RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
saywaking

XDK + new Visual Studio?

Hi,

is it possible to use the XDK with the newer Visual Studio's like 2012 or 2013?

I know that XNA is working, but im curious why it does not work with the official XDK? I hope you can explain me why it does not work.

Thank you

XNA is using the Net.Framework Visual C#, the official XDK is using C/C++, and you can it use only in connection with the Visual Studio 2010 IDE.

I know that. I just want to know what dependencies there are for the XDK so that it does only work with 2010, but not with above.

The XDK Extension for Visual Studio are written with the Visual Studio SDK. I guess that some of the used Libraries, Assemblys are access to specific functions to the relevant Visual Studio Version. You should ask your question better here.

• Like 1

I already asked there, but i guess asking experienced devs here would help me alot. ID@Xbox did not even explain why it does not work, they just say stay with it.

Well if i don't get an answer here, i keep searching then.

I already asked there, but i guess asking experienced devs here would help me alot. ID@Xbox did not even explain why it does not work, they just say stay with it.

Well if i don't get an answer here, i keep searching then.

Only microsoft truely knows why, but it's basically not integrating the required tools and such in any version other then 2010... the xdk installer i mean...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It does not matter, if you using a higher version of Visual Studio. More important  is that you have a current XDK version, to compile Code, that is running on current dashboards.

I know nothing about your programming skills, but. if you want to get in programming, I would look for a slim IDE such as Eclipse. About 80 percent of the features of Visual Studio are irrelevant, for newbie programmer.

Eclipse != slim ;)

But its not about that. I just wanted to know if an integration into newer versions is possible, because i have to work with new Versions. Why should i keep hundred of IDEs for certain purposes? Look, the idea behind the XDK and IDE separation is not accomplished. That's it. i doubt there are dependencies. XNA and WP SDK is also manually changeable in their upgradeable Version elements. What we see is that they want to let die the old and push the new ones. That's M$.

On top of that, the latest XDK is for 16547 i think, haven't seen one around that is for 16747+ that i can remember, but... then again, i don't work for a company that has contracts with microsoft to get the XDK updates xD

• Like 1

XNA and WP SDK is also manually changeable in their upgradeable Version elements.

I have told you, you cant compare the XNA & XDK. The XNA (was phased out ) is a small Framework, the XDK is as far beyond and big. The XDK contains hundreds of different extensions for C/C++, HLSL, DirectX & Assembler, CPU & GPU Extensions and so on. The XNA Framework is much easier to Update for Microsoft such as the XDK. For a professional programmer, it does not matter whether he created his projects on a VS2010 or VS 2013. If you want to now, why not more recent Visual Studio versions are supported, ask in Microsoft Developer Network.

Eclipse != slim ;)

because i have to work with new Versions.

May I just ask, what you want to do on the XDK ?

• Like 1