RealModScene
vicviper74

Hello New Member, with 360 MOD Questions

Hello My Name is Victor, I am a modding nut.

Dreamcast (Creating Custom Emu discs)

X1 (Chipped and Softwaremod UAE)  

Wii (awesome, but not powerful enough)

and Androids

So if you tell me to do something hopefully I'll get it right and wont ask allot of questions.

As 360 mods options change/update, So do their software and features. As I got older and a better job, I am now able to afford more and paying for my gaming habits are a little easier. So modding wasn't as much as a necessity,

But my brother recently gave me his old Jtag 360. and I say "old" cause he has not touched it in years, LIKE 5. I am fearful to turn it on and mess with the setting because once it brick there may be no revival.

So I have a few quick questions.

1. How do I know what dash I'm running and what method of modding was used to get this xbox modded. (for backup purposes)
  2. I would like to post that information, and as what's the best way to go about upgrading, is that ok?
  3. When I do upgrade the dash, I would like a dash that is same all the way through. When entering an leaving emu's. 

My goal is to make a cool retro AIO arcade machine, If you have done this, I would be grateful for your advise. Software wise, there are a few options for each retro system, and it good to know the pros and cons of each. My "number one" would be the most important.

If I overstepped my bounds. I will leave.

Thank you for reading.

Victor

1. You can use Simple 360 NAND Flasher 1.3b or later to get most information you need, as it's 5 years old it's likely going to be a JTAG and not RGH, the dump will tell you more about it, if you load it in xeBuild GUI it should tell you what combination was used, if it doesn't, send me your dump and i'll look closer at it to help you out on that part...

2. I'd recommend reading this tutorial: http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/ it also explains how you can dump your nand using Simple 360 NAND Flasher (you can find 1.4b on this forum if you search for it)

3. Well, the kernel is really what you want to be upgrading, other then that, you might want to replace FSD with Aurora (if FSD is installed which most shops do, even lot's of others tend to setup FSD as autoboot) If you don't have FSD or XEXMenu autobooting it's easy to setup using the Dashlaunch installer...

About Emulators... there are 2 types of emulators; Those that were compiled with the XDK (xex files) or those that were compiled with Libxenon (xenon.elf files) they're started in different ways, libxenon ones only work if you start them using XeLL or similar, using the filemanager of Aurora you can however launch them from there aswell

About bricking your console... i can fix ANY software brick quite easily, it may require additional hardware to connect to the motherboard, but i can still fix it, so can anyone else that knows a thing or two about these hacks, as long as you've got a dump of the nand, all anyone has to do is just write that dump back to make it work again, however there are cases where that's not working either due to a bad read or similar, in those cases you need someone with more experience (such as myself) to build you a new nand without those issues

keep 360 disconnected from net for the time being,until you can confirm you have xbox live disabled in microsoft dash,also don't use any 360 game discs in case a system update gets installed

Old fat console up to 2009 - maybe jtag (boots without need to turn off & try again)  or rgh chip - may require multiple attempts of booting to get to dash

slim 360 -rgh chip only

i usually boot to original microsoft dash to get dash version,however dashlaunch (portable homebrew for 360) can also be used to get system info

freestyledash (fsd) has limited system info,all of which you should post to give more knowledgeable members the info they require,turning the 360 on won't brick anything as you'll need to regardless

keep 360 disconnected from net for the time being,until you can confirm you have xbox live disabled in microsoft dash,also don't use any 360 game discs in case a system update gets installed

Old fat console up to 2009 - maybe jtag (boots without need to turn off & try again)  or rgh chip - may require multiple attempts of booting to get to dash

slim 360 -rgh chip only

i usually boot to original microsoft dash to get dash version,however dashlaunch (portable homebrew for 360) can also be used to get system info

freestyledash (fsd) has limited system info,all of which you should post to give more knowledgeable members the info they require,turning the 360 on won't brick anything as you'll need to regardless

Disabling in the MS Dash doesn't make that much of a difference, it's better to disable it using dashlaunch

makes note

Ditto

I will go home and look into all your recommendations. especially disabling the xbox dash boot. I have an unmodded slim already. I'm glad you told me about the No disk on boot, I remember now, they had updates in them as well right? tricky MS!

Ditto

I will go home and look into all your recommendations. especially disabling the xbox dash boot. I have an unmodded slim already. I'm glad you told me about the No disk on boot, I remember now, they had updates in them as well right? tricky MS!

They do, but you have to actively accept disk-based updates