RealModScene
Shuraim Ahmet

Using external HD for dual purpose

Hey guys I have a 1TB EXT HD which is fat32 and currently I'm using it on my xbox 360 to play games on my rgh console. I have a lot of spare capacity in that EXT HD and now I want to backup my pc's ghost image on to it but the problem is I cannot make an image file of more than 4GB on fat32 HD so is there a way I can work around something so I can use that EXT HD for both xbox and PC backup.

Cheerz.

I would've opted for that too. There must be some software available to divide a hard drive into several partitions. Good luck.

• Like 1

check settings of your imaging software it should be able to create multiple files of desired size in other words like a rar download which consists of multiple files of say 1gb or whatever,in your case around 3700gb per file

Ā 

minitool partition manager is free as in no money & not shareware if you want to create a primary ntfs partition

• Like 1

check settings of your imaging software it should be able to create multiple files of desired size in other words like a rar download which consists of multiple files of say 1gb or whatever,in your case around 3700gb per file

Ā 

minitool partition manager is free as in no money & not shareware if you want to create a primary ntfs partition

Hey mate, I've downloaded minitool partition wizard so first I am going to backup my xbox data on my ext HD so that I don't lose it if anything goes wrong and then I'd be adding a NTFS partition tomy drive and then my backup my pc data. Is that right? Or there's another easy way for doing it like can u plz suggest an imaging software so I can directly backup my pc data on my fat32 ext hd without doing all that.

Cheerz

easeus todo backup v5.5Ā Ā  Never update it or you'll loose the ability to go below normal compression,i normally create single image system files which means all of C drive & use medium compression option,i wouldn't recommend going below that:.. download below

for normal data saving like photo's etc i just use drag n drop or copy paste however i don't let explorer do the file copy instead i use teracopy,the pro version can be got with serial you know where,be sure to read comments first tho safe uploaders have skulls denoting their reputation,latest is v2.3.Easeus can be set to make regular backups of docs & settings if required or specific files & folders

Ā 

copy & paste full line below to browser web search it will open mega file download

https://mega.co.nz/#!KBMXkBhQ!UEPKYPabLFDvKDuPD49pacGPr8JU46befwFOnRUXNEM

Ā 

you need to have multiple backups on different drives a min of 2 tho 3 would be better in case of hdd failure

Ā 

Edit: if you install tercopy you have option before copy starts to use teracopy or explorer to enable this function click the button "more" then menu then preferences,place a tick in the box that says confirm drag & drop,you will now be able to select which copier you want to use

Ā 

other file copy utility is called microsoft rich tools

Ā 

edit 2: i normally don't backup data before creating a partition however it would be best to save any data before proceeding to create an extended partition,then after the extending has been done you can now go ahead & create the ntfs format partition

1-open minitool & right click on the drive you want to modify

2-click on resize/move & use slider to create free space after the fat32 partition remember to leave free space for the fat partition say 20% or more

3-clik apply button & let it do it's thing DO NOT DO ANYTHING AT THIS POINT TO DISRUPT THE PROCESS OR ANY OTHER PROCESS AFTER APPLY HAS BEEN CLICKED

4-once above is done right clik on now new free space & create an extended partition now clik apply or you could create a primary in which case select ntfs as the format & a name BACKUP ,me i'd most probably create a primary,now click apply

5-create a new ntfs partition & select a drive number & assign a name for ntfs partition BACKUP, in the now free space available if you created an extended partition & hit apply

• Like 1

easeus todo backup v5.5Ā Ā  Never update it or you'll loose the ability to go below normal compression,i normally create single image system files which means all of C drive & use medium compression option,i wouldn't recommend going below that:.. download below

for normal data saving like photo's etc i just use drag n drop or copy paste however i don't let explorer do the file copy instead i use teracopy,the pro version can be got with serial you know where,be sure to read comments first tho safe uploaders have skulls denoting their reputation,latest is v2.3.Easeus can be set to make regular backups of docs & settings if required or specific files & folders

Ā 

copy & paste full line below to browser web search it will open mega file download

https://mega.co.nz/#!KBMXkBhQ!UEPKYPabLFDvKDuPD49pacGPr8JU46befwFOnRUXNEM

Ā 

you need to have multiple backups on different drives a min of 2 tho 3 would be better in case of hdd failure

Ā 

Edit: if you install tercopy you have option before copy starts to use teracopy or explorer to enable this function click the button "more" then menu then preferences,place a tick in the box that says confirm drag & drop,you will now be able to select which copier you want to use

Ā 

other file copy utility is called microsoft rich tools

Ā 

edit 2: i normally don't backup data before creating a partition however it would be best to save any data before proceeding to create an extended partition,then after the extending has been done you can now go ahead & create the ntfs format partition

1-open minitool & right click on the drive you want to modify

2-click on resize/move & use slider to create free space after the fat32 partition remember to leave free space for the fat partition say 20% or more

3-clik apply button & let it do it's thing DO NOT DO ANYTHING AT THIS POINT TO DISRUPT THE PROCESS OR ANY OTHER PROCESS AFTER APPLY HAS BEEN CLICKED

4-once above is done right clik on now new free space & create an extended partition now clik apply or you could create a primary in which case select ntfs as the format & a name BACKUP ,me i'd most probably create a primary,now click apply

5-create a new ntfs partition & select a drive number & assign a name for ntfs partition BACKUP, in the now free space available if you created an extended partition & hit apply

Hey mate it seems like I've messed up a lil bit... I've uploaded a pic of the current status of my drives... the one with 205 gb is my xbox fat32 data.. any idea how I may recover that.

Thanx

post-13230-0-24973200-1414263580_thumb.png

You'll need another hard drive to transfer any files that can be recovered,the recovery will take a while however there's no guarantee any of won't be corrupted or useable

in the picture you have created free space before the fat32 partition not after,if all you've done is resized & created a fat 32 partition of 205gb thereby leaving the unallocated partition untouched you may be able to use a partition recovery software to restore the original setup,minitool partition recovery is free & can do it,however before doing so you will need to do the following

1-use a data recovery software to retrieve any data

getdataback for fat32 is not free piratebay would be a good place to get it

photorec may work

recuva may work using deep scan

linux rescue tux & other linux recovery software can be used to recover missing data

Ā 

web searching on how to recover data is another option

Ā 

warning before doing a partition recovery you will need to create a backup image of the hard drive using the option sector by sector,this would allow a test run on partition recover on a file instead of the actual hdd,at this point it's important not to make any changes to the drive in question

• Like 1

You'll need another hard drive to transfer any files that can be recovered,the recovery will take a while however there's no guarantee any of won't be corrupted or useable

in the picture you have created free space before the fat32 partition not after,if all you've done is resized & created a fat 32 partition of 205gb thereby leaving the unallocated partition untouched you may be able to use a partition recovery software to restore the original setup,minitool partition recovery is free & can do it,however before doing so you will need to do the following

1-use a data recovery software to retrieve any data

getdataback for fat32 is not free piratebay would be a good place to get it

photorec may work

recuva may work using deep scan

linux rescue tux & other linux recovery software can be used to recover missing data

Ā 

web searching on how to recover data is another option

Ā 

warning before doing a partition recovery you will need to create a backup image of the hard drive using the option sector by sector,this would allow a test run on partition recover on a file instead of the actual hdd,at this point it's important not to make any changes to the drive in question

Thanx again mate. All work finally done... I've created multiple files of 4gb using the program u shared... files are in .PBD format.

Cheerz

you'll need to make sure the games still work

you can also run minitool partition recovery on the drive & see if you can restore original partition layout,if the amount of data didn't exceed the amount of space in the partition labeled unallocated,you should be able to restore the partition & the games that were there,however the partition that's been formatted may not have recoverable data

• Like 1

you'll need to make sure the games still work

you can also run minitool partition recovery on the drive & see if you can restore original partition layout,if the amount of data didn't exceed the amount of space in the partition labeled unallocated,you should be able to restore the partition & the games that were there,however the partition that's been formatted may not have recoverable data

Games still work coz I recopied the backedup games and only few files had red cross against them so i guess they're the ones I lost. :)