RealModScene
ahmedsalem89

game error the game couldn't start try downloading the game again

hi guys,
this is my first thread here, I'm fairly new to the whole XBOX 360 modding.

so my brother gave me his xbox 360 star wars edition, a couple of weeks ago he had someone modify it for him so it can play games from the hard drive, it had XeXMenu 1.2 and Freestyle dashboard, he also had a lot of games on it and every thing was working fine except for one game (GTA V) which gave a bad CD error or something which I ignored until I decided to try and solve it so I went to the game folder in XeXmenu hit Y and chose xex patch just to see what would happen then the error changed to "game error the game couldn't start try downloading the game again" and every other game no gives the same error even the ones that were playable before.

any Ideas what to do?

many thanks in advance

First of all; don't post in the tutorials section unless you are writing a tutorial...

Second; make sure that your kernel version is version 2.0.16747.0 if it's not, that's why it's not working...

Third; don't do things you don't know what they do... read up on the internet to find out what to do when you have problems instead of doing experiments like that... in your case the game will probably not work due to the xex beeing corrupted... but... i'm not sure as i haven't used that feature of xexmenu before... not sure what it does exactly... but it's for sure not used...

sry about posting in the wrong place.
how to check the kernel version also would this cause the games not to work even if they were working great just a couple of hours earlier?

and i did the xex patch to only one game but every other one is not working now while they did before

third, I've been living my whole life doing things i don't know what they do, in order to know what they actually do, makes sense right? and when something goes wrong I search for fixes or post asking for some by helpful people and learn new things along the way instead of not trying at all, I guess as long as i'm not hurting anyone and there's someone out there good enough to share some info or help it's fine right? 

and thanks for your reply

Check the Tutorials section, there should be guides for that...

Yes, it can... if you downloaded a TitleUpdate for the game it may stop working because of that...

I suppose, but... there are problems you can cause which causes things to be very difficult to fix...

I'll check for the version when I get home

and I never downloaded anything or even connected it to the internet since I got it and it was working fine

Hey friend just remove xex menu and re-copy it from ur cd or external hd as u prefer i also mistakenly did hat once and only solution i found was to re-copy xex...just google about downloading xex menu it's free. And alwayd do as Swizzy says he's the champ trust me. :) 

Thanx shurai, i have xex menu 1.2 now on the console which i'm having problems with and i have xex menu 1.1 burnt to a cd but when trying to start it, it says "something went wrong, some data is missing" then "exiting".

should I delete xex menu 1.2 first or shoud I try again with 1.2 using the flash drive method?

btw I checked the version it's "Dashboard: 2.0.16747.0

Thanx shurai, i have xex menu 1.2 now on the console which i'm having problems with and i have xex menu 1.1 burnt to a cd but when trying to start it, it says "something went wrong, some data is missing" then "exiting".

should I delete xex menu 1.2 first or shoud I try again with 1.2 using the flash drive method?

btw I checked the version it's "Dashboard: 2.0.16747.0

Don't copy on the existing xex menu first remove the one installed on your hdd.. and then copy the new one because u don't want to over-wright anything as your previous xex menu is corrupted. And u have the latest Dashboard and Gta v should work.

thanks again Shuraim

there are a lot of tutorials online on how to install XeXmenu using a flash drive and i'm planning on following any of them, But I just can't find how to remove the existing XeXmenu? does it have to be made using a Computer? because I don't have a transfer cable? can it be done through the dashboard or the freestyle dashboard? 

thanks again Shuraim

there are a lot of tutorials online on how to install XeXmenu using a flash drive and i'm planning on following any of them, But I just can't find how to remove the existing XeXmenu? does it have to be made using a Computer? because I don't have a transfer cable? can it be done through the dashboard or the freestyle dashboard?

You can delete it from the regular dashboard, press and hold RB when you boot your console or exit out of a game/homebrew then go to the memory menu on the far right -> and you can delete it from there ;)

thanks again Shuraim

You can delete it from the regular dashboard, press and hold RB when you boot your console or exit out of a game/homebrew then go to the memory menu on the far right -> and you can delete it from there ;)

Swizzy is right. To clarify further just go to settings on regular dashboard->storage->hdd->games and apps->xexloader. Just delete that and install the new one.

Thanks man you're the best

just to make sure I get it right so I can try it as soon I get home from work, you mean after I start up the console and sign in with my profile I should go to settings in the far right, choose storage, and HDD, then what? can the HDD be explored from there? if so what files should I delete ?

sry if I'm asking a lot of questions I just need more elaboration, Thanks a lot for your help and understanding

thanks Shuraim,

I replied before I could see your reply.

you made it clearer Thank you so much for this

I'm gonna set up the flash drive now with XeXmenu 1.2 so I can try as soon as I get home, I'll let you know how it goes.

you are the best guys

All right i'm home now I deleted the existing xex menu 1.2 from settings >storage > HDD >demo and then plugged in the flash drive and copied the freshly downloaded xex menu 1.2 but I still get the same error when trying to start a game " game error: the game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again"

so I did everything again but this time I started xex menu 1.1 from a cd I had xex menu started but gave the same error when trying any game

then I deleted xex menu again and this time tried to launch a game through freestyle dashboard 3 and it also gave the smae error

any ideas?

This probably means that some files may have remained there and didn't get deleted properly. What was the size of the file u deleted?Another easier way to delete it is to go to my games in dashboard press y on xex launcher and simply delete.

I cant't remember the exact size of the file but i thought so too so i deleted xex menu save game from hdd > games > unknown game > xex menu and i also deleted cache from hdd > system settings > system cache but i'm still getting the same error

Any ideas?

I cant't remember the exact size of the file but i thought so too so i deleted xex menu save game from hdd > games > unknown game > xex menu and i also deleted cache from hdd > system settings > system cache but i'm still getting the same error

Any ideas?

Try removing the games, and re-extracting the game(s) that should work...

ok will try as soon as I get home 
but the thing is I don't have the ISO or sources for these games as I'm not the one who put them on the console in the first place, So what I'm planning to do is to download any XBOX 360 ISO off the internet and look for a tutorial how to run them on the console from a flash drive, in fact I'm currently downloading "Payday 2 [MULTI][XBOX360][Region Free][XDG2][COMPLEX] " this should work right??

should I remove the existing games?

ok will try as soon as I get home 

but the thing is I don't have the ISO or sources for these games as I'm not the one who put them on the console in the first place, So what I'm planning to do is to download any XBOX 360 ISO off the internet and look for a tutorial how to run them on the console from a flash drive, in fact I'm currently downloading "Payday 2 [MULTI][XBOX360][Region Free][XDG2][COMPLEX] " this should work right??

should I remove the existing games?

Yes, it should work, and yes you should remove the non-working games, they're useless anyways ;)

what if I just replace the default.xex of a game that used to work before?

that might solve the problem, but there's no garantuee's... you could try it...

will look for a default.xex for a game I have and try it but I don't think it'll be that easy to find the default.xex uploaded anywhere

Yeah, it's alot easier to find the entire game :p

Hi, I have a quick question, the flash drive I'm about to use for the xbox game does it have to be configured through "Configure Now" or "Customize" in the settings > storage > flash drive?   or it just needs to be formatted to FAT32 from windows?