RealModScene
alxskater

Installing coolers in Xenon Xbox360

Hi, I want to install coolers in my xenon Xbox360 (saved from the ring of death), but I have some question.

I Found a very powerful Air Blower of 12V-1,32A. If I install it on the power supply solder connector, will not cause any electrical problem, because the electrical consumption depends of the power supply, is that right?

Should I install it in the Xbox360 back coolers connector to let the console set the speed depending the heat? (the air blower have 3 cords)

Where should I blow the air? to the GPU, the CPU or in the middle of both?

black-brushless-dc-cooling-blower-fan-2-

360-fix-melt-pwr2-xlrg.jpg

Info: The back coolers are taking energy from the power supply solder (always run at full speed).

info 2: In Arg we have 220V, that why I use an power supply of 110V-1kw

Can someone helps me?

Thanks.

For what it's worth I use 70mm laptop fans on all of the phat boxes that I service.  I wire these into the dvd tray. Red wire to one of the 12v lines on the tray and black wire to the 3.3v.  This gives me about 9v, which is nice since it isn't too noisy but is still pushing plenty of air.  I then mount the fan with a little hot glue to the air intake grill on the metal shielding of the top case.  This puts the fan directly above the GPU heatsink fin and keeps my GPU's constantly cooler than my CPU.  If you don't have the updated heatsink for the GPU with the extra fin, I'd say it's worth it to get one.  I keep my fans on auto and set my target temps to around 60 C in dashlaunch.  This avoids the hurricane of the 12v mod.  Finally, I always install an H-clamp to help keep my boards level, as a bonus this also helps knock a few degrees off due to the thermal pads that come with the H clamp that are directly under the gpu and cpu.  If you'd like I can post pics, good luck!

• Like 1

I personally don't like drawing power from anything other than the PSU itself. I was always paranoid of damaging a dvd drive or mosfet. Here's a diagram to help ya:

kd4yuAK.jpg

For what it's worth I use 70mm laptop fans on all of the phat boxes that I service.  I wire these into the dvd tray. Red wire to one of the 12v lines on the tray and black wire to the 3.3v.  This gives me about 9v, which is nice since it isn't too noisy but is still pushing plenty of air.  I then mount the fan with a little hot glue to the air intake grill on the metal shielding of the top case.  This puts the fan directly above the GPU heatsink fin and keeps my GPU's constantly cooler than my CPU.  If you don't have the updated heatsink for the GPU with the extra fin, I'd say it's worth it to get one.  I keep my fans on auto and set my target temps to around 60 C in dashlaunch.  This avoids the hurricane of the 12v mod.  Finally, I always install an H-clamp to help keep my boards level, as a bonus this also helps knock a few degrees off due to the thermal pads that come with the H clamp that are directly under the gpu and cpu.  If you'd like I can post pics, good luck!

Thanks, I Will not install the Air Blower because did not fit correctly in the space between the front and the GPU heatsink. That why Im thinking to install 2 coolers, one of 40x40x10 blowing to the GPU heatsink (vertical) and another of 70x70x11 blowing in the console (horizontal) to enforce the air flush that go out with the back coolers (taking energy from the power supply)

Is that the updated heatsink you mean:

open_7.jpg

I will not be able to control the coolers myself, because i will have the original dash in that console.

Can you send me a picture or describe where do you install the 70x70 notebook cooler, please.

I personally don't like drawing power from anything other than the PSU itself. I was always paranoid of damaging a dvd drive or mosfet. Here's a diagram to help ya:

kd4yuAK.jpg

Is my fear too, that why I take energy directly from the power supply (for the back coolers).

If i have my back cooler taking energy from the power supply, can I add another coolers taking energy from the Xbox cooler power supply (picture in the post)? (to let the console control the added coolers and don't run at full speed all the time)

Was this xenon Jtag'd? Either way you can slap all the fans in there ya want (believe me I tried), it's not going to prevent a cold solder joint (causing a RROD). If you take power from the picture I provided, the fans will run at full speed, which I would recommend you do. If you wanted you could install some kind of fan controller, but that seems like overkill. I personally used to always just slap two 80mm fans over the CPU and GPU and call it a day. 

If your machine is JTAG'd, then you can just control the fan speed in dashlaunch. If it isn't Jtag'd and isn't running the blades dash, why are you even messing with a xenon? Just scrap it for parts or soldering practice and get yourself a Jasper board. They run cooler, use less power, don't red ring nearly as much and you can RGH them fairly easy. Good luck man. 

• Like 1

Was this xenon Jtag'd? Either way you can slap all the fans in there ya want (believe me I tried), it's not going to prevent a cold solder joint (causing a RROD). If you take power from the picture I provided, the fans will run at full speed, which I would recommend you do. If you wanted you could install some kind of fan controller, but that seems like overkill. I personally used to always just slap two 80mm fans over the CPU and GPU and call it a day. 

If your machine is JTAG'd, then you can just control the fan speed in dashlaunch. If it isn't Jtag'd and isn't running the blades dash, why are you even messing with a xenon? Just scrap it for parts or soldering practice and get yourself a Jasper board. They run cooler, use less power, don't red ring nearly as much and you can RGH them fairly easy. Good luck man. 

Why you are so hard with that board? I want to use to go live

I'm waiting for part to finish an dual nand Slim Corona, while waiting, I decided to keep this machine working.

Anyway... If I connect an 12v 0,12A with 3 cords to the motherboard coolers connector, does it should work?

If I install a new 70x70x11 cooler (2,16 W) in the case to let the air get in the console, is it a dump idea install it in the original xbox 360 coolers conector? (the original coolers are connected directly to the power supply and will install one 40x40x10 (1,32 W) directly to the CPU heatsink in the power supply too).

Thanks.