RealModScene
Rodrigo F. Borges

which program should I use to edit skin?

I'm using XZP TOOL to extract the files, but when I open the file for editing using the XUI TOOL of this error.

You need to convert the compiled skin (xur) to xui before you can edit it with xui tool ;)

how to convert the skin to xui ???

Any answer for this please?

I have been searching for an answer to this question for a long time now  :huh: 

Or if anyone can simply provide us with the XUI files of the original Aurora 0.3b skin. Please!  :blushing:

I tried FreeSkinApp which is based on Access and it keeps showing error: problem communicating with OLE Server or ActiveX control

By the way, I tried XUI Workshop and it brings error each time I try to open XUR: Index out of range.

I wanted to try XUITT but I can't because I have Office 64-bit  :sweat: 

XuiTool is the name of the program you need.  Swizzy already mentioned this.   It is part of the Xbox 360 Software Development Kit (SDK A.K.A. XDK)

XuiTool is the name of the program you need.  Swizzy already mentioned this.   It is part of the Xbox 360 Software Development Kit (SDK A.K.A. XDK)

Thanks for replying. Actually I also searched a lot for that and there were many broken download links. I finally found a torrent and a working link. The torrent was an installer exe file (374MB) that didn't contain XuiTool !! The working download link was exctraced files (93MB) that finally contained "XuiTool.exe", but that didn't solve the problem.

XuiTool cannot open (or convert) XUR files which are the only format extracted from the skin XZP.

Even when I was able to get source XUI files of freestyle plugin (Aurora plugin), it still fails to be opened in XuiTool and brings error:

---------------------------
Xbox UI Tool
The class 'XamScene' was not registered.
Check that the XML extension that defines the class is registered in the Options dialog.

Any help please?

Thanks for replying. Actually I also searched a lot for that and there were many broken download links. I finally found a torrent and a working link. The torrent was an installer exe file (374MB) that didn't contain XuiTool !! The working download link was exctraced files (93MB) that finally contained "XuiTool.exe", but that didn't solve the problem.

XuiTool cannot open (or convert) XUR files which are the only format extracted from the skin XZP.

Even when I was able to get source XUI files of freestyle plugin (Aurora plugin), it still fails to be opened in XuiTool and brings error:

Xbox UI Tool
The class 'XamScene' was not registered.
Check that the XML extension that defines the class is registered in the Options dialog.

Any help please?

You need XUI Workshop for that one ;)

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/3260-teamfsd-xuiworkshop-v1000/

I tried it of course, for Aurora skin files it couldn't even open XUR files, brings error: Index out of range

For freestyle plugin files, they are successfully opened in XUI Workshop but when export XUR binary and copy them to Aurora they fail to work!! The plugin doesn't work and brings the original Xbox Guide instead. Even if I didn't change anything and only exported binary of the unmodified XUI.

I tried it of course, for Aurora skin files it couldn't even open XUR files, brings error: Index out of range

For freestyle plugin files, they are successfully opened in XUI Workshop but when export XUR binary and copy them to Aurora they fail to work!! The plugin doesn't work and brings the original Xbox Guide instead. Even if I didn't change anything and only exported binary of the unmodified XUI.

Base XUITool should be able to open xur files extracted from the default.xzp.    What file is giving you index out of range?

Base XUITool should be able to open xur files extracted from the default.xzp.    What file is giving you index out of range?

Many thanks for your interest :)

The index out of range error occurs when opening any Aurora skin (defaukt skin or any other skin) XUR file in XUI Workshop

XUI Tool cannot open xur files, only xui files. And I even had a problem opening xui files in XUI Tools, but I finally managed today to solve this problem.

Please tell me if there is any easy way to open xur directly in XUI Tool

XUI Tool can certainly open XUR files.   You just goto File -> Open -> Change your file filter to All Files (*.*) and select the xur file.  Then you'll want to goto File -> Save As -> and save it as file_name.xui.

You can't open Aurora skin files in XUI Workshop.  They are completely different binary types.   The XUR files that are used by the XBOX GUIDE are a different version than the XUR files that are used by AURORA.   Microsoft created a new version of the XUR format specifically for use with XBOX GUIDE to offer special features and controls as well as compress the files using special packing algorithms to minimize the in memory foot print as much as possible.

In summary....   if you are making a skin for Aurora, you use XUI Tool, if you are modifying Freestyle Plugin or messing with Xbox GUIDE in any way, you use XUI Workshop.  

Good luck

XUI Tool can certainly open XUR files.   You just goto File -> Open -> Change your file filter to All Files (*.*) and select the xur file.  Then you'll want to goto File -> Save As -> and save it as file_name.xui.

You can't open Aurora skin files in XUI Workshop.  They are completely different binary types.   The XUR files that are used by the XBOX GUIDE are a different version than the XUR files that are used by AURORA.   Microsoft created a new version of the XUR format specifically for use with XBOX GUIDE to offer special features and controls as well as compress the files using special packing algorithms to minimize the in memory foot print as much as possible.

In summary....   if you are making a skin for Aurora, you use XUI Tool, if you are modifying Freestyle Plugin or messing with Xbox GUIDE in any way, you use XUI Workshop.  

Good luck

Thanks so much for the very valuable tips, really appreciated  :clap:

I'm indeed a beginner in XUI but please give some credit here :) I definitely tried changing the file filter and it never worked before. Finally after I was able to generate the skin xui and all other XUI files on another machine, only then XUI Tool started to work as expected (opening XUI and XUR).

I just didn't try again to open XUR files since I already had the XUI files. I tried now and it's working great.

I wonder why some people on forums said that XUI Tool only deal with XUI!!!

• Like 1

How did you manage to get access into the guide modification? I cant think of any developer who modified tue guide for some reason. I cant see examples?

How did you manage to get access into the guide modification? I cant think of any developer who modified tue guide for some reason. I cant see examples?

Team FSD modified the guide to add a file manager, and link. That is the only example I can think of. All of the xui files are included with the latest FSD, and Aurora. As far as skin developers, I cant see any reason this should matter.

Im talking about the official game devs

I dont think chat rooms are coded by them. That is always the same so they would have an API

Im talking about the official game devs

I dont think chat rooms are coded by them. That is always the same so they would have an API

I spent many weeks reversing the XUR binary format and writing a converter to get the files in XUI format (thats what XUI Workshop does)... Once they were in XUI format, we had to create special extension files that allowed our "consumer" version of XUITool to open them.  

Once we can open in XUI Tool, we can make our changes.   From there- Wondro wrote the portion of XUI Workshop that converts the XUI format back into a XUR file that GUIDE can load...

I guess to answer your question- no other devs do this because they aren't allowed to, thats the benefit to being in the scene we are in...  that said, Microsoft offers some very few custom API options to modify a few things but nothing as extensive as we have done.

Good luck

I hope this solves my proublem.

1. Where can i download XUI Tools (Xbox 360 Development Kit) - please gimme  a Link

2. XuiWorkshop is not working brings up errors and just crahes (Windows 7 x64 Bit)

XUI Tools are part of the Xbox 360 Development kit (also known as XDK) these are illegal to distribute, so you won't be getting a direct link on this forum, sorry...