min ban would be ok. its just to prevent them from spawning the join button.

and yes i know that they can watch youtube after they join the room. but the majority of people that lag are usually really far away or have really bad internet or they use wireless or their router settup is not ok. so this would prevent all those people from joining the room. and for the few that would watch youtube after they join they would just be kicked. its not a problem to kick few people. but we really have problems now because the room leader has to kick up to 20 people per hour and they keep coming back after 1h ban is over.

and for those that would try to join and would not have the minimum ping required a message would appear: your ping is to high to join the host. for more info please visit: (link to the site that would have the basic explanation of what ping is and how this system works and than few tutorials on how to improve their connection (memebench for ping, qos, bandwidth limiter,...))

why not jut create a room with all the people you play with, and slap a passwd on it? problem solved ;-)

heck create a thread in the MatchMaking area of the forum, and PM the pass??

there is 2 options as to solve your "ping limit" problem, and neither of em requires modification to link/plugings/aurora ;-)

• Like 1

why not jut create a room with all the people you play with, and slap a passwd on it? problem solved ;-)

heck create a thread in the MatchMaking area of the forum, and PM the pass??

because we do not want to exclude people who have good connection. there are 350 people that play bo2. 200 have atleast an ok connection so how can i give the password to all of them? this is the reason why we are searching a way to exclude the minimal number of players.

because we do not want to exclude people who have good connection. there are 350 people that play bo2. 200 have atleast an ok connection so how can i give the password to all of them? this is the reason why we are searching a way to exclude the minimal number of players.

so you want options like "Live" has, to stop people with crappy connections from joining, without paying? (this is what i am taking from your request)

and you could always PM them when NOVA gets released in the future, OR use LinkChat for the time being.. to communicate with everyone?? there are still multiple ways to do the stuff you are asking w/o the dev team spending time on semi-useless stuff as 20 people could jump in, and then download every 5 mins, requiring them to be kicked.. and who ever is room leader wouldn't get to play?? 

ALSO, what if someone's kid jumps on youtube while they are playing? 1hr ban for them too?? i understand you don't like people with crappy connections playing, but guess what? Live has them too ;-) and that is all regional as-is.. (no one from "africa" "brazil" plays on US severs)

• Like 1

if the nova chat would have an group option, than we could make a group and each day we would think of another password so that even if a retard gets a hand on it it would be usefull only for 1 day.

and thats why i suggested an 1h ban before they can try to connect again. and they will try to connect for few days and after that they will know that there is no way in hell that they can join and they wont even try anymore.

the room leader does not play now. link loads very slow agai and he alwasy has to kick people. if there would be a max ping limit 90% of all the people that we have to kick now, wouldent even be abe too join.

nd yes i know that people from brazil also are people and i have nothing against them. but all i want is that brazilians play together and get a kick ass connection and that europe guys play together and also get a great connection. this way all players gain a lot. because i also would not be able to join brazilians because my ping is to high for them. actually the only people that would have an issue are those on wireless and those who did not setup their router correctly and thats why we would dirrect them to a site where there would be tutorials on how to make the connection better.

if the nova chat would have an group option, than we could make a group and each day we would think of another password so that even if a retard gets a hand on it it would be usefull only for 1 day.

and thats why i suggested an 1h ban before they can try to connect again. and they will try to connect for few days and after that they will know that there is no way in hell that they can join and they wont even try anymore.

the room leader does not play now. link loads very slow agai and he alwasy has to kick people. if there would be a max ping limit 90% of all the people that we have to kick now, wouldent even be abe too join.

and if you chatted with them through "text messages"/LinkChat/matchmaking area of this site/ect. and share the pass that way, you wouldn't have to deal with em at ALL!!

What the productive request would be is, "Can we have a MOTD/Topic to rooms?" so we can filter people to ask thru PM on here for the pass??

and LiNK isn't slow for me.. maybe it is your connection?

nd yes i know that people from brazil also are people and i have nothing against them. but all i want is that brazilians play together and get a kick ass connection and that europe guys play together and also get a great connection. this way all players gain a lot. because i also would not be able to join brazilians because my ping is to high for them. actually the only people that would have an issue are those on wireless and those who did not setup their router correctly and thats why we would dirrect them to a site where there would be tutorials on how to make the connection better.

Well i understand your statements.. but you're basically asking for segregation of rooms by region(in the hud), and it is pointless to do so, because of this: http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/forum/42-matchmaking/

Use that to limit who joins your room, don't play in public rooms, as that is what the public rooms are for.. EVERYONE.. and you are asking for that to be nixed because you refuse to use the "matchmaking area" and just want people to not join YOUR room because of connection, USE THE MATCHMAKING AREA and CREATE A PASSWORD!! problem = solved!

and if you chatted with them through "text messages"/LinkChat/matchmaking area of this site/ect. and share the pass that way, you wouldn't have to deal with em at ALL!!

What the productive request would be is, "Can we have a MOTD/Topic to rooms?" so we can filter people to ask thru PM on here for the pass??

and LiNK isn't slow for me.. maybe it is your connection?

i agree sharing the pass with multiple people at once would also be a way to solve the problem.

for link yesterday it disconnected a lot of times in the evening and it was loading 2 mins before we could see the rooms. and everyone got disconnected so it was not my issue.

and about my suggestions... thats all they are, they are suggestions. the developers can say: f*** u luky u piece of s*** we wont do it and i would say: u guys have the burden of coding and i respect what u said.

i am not forcing no one, i just want to be an active member of the community and try to help..

Well i understand your statements.. but you're basically asking for segregation of rooms by region(in the hud), and it is pointless to do so, because of this: http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/forum/42-matchmaking/

Use that to limit who joins your room, don't play in public rooms, as that is what the public rooms are for.. EVERYONE.. and you are asking for that to be nixed because you refuse to use the "matchmaking area" and just want people to not join YOUR room because of connection, USE THE MATCHMAKING AREA and CREATE A PASSWORD!! problem = solved!

yes i see there is a lot of activity on the matchmaking site.... (sarcasm)

i would write something and would get a reply 3 days later :D

i do not speak only for my self. i play a lot and this is a common problem among people on bo2.

and again all i do is try to help. i am not forcing anyone to do anything. and if developers need help with a issue that is not coding related i would gladly help if i can.

Maybe you can help make it more popular? tell ppl to use it, the more ppl that use it the more active it becomes, right now they don't use it, why? probably because they don't realize it's there, or they just don't care to think about it as a solution to the problems you're all having with randoms joining in with bad connections causing issues in the games...

if i ping myself to brazil the ping is 350ms (3,5s)...

the max that system link allowes without the ping patch is 30ms....

this is what we want to avoid.

i agree sharing the pass with multiple people at once would also be a way to solve the problem.

for link yesterday it disconnected a lot of times in the evening and it was loading 2 mins before we could see the rooms. and everyone got disconnected so it was not my issue.

and about my suggestions... thats all they are, they are suggestions. the developers can say: f*** u luky u piece of s*** we wont do it and i would say: u guys have the burden of coding and i respect what u said.

i am not forcing no one, i just want to be an active member of the community and try to help..

i do not speak only for my self. i play a lot and this is a common problem among people on bo2.

and again all i do is try to help. i am not forcing anyone to do anything. and if developers need help with a issue that is not coding related i would gladly help if i can.

and this is where i state my answer again: "The more productive request would be for a MOTD/Topic for the rooms" or better yet when you go to enter the passwd, a message comes up saying "Go here to request it?" 

i didn't say you are forcing anyone, but you/your friends you play with, lack of using something that is there already, AND COMPLAINING about PUBLIC rooms, is pointless.. create a PRIVATE room, or stfu..

and i SHOULD change this to only say YOU, as YOU are the only one COMPLAINING about it on here?? as there are average of 200+ other people not creating threads about this?

MAYBE they understand the term "PUBLIC" vs "PRIVATE"??

and i am in no way affiliated with the staff.. so don't take what i say against them.. i am just answering your questions with USEFUL info

if i ping myself to brazil the ping is 350ms (3,5s)...

the max that system link allowes without the ping patch is 30ms....

this is what we want to avoid.

Your math sucks, 350ms is 0.35s, 1000 milliseconds == 1 second

Milli = 1/1000

Deci = 1/100

atleast that's what i learned in school, idk about you?

And yeah, locally you generally don't go above 30ms, which is why they put that as the limit, normal ping without issues would probably be around 100-200~, the higher you go, the more likely it is you'll be lagging

Also, keep in mind that some brazilians may have low ping to you aswell, or the other way around... i'm constantly connecting to american servers from europe, it's not like those are much further away then brazilians... it's just, brazil don't have the same level of infrastructure for internet connections as we do where i live for instance

• Like 1

Maybe you can help make it more popular? tell ppl to use it, the more ppl that use it the more active it becomes, right now they don't use it, why? probably because they don't realize it's there, or they just don't care to think about it as a solution to the problems you're all having with randoms joining in with bad connections causing issues in the games...

swizzy if u will say we wont do it i will stfu and end the story. problem solved.

what about smaller room size? because even if people with 1mb upload make a room they cant prevent more than 10 people to join their game and again everyone lags.

i would be glad to offer my connection and host for 10 people but as soon as more join i have to finish the game. and i guess i am not the only one with 1mb connection.

Your math sucks, 350ms is 0.35s, 1000 milliseconds == 1 second

Milli = 1/1000

Deci = 1/100

atleast that's what i learned in school, idk about you?

And yeah, locally you generally don't go above 30ms, which is why they put that as the limit, normal ping without issues would probably be around 100-200~, the higher you go, the more likely it is you'll be lagging

Also, keep in mind that some brazilians may have low ping to you aswell, or the other way around... i'm constantly connecting to american servers from europe, it's not like those are much further away then brazilians... it's just, brazil don't have the same level of infrastructure for internet connections as we do where i live for instance

oh yeah sorry. i guess between learning in school how to hunt squirelss and how to skin a bear i wasnt listening on how to convert. :D

thats why i dont want to ban people based on their region but based on their ping. if their ping would be lower than the max that would be set, they can join with no problem. we usually have problems with brazilians thats why i used them as an example.

Smaller rooms might be a thing we can do, but, the fact still remains that the rooms don't actually control how many join your game, i understand that private rooms are more likely to only have a single host, but...

I cannot speak for the entire team about what we will and will not do, however, i try to reply with things i know we won't even consider doing based on previous replies from the devs

Most of these things will not be coming to life any time soon either way, as we're still not ready for initial testing of NOVA by end-users, we've done some tests to check that the system is working, but we're approaching the point where we need to do a bit more stress testing

Most things that you guys request will likely be added later on as we're mainly focused on getting it all up and running right now with the stuff we've already planned to add, but, if your requests don't take too much time or so, it'll be included with first version, only time will tell what gets implemented and not :)

And yeah, i'm trying to help you solve the problem in the mean time aswell, there are solutions for most of these problems already available, they're not as simple or elegant as the ones you're requesting, but they'll work for the time being...

• Like 1

swizzy if u will say we wont do it i will stfu and end the story. problem solved.

what about smaller room size? because even if people with 1mb upload make a room they cant prevent more than 10 people to join their game and again everyone lags.

i would be glad to offer my connection and host for 10 people but as soon as more join i have to finish the game. and i guess i am not the only one with 1mb connection.

I have a 5mb upload connection, doesn't change what others have, and that's how fast it takes in reality, their output to you.. 

and i'm not affiliated with the staff... so feel free to bitch at me, take your anger out on me, all i have done was give you answers on how to do the stuff you are requesting ;-) and i will just laugh at your comments.. but for real.. public is exactly that, public, now in USER created rooms, i could see your option being implemented, but for the default public rooms, no..