RealModScene
Chris Craddock

Jtag'ed system boots, opens fsd and freezes after 1 min or so?

Hello

I recently got my system jtaged with the matrix glitcher chip by a third party. I took it home to test and it takes a long time to load fsd and when it does it freezes after 1 min or so?

The servicer who installed the chip and did the mod said it needed to be reflowed? He was able to do that. He also mentioned it needed an xclamp. He was unable to do that because he said it was very difficult to remove the chip from the board.

Needless to say I have done that it was not very difficult. I was able to remove my board from the xbox case. However I am not sure what is causing the FSD to freeze? I can get it to boot a game but it will not go past the title without freezing. This also happens with two diferent hard drives.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know why my system is freezing?

2) What is an X Clamp?

3) What is a Reflow?

4) Will the XClamp Fix it?

5) Im trying to re-install FSD but Im having trouble with geting any of the file managers to work with my harddrives

Please help :hope:

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

post-55825-0-30892900-1426023016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

1. Lot's of possible reasons;

Bad write

Bad chip

Bad CPU/GPU/RAM (RROD)

Bad installation

2. That X you've got underneath your motherboard is called an X-Clamp

3. Reflow is the process of reheating your motherboard to make the components stick to it again properly (CPU/GPU/RAM) a Reball is when you replace the balls underneath said components... this lasts longer than a Reflow

4. Maybe, maybe not, depends on what the original problem comes from, did you have this problem before leaving it with these guys? if not; it's likely a failure on their part (bad installation/chip/write)

5. PC or Xbox 360 apps?

Also, your system doesn't have JTAG, it has RGH or RGH2

Awesome

Thanks so much for your input! :thumbup:

What do you think are some good ways to test what is wrong, to diagnose the issue. Are there ways to trial and error and see what it can be?

I asked for a jtag is RGH any different?

No freezing before I got the job done, he also refuses to spend anymore time on it.

Thanks again!

Awesome

What do you think are some good ways to test what is wrong, to diagnose the issue. Are there ways to trial and error and see what it can be?

No freezing before I got the job done, he also refuses to spend anymore time on it.

Thanks again!

If there was no problem before you took it to the third party to have it rgh or jtagged then the problem is almost certainly bad chip or bad installation on there part i would take it back and ask them to fix it

Sent from around the corner

• Like 1

I have and he gave me the "need to be reflowed and xclamp" He also had to go to another person for help and he was complaining that he had to spend a lot of gas. He is a bit of a jerk and it also took him 6 months to get it back to me. Im affraid he will have it for a year next time. He gave me the number of the other guy that helped him.

Could it be soldier points? I read that it ended up being a bad grounding wire?

I was thinking about maybe trying to re-install FSD and put the newest version. I also read certain emulators can give you greif too.

The file manager I need is for windows. So I can read the drives and rewrite them.

Thanks again for the quick resonse :)

What type of console is it, falcons are known for crap glitch times on rgh2, and are also known for doing just this. The glitch timing there isnt much you can do, other then add a cpu_rst cleaner, and adjusting CPU_RST length.

As for the freezing issue, look into power mode, and power vcs in the smc config. Just google falcon freeze rgh 2, and you will find plenty of guides on how to fix that problem. If the system is booting, and not getting RROD, and there arent wierd symbols on the screen, then the console does not need reflowed, and your installer is an idiot.

As swizzy said, these problems can also be caused by bad flash, but usually you cant even get to FSD for it to freeze, it will freeze at the boot screen.

• Like 1

Awesome

Thanks again!

The end result (once the console has started) is the same for both JTAG and RGH, however, how to get there differs between the 2, JTAG is 3 bridges with 2 diodes (once the NAND has been reflashed) very very simple, RGH on the other hand require an actual chip and is ALOT more work to get working as it requires you to avoid certain components, route your wires in a certain way, make sure you have a good ground etc. etc.

Where do you live? i'm sure there are others which are better at doing this kind of stuff then these guys, if they take 6 months and then say this to you, they don't know what they're doing, especially when the guy you took it to went to yet another guy to have it fixed... this means that he's not all that good...

You said you had it taken apart? can you take some pictures of any wires connected to the Matrix Glitcher? and some closeups on each of the soldering points aswell as the chip itself?

• Like 1

Thanks again for your help! Here are some photos. I have a good soldiering iron that is temp controlled. Do you think I should try fixing any connections? I am in Toronto, maybe I should find someone to take a look at it? I dont think I want to use the same guy who was the forth party that help the third party because between both of them they still didnt get it going?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

post-55825-0-76370400-1426081335_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-57243100-1426081364_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-23236800-1426081391_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-55147700-1426081420_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-84530800-1426081447_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-20840600-1426081474_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-63455500-1426081501_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-83580600-1426081531_thumb.jpg

post-55825-0-46676600-1426081558_thumb.jpg

This appears to be rgh1, which should boot close to instant, if any decent installer did it. I didnt see the cpu_pll_bypass point though. What console type is it? IF you dont know, post a picture of the power port, and if it has HDMI. I know RGH1 Jaspers have freezing issues also, but this is fixable with the cpu_pll_bypass filter. Which is basically just a board with like 3 caps to choose from, that go between cpu_pll_bypass and gnd.

• Like 1

Do you think a different chip would solve the issue?

I wonder if thats the course of action I have to take or if there is a fix with this chip.

Sorry Im a newb.

Would it be good to try to reinstall FSD. I believe I have the newest version on my comp but I was having trouble working with the file manager for windows... Which one do you recommend?

Attached is a pic of my serial number and info (hope it helps)

Thanks so much!

Chris

post-55825-0-12941700-1426099453_thumb.jpg

This has RGH2, not RGH, and the installation is a MESS!

Yeah, it's likely the install causing the problems, find someone better and have them install CR4 instead, those work much much better

• Like 2

This has RGH2, not RGH, and the installation is a MESS!

Yeah, it's likely the install causing the problems, find someone better and have them install CR4 instead, those work much much better

My bad, I mainly use TX chips, and didnt see the F pad soldered to, so I just assumed it was rgh1. and yes the install is a complete mess, but the soldering looks good at least.

• Like 1

Yikes!

Do you think I need to get a whole new system for this? Did he mess up my unit? or can I remove this chip and put the other one in?

You can just remove it, but, if you're not good with soldering, let whoever installs the new chip remove the old one... that way YOU don't cause damage to the console

Like gavin said, the soldering points themselves look ok, however the wiring method is a mess, and well... since it's RGH2 it's pretty much a miracle that it works at all xD

• Like 2

I put the xbox back together and now Im getting this message (attached) I dont know what is going on but everything seemed to go in the right place. Does anyone know the culprit? I have a feeling I should use some fresh thermal paste?

This xbox has been a nightmare and this jerk who installed the mod messed it up :unsure:  It was suppose to be a birthday present and it was 6 months late and not working :wallbash:

Is my only option to install another ship or can I do something to fix this current one?

Does anyone know of any people in Toronto, besides leetmods?

Thanks

Chris

post-55825-0-94835300-1426114307_thumb.jpg

I put the xbox back together and now Im getting this message (attached) I dont know what is going on but everything seemed to go in the right place. Does anyone know the culprit? I have a feeling I should use some fresh thermal paste?

This xbox has been a nightmare and this jerk who installed the mod messed it up :unsure:  It was suppose to be a birthday present and it was 6 months late and not working :wallbash:

Is my only option to install another ship or can I do something to fix this current one?

Does anyone know of any people in Toronto, besides leetmods?

Thanks

Chris

Well, you did remove the x-clamps/heatsinks, did you put the heatsinks back? did you put the fan back in? did you put new thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU?

I need new thermal paste... Im a retard. Sorry!

It's one of the things every computer tech knows, if you remove the heatsink from a CPU/GPU or similar (where there was thermal paste between before) you should ALWAYS replace the thermal paste as the connection won't be 100% when you put it back again, and there's a chance that there are air pockets or something else in between causing the thermal paste to lose effect...

I wish i knew more canadians, but i don't... so i can't really help you much with finding someone that's good at what they do near you :(

• Like 1