RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Kidsdontfloat

External HDD advice.

Hi there, I'm new to pretty much all of this. I bought a brand new Slim console and got it modded last week and now I'm trying to catch up on all the info in these forums, 

One of the things I've been unable to find enough info on was External HDD's and the best matches for my Xbox. So far I've gathered the following info.

- HDD can be no larger than 2TB
- HDD has to be Fat32. 
- HDD needs to draw power from someplace other than the Xbox. 
- HDD needs to be USB 2.0 compatible. 

I'm shopping for a 2TB hdd now. Is there anything else that I need to know? Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe drives you've used yourselves? 

This is what I'm currently looking at. Anyone see any issues with it? Thanks so much for your help!

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B0041OSQBG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1380437748&sr=1-7&keywords=External+HDD

The wd drive you have chosen will work just fine. I have used (and still got) one of these and they are good value for the money. If i remember correctly with this drive it self powers down after a certain amount of time (power save), which really is no issue if its constantly in use but there is a way to turn the power save of.

It comes with its own little gui where you can adjust the setting of the drive, all you have to do is turn the power save feature of and your good. When you power down your console the drive will also power down.

If you do not want to adjust the settings for the hdd then you can set dash launch to poll the drive every minute or two to keep it from entering power save mode.

All the apps for the wd drive come on the drive itself. Remember to make a backup of these apps before you format the drive the fat32, not really a necessity as I believe you could just download them from there website but it might save you a bit of hassle.

If you see prolonged boot times with your console with the hdd connected, as in it seems to hang on the boot logo do not be surprised as this is perfectly normal. All thats happening is the console is scanning the drive for content so the more content you have on the drive the longer it takes to complete the scan.

Hi there, I'm new to pretty much all of this. I bought a brand new Slim console and got it modded last week and now I'm trying to catch up on all the info in these forums, 

One of the things I've been unable to find enough info on was External HDD's and the best matches for my Xbox. So far I've gathered the following info.

- HDD can be no larger than 2TB

- HDD has to be Fat32. 

- HDD needs to draw power from someplace other than the Xbox. 

- HDD needs to be USB 2.0 compatible. 

I'm shopping for a 2TB hdd now. Is there anything else that I need to know? Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe drives you've used yourselves? 

This is what I'm currently looking at. Anyone see any issues with it? Thanks so much for your help!

http://www.amazon.com/Book-External-Drive-Storage-Backup/dp/B0041OSQBG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1380437748&sr=1-7&keywords=External+HDD

The no-power from console rule isn't true, it however is recommended that you use a "big" one, meaning one that draws power from your wall socket as this means that it'll generally have better performance (less lagg for games)

Most USB harddrives are delivered with NTFS, so you have to format it yourself, windows won't do it, but if you're using windows use this tool to format (it's the recommended one across all scenes and so on): http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

One more thing; you can use any HDD up to 4TB (the limit of FAT32) i have used my 3TB WD with my 360 without a problem :)

• Like 1

One more thing; you can use any HDD up to 4TB (the limit of FAT32) i have used my 3TB WD with my 360 without a problem :)

really? I thought 2TB was the limit

really? I thought 2TB was the limit

Dunno why, but my memory says i have used my 3TB drive without a problem... but it depends on the sector size used, 4K sectors = 16TiB maximum apparently, but yeah... normally it's 2TB maximum xD i also don't know where i got 4TB maximum from... maybe my mind mixed up TB and GB and put it in the wrong context(?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_allocation_table

maybe only the first 2tb were accessible to the system and the rest ended in the "twilight zone", visible but not available

kinda like what happened with windows 95 and "big" hdds in the good ol' fat16 days  :ninja: