RealModScene
StaticPulse

Anyone know how to embed sounds into skin?

I have a few sound wav's that I ripped off an old Mechwarrior II install disc that I'd eventually like to build a skin around. I'm really new to the scene and would like some information on where I can go to find tutorials on skinning and embedding sounds into skins.

Could someone steer me in the right direction?

sounds.rar

the simplest way I know is for FSD skins they will need to be converted to XMA files and then just replace the existing XMA files in the skin that are labeled for each action(scroll,enter, etc). or edit and add the sounds where you want them to play in a given scenes timeline in that scenes XUR file.

I have not even attempted to put sounds into Aurora skins (and In my testing it does not play video backgrounds in the skin either),,given that, and the fact it does not have action "sounds" by default I would have to assume the audio engine code(and xmv video code) is not implemented in the app as it is just excess "fat" that really adds nothing for functionality and of course uses valuable and limited resources that would be better utilized by adding something of actual function.

• Like 2

the simplest way I know is for FSD skins they will need to be converted to XMA files and then just replace the existing XMA files in the skin that are labeled for each action(scroll,enter, etc). or edit and add the sounds where you want them to play in a given scenes timeline in that scenes XUR file.

I have not even attempted to put sounds into Aurora skins (and In my testing it does not play video backgrounds in the skin either),,given that, and the fact it does not have action "sounds" by default I would have to assume the audio engine code(and xmv video code) is not implemented in the app as it is just excess "fat" that really adds nothing for functionality and of course uses valuable and limited resources that would be better utilized by adding something of actual function.

Well, at least I have an answer.

Sounds are trivial. You basically have enough resources in Aurora.

They are actually a nice output to recognize user actions. If there will be any sounds in future i wouldnt make them as loud as in fsd. Keep them simple as they can be annoying.

They are actually a nice output to recognize user actions. If there will be any sounds in future i wouldnt make them as loud as in fsd. Keep them simple as they can be annoying.

You sure the sounds engine is trivial? ;)

When you already did it once, maybe.

begallegal1 didn't mean talk about how easy/hard it is to implement it, he was talking about the resources in general required to do so in terms of memory usage, cpu usage etc. etc.

Are sounds really that important?

• Like 1

begallegal1 didn't mean talk about how easy/hard it is to implement it, he was talking about the resources in general required to do so in terms of memory usage, cpu usage etc. etc.

Are sounds really that important?

it`s very convinient to have some feedback on your actions.

i somehow has managed to get animation sound play when aurora`s coverflow is loaded, but with the lack of experience i wasn`t able to move further

• Like 1

Yes swizzy, and there is around 512mb ram and 3x 3ghz available for Aurora. Tell me its not enough.

I wouldn't care if it was a 100 x 30ghz processor with 100TB of RAM, it's still pointless, and the power can be used for something else ;)

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, sound isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

• Like 2

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, sound isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

this sentence can be applied to almost any function in aurora...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, conectX isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, skins isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, assets isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

and so on...

all i want ot say is many features are ""nice" for some... but not everyone..."

this sentence can be applied to almost any function in aurora...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, conectX isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, skins isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

The goal of Aurora is to have a nice, simple interface without alot of useless stuff, assets isn't all that important, it's "nice" for some... but not everyone...

and so on...

all i want ot say is many features are ""nice" for some... but not everyone..."

Yeah, but the functions we have there now are actual functions, they do something, sound for instance is pointless, it doesn't really help anyone... it doesn't change anything...

Yeah, but the functions we have there now are actual functions, they do something, sound for instance is pointless, it doesn't really help anyone... it doesn't change anything...

actual functins can be useless too. i mean, what`s the point of viewing trailer or screens from xbox.com if you already have that game? what`s the point of quick browse if it`s the same gamelist, just without covers?

sounds don`t add any functional improvements, but they add some colors to the experience of using aurora

• Like 1

Well sounds arent much important than other functionality, that't true. Maybe you can make "Menu" sounds optional, like Smart phone/TV software. Especially Aurora sometimes needs sound response in some case. Sometimes you don't know if you actually clicked a button and Aurora is doing something. And i still think sound resources are trivial. My opinion on this is just put that in mind for someday. A cool optional feature would be interesting for "both sides". Who knows what comes next, and what not

actual functins can be useless too. i mean, what`s the point of viewing trailer or screens from xbox.com if you already have that game? what`s the point of quick browse if it`s the same gamelist, just without covers?

sounds don`t add any functional improvements, but they add some colors to the experience of using aurora

Still all of those functions have a use, what if you have a friend over that checks your console, they see a game they haven't played before, they wanna know what it is: they look at the trailer (if there is one) or the screenshots...

For the other feature you mentioned, it's a different view giving you a better overview of what you have, and in 0.5b it also allows you to do a custom search filter...

• Like 1

the best way to lear about any game is to play it. if you have chance to try game itself why bother wathcing trailers? trailers won`t show you gameplay, even graphics in trailers differs from one in game.

and what if my friend checks my console and won`t hear any sounds or music which are commonly used nowadays in menus? so he`ll think there is some problem with sound and will start to adjust volume or maybe do other unnecessary things...

We are off topic now. Then i can say this: the previews should be showable in full screen. No one can watch small pics properly but i guess this is on the list.

I was able to add wav sound files to fsd3 themes by adding sound clip into xui file. Im assuming the same can be done for aurora by editing xui files.

Adjust volumes of sounds with audio editors.

We haven't disabled sounds from use in Aurora Skins-  we have only opted to not include them in the default skin.   The only events where sound is not going to work is when moving through coverflow or flipping / adjust coverflow cameras; but, if its down to audio/visual cues, then I think the visual cue is pretty apparent that its working.

So that said- if you really want sounds in your skin- it is possible to include them with XUI tool.

Look forward to seeing what you guys create!

Default skin with sounds. Hmm ok. Would be cooler to mute sound and optionally activate. Some people need sound and some dont. Anyway.

• Like 2